Sportsnet: Why, just why did they do this?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Here is the thing, why can’t National broadcasters show emotion and joy when the teams scored.
I would have no problem if Bowen Or anyone doing the play by play and whenever the teams score-Leafs or whichever team they are playing against- go all out and say, so and so scorrrrrrreeeddd, what a goal by so and so and what a setup by so and so......

That’s excitement that all fans would appreciate.
HNIC sucks bc there is no excitement whatsoever ever from the announcers and since Hockey is not like NFL, where each play can be broken down. If the play by play shows no emotion, it sucks.
Here was when Kasperi Kapanen scored in double overtime against Washington in Game 2 of their series. The first thing Hughson mentions is how John Carlson lost his stick and acted like he scored in overtime in the regular season or a pre-season game.

Here was Hughson's call of Alex Burrows scoring in overtime of Game 7 to defeat Chicago and you hear how excited he was and doesn't bring up right away how Chris Campoli gave the puck away.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Here was when Kasperi Kapanen scored in double overtime against Washington in Game 2 of their series. The first thing Hughson mentions is how John Carlson lost his stick and acted like he scored in overtime in the regular season or a pre-season game.

Here was Hughson's call of Alex Burrows scoring in overtime of Game 7 to defeat Chicago and you hear how excited he was and doesn't bring up right away how Chris Campoli gave the puck away.

wow, great examples that show how stark the difference is. you could almost hear him crying, struggling to raise his voice in the first one. the wind knocked out of his sails.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
wow, great examples that show how stark the difference is. you could almost hear him crying, struggling to raise his voice in the first one. the wind knocked out of his sails.
Here is what Joe Bowen sounded like on Kapanen's overtime goal and here was the differences between his call of Tyler Bozak's overtime goal in Game 3 compared to Hughson's call.

Bowen's call of Bozak's Game 3 overtime goal.

Hughson's call of Bozak's Game 3 overtime goal.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Here is what Joe Bowen sounded like on Kapanen's overtime goal and here was the differences between his call of Tyler Bozak's overtime goal in Game 3 compared to Hughson's call.

It's fun hearing Hughson have his heart broken, but still being forced to comment on what is in fact happening (i.e. Leafs winning) and feign excitement.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

My point is as long as the play by play guy is showing excitement for both teams, I think people will be fine with that.

There is no doubt that Hughson is lifeless when it comes to Leafs

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
My point is as long as the play by play guy is showing excitement for both teams, I think people will be fine with that.

There is no doubt that Hughson is lifeless when it comes to Leafs
The best examples of national broadcasters who shows excitement is Chris Cuthbert and when he was still working you can include Bob Cole.

Besides Hughson having some personal hate against Toronto, it's those subtle digs where he bashes them during the game that we hate.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
do you have any idea of how far out of the GTA you have to be for this to be viable?

Is this post serious?

If yes then please outline what your point is exactly.

If no then good. I didn't laugh but at least you tried [I think?].

For easy reference here is the post that rumman quoted :

For those of us living outside of the GTA broadcast area, it looks like NHL.TV is knocking down the subscription cost to $3.99 for one team or $4.99 for complete coverage. I usually don't bite but it's pretty tempting for a no pain quick watch of the Leafs vs Jackets play-in. I realize it doesn't apply to a lot of folks on here, but I just wanted to mention it since it wasn't super well advertised and finding other feeds can be a pain.

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough

Ladies and gentlemen the #1 PBP guy in Canada.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
When Rogers hired Chris Cuthbert I thought he would become the new #1 play by play broadcaster for HNIC and take over from Hughson calling Leafs games that were broadcast nationally across Canada.

Except for wishful thinking by Hughson-hating Leafs fans, there was zero indication that would happen.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Except for wishful thinking by Hughson-hating Leafs fans, there was zero indication that would happen.
Besides them offering a good amount of money for him to leave TSN, he also called their CFL games which included the Grey Cup. So he was giving that up for the opportunity to work for Rogers. So I would have thought he would have asked to be their #1 play by play announcer that included any Leafs national games on Sportsnet. That would have been no different then him negotiating that he broadcast the Gold Medal game at the 2010 Winter Olympics.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Besides them offering a good amount of money for him to leave TSN, he also called their CFL games which included the Grey Cup. So he was giving that up for the opportunity to work for Rogers. So I would have thought he would have asked to be their #1 play by play announcer that included any Leafs national games on Sportsnet. That would have been no different then him negotiating that he broadcast the Gold Medal game at the 2010 Winter Olympics.

I don't see how he isn't the #1 announcer for these playoffs. It's just that, due to current conditions, the Edmonton hub is also #1/hosting the Stanley Cup final.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I don't see how he isn't the #1 announcer for these playoffs. It's just that, due to current conditions, the Edmonton hub is also #1/hosting the Stanley Cup final.
That maybe true but since Toronto is #1 in terms of ratings you think they would want him calling the Leafs games.

So I guess we will wait and see between Cuthbert and Hughson who will be calling the Stanley Cup Final and who will broadcast Leafs national games for the 2020-21 season.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
That maybe true but since Toronto is #1 in terms of ratings you think they would want him calling the Leafs games.

So I guess we will wait and see between Cuthbert and Hughson who will be calling the Stanley Cup Final and who will broadcast Leafs national games for the 2020-21 season.

Next season might very well be a different story. For now, Cuthbert is calling the games with the highest stakes. Great opportunity for him.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Next season might very well be a different story. For now, Cuthbert is calling the games with the highest stakes. Great opportunity for him.
If Toronto makes the Eastern Conference Final this year and with those games being played in Edmonton, then we will see which games Rogers wants him to be broadcasting.

Reactions: Buds17

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If Toronto makes the Eastern Conference Final this year and with those games being played in Edmonton, then we will see which games Rogers wants him to be broadcasting.
What difference will it make if the Leafs are there?

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

What difference will it make if the Leafs are there?

I think in the sense that Cuthbert will call one series, while Hughson would call the other. This has happened in the past with one broadcast team calling the East CF while another called the West CF (Hughson called Bruins-Canes last year, while Randorf called Sharks-Blues). I don’t think that’ll be the case this year though given the bubble. Cuthbert might very well call both Conference Final given they’ll each be in the same location.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
I watch most sports on mute nowadays.The patter is brutal.:confused:

You could always do what we do sometimes. Some games you just know Hughson and company are going to be unsufferable. We put the game on and then stream the Bowen play by play. At least then when we play the nucks we actually hear about both teams not just brown nosing and coddling from Hughson till we want to vomit.
Can always mute to watch important replays if need be but it usually isnt. Much better and more enjoyable banter from Joe anyways

Reactions: Beaumaris

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think in the sense that Cuthbert will call one series, while Hughson would call the other. This has happened in the past with one broadcast team calling the East CF while another called the West CF (Hughson called Bruins-Canes last year, while Randorf called Sharks-Blues). I don’t think that’ll be the case this year though given the bubble. Cuthbert might very well call both Conference Final given they’ll each be in the same location.
If the Leafs make the ECF why would anyone care who calls the series? Seems pretty silly to me.

Reactions: Cams, kb and Buds17

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC

The silence from Hughson is catastrophically deafening. f*** you Hughson.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Are they actually going to be in the rink? If so then I agree Cuthbert got the "west" since 1) the finals (and semis?) will be in Edmonton, and they want Cuthbert to call those 2) more Canadian team games in the West bubble

Hughson probably would have called the Leafs playoff series anyway and has for the last 3 years. TBH I just assumed Cuthbert to Sportsnet would commence next season, but I'm pleasantly surprised we'll hear him this summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->