Sportsnet: Why, just why did they do this?

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
If the Leafs make the ECF why would anyone care who calls the series? Seems pretty silly to me.

Agreed. But then I also think to myself wouldnt it be nice to be able to actually enjoy the broadcast and not have play by play from someone upset his team choked and the Leafs are contenders.

The thought of having the leafs win the cup and having hughson say something like " well the leafs won.... silence" just to ruin the moment of elation and joy he will never know in his lifetime for his beloved canucks.....makes me slightly ill.

Listening to Hughson is almost as painful as playing NHL20 and hearing that snoop dog is going to be around for the second period lol

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Agreed. But then I also think to myself wouldnt it be nice to be able to actually enjoy the broadcast and not have play by play from someone upset his team choked and the Leafs are contenders.

The thought of having the leafs win the cup and having hughson say something like " well the leafs won.... silence" just to ruin the moment of elation and joy he will never know in his lifetime for his beloved canucks.....makes me slightly ill.

Listening to Hughson is almost as painful as playing NHL20 and hearing that snoop dog is going to be around for the second period lol
If the Leafs are in the verge of winning, Leaf fans will be going nuts. Can’t imagine anyone listening to the broadcast intently.

Reactions: Cams and kb

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
When Rogers hired Chris Cuthbert I thought he would become the new #1 play by play broadcaster for HNIC and take over from Hughson calling Leafs games that were broadcast nationally across Canada.
It was reported that Cuthbert was promised at least two Stanley Cup finals.

As for whether Cuthbert calls regular season Leafs games, we'll find out in a few months. Rogers removed Romanuk from regional games due to fan backlash (and his own incompetence). I doubt Hughson will stop doing Leafs games, but Rogers would be foolish not to give Cuthbert some national games.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
The silence from Hughson is catastrophically deafening. f*** you Hughson.

That’s his Schtik, he always leaves dead silence after calling a goal, to let fans absorb the moment. Cole did this as well, calls the goal then silence, Gary Galley said if you spoke during that time Cole would be mad and tell you about it later.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Are they actually going to be in the rink? If so then I agree Cuthbert got the "west" since 1) the finals (and semis?) will be in Edmonton, and they want Cuthbert to call those 2) more Canadian team games in the West bubble

I heard the announcers aren’t in the bubble, just cameramen and production staff.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
What difference will it make if the Leafs are there?
Obviously the Leafs making the Eastern Conference Final will be what we care the most about.

However since the Conference Finals are being played in Edmonton and that's where Rogers is sending Cuthbert, we will then see if they keep Hughson doing the Leafs games or switch to Cuthbert.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
That’s his Schtik, he always leaves dead silence after calling a goal, to let fans absorb the moment. Cole did this as well, calls the goal then silence, Gary Galley said if you spoke during that time Cole would be mad and tell you about it later.

There is a world of difference between

"He scores...Leafs win................Holy Mackinaw Leafs win"

and

"He scores... the defensmen dropped his stick so the leafs win"

which play by play call would you rather hear when watching the game again... or in the highlights...etc

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It was reported that Cuthbert was promised at least two Stanley Cup finals.

As for whether Cuthbert calls regular season Leafs games, we'll find out in a few months. Rogers removed Romanuk from regional games due to fan backlash (and his own incompetence). I doubt Hughson will stop doing Leafs games, but Rogers would be foolish not to give Cuthbert some national games.
Even though that's something Rogers ended up doing, Leafs fans wanted Joe Bowen to broadcast their regional games on Sportsnet and that didn't happen.

The hypocritical thing about that is Rogers kept the same regional announcers for the Canucks, Flames, and Oilers when they took over the Canadian rights from TSN and for some reason Bowen was originally replaced on TV by Romanuk, despite broadcasting their regional games on Sportsnet up to the 2013-14 season.

Reactions: keonsbitterness

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Even though that's something Rogers ended up doing, Leafs fans wanted Joe Bowen to broadcast their regional games on Sportsnet and that didn't happen.

The hypocritical thing about that is Rogers kept the same regional announcers for the Canucks, Flames, and Oilers when they took over the Canadian rights from TSN and for some reason Bowen was originally replaced on TV by Romanuk, despite broadcasting their regional games on Sportsnet up to the 2013-14 season.

Even stranger that more viewers means more money and a bigger tit for the rest of the league to leech off of.
Truly smart to lower the standards for one of the leagues largest fanbases that provide other fans with a team to cheer for in their shit hole of a town in the desert etc

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Even stranger that more viewers means more money and a bigger tit for the rest of the league to leech off of.
Truly smart to lower the standards for one of the leagues largest fanbases that provide other fans with a team to cheer for in their shit hole of a town in the desert etc
I remember reading how Bowen wanted to broadcast Leafs regional games, so I still don't know why Sportsnet didn't let him continue doing that?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
isnt Bowen with TSN, or do you mean TSN regional games?
When Bowen was broadcasting their regional games on Sportsnet during the 2013-14 season, TSN was already using either Gord Miller or Chris Cuthbert when they were broadcasting regional games.

So I still don't know why Sportsnet replaced him with Paul Romanuk as their regional TV broadcaster, even though they never did that on the regional broadcasts for the Canucks, Flames, and Oilers.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Want to see some staggering fanboy, catching other team's broadcasts.
There's millions of Leaf fans, all types of people, etc. And I've never seen
one Toronto fan every even remotely approach the bias of some broadcasters.
Seriously? There are several on this site!:nod:

Reactions: Cams

The Nic

Jul 26, 2009
The SCF will be in Edmonton. Guess it's a matter of the "new" commentator drawing the biggest game(s)? I don't mind Hughson. Would have preferred Cuthbert though.
I mind Hughson... I mind him a lot. The Leafs would get more fairness and respect if Habs legend Danny Gallivan were calling our games. Hughson can't seem to get over his love affair with the Canucks... as if they've ever accomplished anything of note.

Rogers really is super tone deaf on this subject, aren't they? It's their money... but I hardly ever watch the Leafs on Saturday night any more. When I do, the sound's turned off. I wonder if their advertisers realize just how badly Rogers has messed up NHL hockey in the Toronto market.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
I mind Hughson... I mind him a lot. The Leafs would get more fairness and respect if Habs legend Danny Gallivan were calling our games. Hughson can't seem to get over his love affair with the Canucks... as if they've ever accomplished anything of note.

Rogers really is super tone deaf on this subject, aren't they? It's their money... but I hardly ever watch the Leafs on Saturday night any more. When I do, the sound's turned off. I wonder if their advertisers realize just how badly Rogers has messed up NHL hockey in the Toronto market.

Long as the league gets the money to prop up failing US teams they will never ever give a shit.

Reactions: kb

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

I wonder why Rogers seemed to listen when Leafs fans complained about Paul Romanuk since they fired him, however they keep Hughson on for broadcasting Leafs games. They don't even need to fire him, just assign him to call any of the Western Canadian teams or as many Canucks games as possible.

Reactions: kb

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I wonder why Rogers seemed to listen when Leafs fans complained about Paul Romanuk since they fired him, however they keep Hughson on for broadcasting Leafs games. They don't even need to fire him, just assign him to call any of the Western Canadian teams or as many Canucks games as possible.
or more likely they didn't listen to a few fans and removed Romanuk for their own reasons.

Beaumaris

May 21, 2015
You could always do what we do sometimes. Some games you just know Hughson and company are going to be unsufferable. We put the game on and then stream the Bowen play by play. At least then when we play the nucks we actually hear about both teams not just brown nosing and coddling from Hughson till we want to vomit.
Can always mute to watch important replays if need be but it usually isnt. Much better and more enjoyable banter from Joe anyways
Nowadays this old guy is quite happy watching his sports in silence.:thumbu:

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Guaranteed that Romanuk’s fate was sealed the minute he mistakenly said on air that Chychrun’s father was dead and then had to apologize after the commercial break. He was incompetent as all hell but that was whole other level of screw up.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Guaranteed that Romanuk’s fate was sealed the minute he mistakenly said on air that Chychrun’s father was dead and then had to apologize after the commercial break. He was incompetent as all hell but that was whole other level of screw up.
What about when he said how he wanted to see Shane Doan score his 400th NHL goal, which happened to be against Toronto when he was broadcasting a Maple Leafs regional game.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Want to see some staggering fanboy, catching other team's broadcasts.
There's millions of Leaf fans, all types of people, etc. And I've never seen
one Toronto fan every even remotely approach the bias of some broadcasters.

For the most part I like to hear the oppositions broadcast, for their honesty and clarity about
the Leafs. Everyone one of them lauds the Leafs' offense, but the Nashville guys did say,
they can give up some goals too. Completely objective.

Reactions: OddyOh

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Hughsons delivery is about as exciting as watching a snail climbing up the side of a well.

Riveting I tell you, absolutely riveting.... games will be on mute for me or watching the NBC feed, and feeling so dirty about it but that’s what SN wants, apparently.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
Hughsons delivery is about as exciting as watching a snail climbing up the side of a well.

Riveting I tell you, absolutely riveting.... games will be on mute for me or watching the NBC feed, and feeling so dirty about it but that’s what SN wants, apparently.
haha bet his delivery would be better if he was announcing the canucks....

the squared circle

Aug 3, 2005
Maple Leaf Gardens
I watched five minutes of the oilers and flames game last night. The difference between Cuthbert and Hughson is like night and day. I was so happy to hear Cuthbert was coming back. Oh well.

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019
Jim Hughson isn't the voice of the leafs, he can't be when most of the fan base doesn't even want him. The same way Paul Romanuk wasn't

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad