Sportsnet: Why, just why did they do this?

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Has nothing to do with Hughson not 'fanboying' out. It has to do with his complete total and absolute disdain for the team and it's fan base.

He hates the Maple Leafs and he doesn't try to hide it.

I don't need a fanboy and neither do I need some someone who detests the team doing our games either.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Has nothing to do with Hughson not 'fanboying' out. It has to do with his complete total and absolute disdain for the team and it's fan base.

I don't need a fanboy and neither do I need some someone who detests the team doing our games either.

I'd much rather have somebody non-biased that knows the game as well, but I would much rather have a fanboy like Joe Bowen calling the games again over Hughson. At least we can get excited about the Leafs together.

If the Bruins can have Jack Edwards calling games, I don't see why we can't have our own guy.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Want to see some staggering fanboy, catching other team's broadcasts.
There's millions of Leaf fans, all types of people, etc. And I've never seen
one Toronto fan every even remotely approach the bias of some broadcasters.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
I'd much rather have somebody non-biased that knows the game as well, but I would much rather have a fanboy like Joe Bowen calling the games again over Hughson. At least we can get excited about the Leafs together.

If the Bruins can have Jack Edwards calling games, I don't see why we can't have our own guy.

If I had to choose I'd take the fanboy over the Disdainer too.

A big part about how pathetic Hughson is is how he tries to pretend he's being unbiased when he clearly isn't.

btw - let's not let his buddy Simpson off the hook, he's the same

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
SN trolling
Hughson and Simpleton

again why?

It could be a cynical business decision.

Leafs fans will watch the broadcast regardless of the play by play man.

Leafs haters may only watch when their boy is calling the play by play.

It is all about ratings and getting the greatest number of people triggered enough to watch.

:nopity:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

As an Oilers fan who's had to listen to Hughson too many times here in the West:

Hughson only likes two teams: the Canucks, and whoever is playing against the Hawks (probably because the Hawks destroyed the Canucks so many times in the playoffs).

It's no surprise he sounded bored as hell when he called that game in Toronto between the Oilers and Leafs. He hates both teams.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

I remember a game recently, the Leafs had something like 20+ shots on goal in the 1st period, with time to go, dominating play and Hughsons comment is, "The Leafs look like they are skating in sand, having a hard time getting going tonight..." Simpsons turn to comment " ...... (dead air....)...." Simpson was so dumbfounded by that statement he was speechless.... on pace for 60+ freaking shots on net and they are having a hard time getting going...?

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
I've never found Hughson as bad as this forum would lead you to believe. I have noticed that he spends much more time praising Leafs opponents than Joe Bowan, but he'll still still call great plays we make in an exciting fashion.

That's because it is a national broadcast. The best networks/announcers, especially when doing a national broadcast should be un-biased/down the middle with their play by play. Bowen was/is great as a Leafs fan, and he is a very big fan himself, so that is why he got to do the regional games on TV (not national). Imagine being a fan of the other team and having to watch Bowen call the game? I have watched my fair share of Detroit and Buffalo broadcasts - and Mickey Redmond and Rick Jeanerette are absolutely disgusting to listen to (as a fan of the other team).

Hughson is not that bad, unless you are looking to pick apart every word he says. Stop looking for something to be offended by, or some anti-Leaf conspiracy. Get ready for some late summer hockey and hopefully a nice run. Who is or is not calling the game on TV should be the least of anyone's concerns. Hughson is good at what he does, and has hardware to prove it. If I had my way, we would get the TSN crew, but so be it.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Hughson is not that bad, unless you are looking to pick apart every word he says. Stop looking for something to be offended by, or some anti-Leaf conspiracy. Get ready for some late summer hockey and hopefully a nice run. Who is or is not calling the game on TV should be the least of anyone's concerns. Hughson is good at what he does, and has hardware to prove it. If I had my way, we would get the TSN crew, but so be it.

My feelings exactly. Will we avoid tons of positive tests derailing this thing before it starts? Once we begin, will we be able to continue until the cup is awarded? These are real concerns for me, at least 1000 times more important then who will be calling the games.

I just want to see our Leafs play up to their potential and if the commentators are terrible, I'll happily turn the sound off and play some rock'n roll instead. GLG!!

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I've never found Hughson as bad as this forum would lead you to believe. I have noticed that he spends much more time praising Leafs opponents than Joe Bowan, but he'll still still call great plays we make in an exciting fashion.

Indeed, who could forget such memorable calls as “the defender lost his stick.” :rolleyes:

—————————

No but really what’s the point of paying whatever high price Sportsnet did for Cuthbert if he isn’t going to be their #1 guy? Not to mention that this decision goes so out of the way for both men as Hughson lives out in B.C. while Cuthbert I’m pretty sure calls the GTA home.

Last edited:

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
As an Oilers fan who's had to listen to Hughson too many times here in the West:

Hughson only likes two teams: the Canucks, and whoever is playing against the Hawks (probably because the Hawks destroyed the Canucks so many times in the playoffs).

It's no surprise he sounded bored as hell when he called that game in Toronto between the Oilers and Leafs. He hates both teams.

He's just not very professional.

Reactions: smitty10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad