Sportsnet: Why Kypreos believes Maple Leafs should trade Mitch Marner

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I don't have a problem with Kypper and his hot take, but the way he rationalized the argument to trade Marner was almost like someone bumbling around to think of ways to rationalize it.......he's behind Bozak??......"Cmon..are you done yet".

It was painful to watch. This much hockey talk on a daily basis by him and the rest of that panel takes it toll on you I guess, just way oversaturated with hockey content. More is less sometimes.

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
I think he has proved in the past few years to having a track record he is privy to information that others may not know. I recall this tweet and Shanahan was signed not soon after. So obviously he has some insider's information. You just don't throw this out this tweet on a guess. But I am always amused when people do not agree with an opinion. They try to discredit source. Whether it is Dreger, Kyper or ect...

A single tweet from almost 4 years ago is your proof than Kypreos is legit? You do realize Eklund has broken as many (more, actually) stories than kipper in their careers, right?

You are actually doing the opposite of what you intended, and have shown he is far from connected and intelligent. So, thanks for not much, I guess?

Quiet Jack

Mar 24, 2017
The kid's going through a sophmore jinx and Kypreos and his CTE afflicted brain comes up with the Leafs trying to shop him. Just go away Kypreos.
Are posts like this really necessary? Claiming that someone has CTE and they should just go away?

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I agree that Kypreos is trying to create controversy as usual.
But he's correct in saying that eventually the Leafs will likely have to significantly improve their defense if they want to be a true contender.
Good defenseman cost a lot to acquire as they are in high demand so it likely will take one of the Leafs better offensive players to get a significant improvement to the blue line. There's always free agency as well but it's pretty rare that a decent defenseman makes it to free agency. And the price is insane.
The next couple of years will be interesting to see what the Leafs do to improve the defense. This is the most difficult stage of a rebuild IMO. Taking a team from a playoff team to a true contender. And it's here that most rebuilds go sideways.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The one thing that the Leafs do have, is depth at F. Trading Marner for a Dman isn't an awful idea if it's for the right Dman. But finding a team with extra high end Dmen are far and few between.

Reactions: Nizdizzle and JBM

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
The only reason he is a Leaf today is because LouLam is too nice a guy to make Hunter look like a dumdum, has nothing to do with being patient with a potential franchise player who had shown the ability to be a gamechanger at the NHL before turning 20 or owning a razor.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
If a Cup winning team can find a place for Kypreos on its roster, then one can find a place for Marner.

It's not like the Leafs were having trouble fitting him in last year.

Sheesh.

Quiet Jack

Mar 24, 2017
Sure. People can post their opinions all they want ;)
I think the post I replied to stated he had CTE as a fact and not an opinion. Anyway, how do I find my posts in a thread like this? I have searched the 14 pages or whatever and keep not seeing it. Is there an easier way? I'm curious as to exactly what the poster said that I replied to.

Oh, I also think CTE talk as a negative about someone is tasteless but if you really think it's fair game then whatevs.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
You'd be f***ing stupid to trade Marner at this point. He's a highly skilled player figuring out how to be effective in the NHL. Players like Marner don't grow on trees. The Leafs aren't a contender yet but they will be in the next few years and Marner will be a big part of that. Unless you trade him, then you watch as he scores 80 points in 2018/2019 for a rival team.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think Kypreos would be more credible if he wore Johnny's Carnac hat for all TV appearances
carnac_the_magnificent-resized-600.jpg

Flamesjustwin

Oct 8, 2010
London ON
Do people in the trade section get off on hyperbolic statements about Tanev? He’s better than everyone you listed and is a right shot on top of it. Literally the only thing that might make him on par with the other guys value is his injury history.
No, people who are not Canuck fans laugh at Canuck fans trying to pawn off Tanev as a top pairing D man. He is not comparable to those others, nobody is believing he is a top pairing D man no matter how many times you try so you and your other Canuck poster friends might as well stop. Nobody is buying it, we actually watch hockey you know.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Marner's a player one would almost certainly have to offer a lot for to pry from his current team.

Kypreos has taken a lot of criticism on this thread and his reasoning may be off, but I don't know that the conclusion necessarily is.

Trading a player does NOT mean you dislike him, his play or his character nor that you're giving up on him. If you're high on a player's future but some other team thinks even more of him or is desperate for what the player brings so willing to overpay, then you have a chance to help your team even if the player you trade away is really good.

All it means (in the case of a young player) is that someone is higher on his future than you are and hence willing to give up assets you think will do your team (even) more good in the future.

To make an example on a much larger scale, Eric Lindros was worth a lot in trade in 1992 and the Avalanche thought a lot of him. Of course there are differences-the Leafs don't have to trade Marner and his value isn't on the same scale as that of Lindros, but despite how good Lindros was, someone was willing to overpay and that trade helped the Avalanche.

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad