Sportsnet: Why, just why did they do this?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Looks like I will watch on mute
don't be silly

put the game on pause,,have fan/590 or tsn1050 running on your comp with Joe Bowen

and then start the game when the radio delay catches up

i do it all the time,,it's actually not hard at all.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Indeed, who could forget such memorable calls as “the defender lost his stick.” :rolleyes:

—————————

No but really what’s the point of paying whatever high price Sportsnet did for Cuthbert if he isn’t going to be their #1 guy? Not to mention that this decision goes so out of the way for both men as Hughson lives out in B.C. while Cuthbert I’m pretty sure calls the GTA home.

This right here sums it up. He made a double overtime goal sound like a mid February game. Just so awful.

OddyOh

Really, Healy?
Aug 18, 2010
Regina, SK
Simpson is bad. I’ve posted this before, how he has to mention “confidence” every time he opens his mouth. Watch any game he’s done, it’s all he talks about, as if it’s some amazing insight that only he can provide.
Also I hate the way they pick a narrative, then hammer on it all game long, even when it becomes more obvious that it isn’t going the way they said it would. Doubling down on it.
Hoping the NHL app has a “ballpark audio” feed this year.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
honestly, it gets tiring when you read these things and it's just all "Well leafs fans want to be coddled." no. they don't. I would argue any fan simply wants a well called game. Call the team out when its deserved, defend them when its deserved, and call a great game. Hughson - sometimes can do this. but it's very rare. (honestly, I'd rather have XYZ - Simpson - ABC because whatever issues Simpson has with the team he gives the team credit.

I don't know why they'd get cuthbert, and not give him to Toronto, and put Hughson out west where he clearly likes to be.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
This pandemic has brought things in perspective for me. I am not going to complain about announcers, or any other trivial things. We are lucky we get hockey back even though it's no where near business as usual yet.

Reactions: OddyOh and ACC1224

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
don't be silly

put the game on pause,,have fan/590 or tsn1050 running on your comp with Joe Bowen

and then start the game when the radio delay catches up

i do it all the time,,it's actually not hard at all.

The radio broadcast is ahead of the tv though , at least for me, and it depends if watching on Satellite or something else, as the delay will be different.
Possible the tv will be delayed for 7 seconds for swearing.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
This pandemic has brought things in perspective for me. I am not going to complain about announcers, or any other trivial things. We are lucky we get hockey back even though it's no where near business as usual yet.
great perspective. :thumbu::thumbu:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It's pretty simple why they did it. They weren't going to break-up Simpson and Hughson mid-year, and if they are choosing to pair Cuthbert with DeBrust, they aren't going to move DeBrusk to the east for it. Even if I would prefer Cuthbert. But, the other option was probably Cuthbert/Millen with the Leafs, and I'm sure we would hate that almost as much.

Reactions: robertmac43

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Sportsnet has always used terrible announcers like Romanuk and Millen for their most popular (Leafs) broadcast. Then they wonder why their ratings are down causing mass layoffs.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Hughson and Simpson are fine IMO
I prefer Cuth to Hugh
And prefer Simpson to DeBrusk so I am good.

Anything to avoid Garrett on the mic

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Sportsnet has always used terrible announcers like Romanuk and Millen for their most popular (Leafs) broadcast. Then they wonder why their ratings are down causing mass layoffs.

I am pretty sure Romanuk and Millen are only on the regional (Leafs region) broadcasts - like Bowen/Millen used to be.

Ratings shouldn't really matter in terms of who the play by play guys are - are you watching the game because you are cheering for the Leafs and are a fan of the team, or are you watching to hear the play by play? I wouldn't care if Bert and Ernie were calling the game, I tune in because I am a true hard core Leafs fan (sometimes over the years I questioned why...lol).

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I am pretty sure Romanuk and Millen are only on the regional (Leafs region) broadcasts - like Bowen/Millen used to be.

Ratings shouldn't really matter in terms of who the play by play guys are - are you watching the game because you are cheering for the Leafs and are a fan of the team, or are you watching to hear the play by play? I wouldn't care if Bert and Ernie were calling the game, I tune in because I am a true hard core Leafs fan (sometimes over the years I questioned why...lol).
It's not that people won't watch, it's that due to the announcers they will look for an alternate way to view.

Last edited:
Reactions: Auston Escobar

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
No Leafs-Jackets on CBC is the real kicker
For those of us living outside of the GTA broadcast area, it looks like NHL.TV is knocking down the subscription cost to $3.99 for one team or $4.99 for complete coverage. I usually don't bite but it's pretty tempting for a no pain quick watch of the Leafs vs Jackets play-in. I realize it doesn't apply to a lot of folks on here, but I just wanted to mention it since it wasn't super well advertised and finding other feeds can be a pain.

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017

I don’t think there’s a person on this forum who wouldn’t love to hear Bert and Ernie call a game.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Has nothing to do with Hughson not 'fanboying' out. It has to do with his complete total and absolute disdain for the team and it's fan base.

He hates the Maple Leafs and he doesn't try to hide it.

I don't need a fanboy and neither do I need some someone who detests the team doing our games either.

Thats the bottom line. The leafs prop up who knows how many teams with their profits from Leaf Nation and we cannot even have an unbiased and smart announcer.

No you get someone who has actually said on air how much he hates the leafs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad