Sportsnet: Why, just why did they do this?

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
For those of us living outside of the GTA broadcast area, it looks like NHL.TV is knocking down the subscription cost to $3.99 for one team or $4.99 for complete coverage. I usually don't bite but it's pretty tempting for a no pain quick watch of the Leafs vs Jackets play-in. I realize it doesn't apply to a lot of folks on here, but I just wanted to mention it since it wasn't super well advertised and finding other feeds can be a pain.

Sadly ive went with American or opposing teams feeds for quite some time now. The era of the fans having someone enjoyable do the play by play has come and gone. The league doesn't give a f*** about Canadian teams players or fans. They simply want our money to prop up failing businesses. Only business model in the world that has companies actually paying to have their competition stay afloat. OTSS and nothing more imho

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
I've never found Hughson as bad as this forum would lead you to believe. I have noticed that he spends much more time praising Leafs opponents than Joe Bowan, but he'll still still call great plays we make in an exciting fashion.

When leafs score game winning goal... oh the leafs win...
When a goal is scored against the leafs he acts like hes about to have a heart attack. Hes a disgrace and an embarassment to the sport

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
For those of us living outside of the GTA broadcast area, it looks like NHL.TV is knocking down the subscription cost to $3.99 for one team or $4.99 for complete coverage. I usually don't bite but it's pretty tempting for a no pain quick watch of the Leafs vs Jackets play-in. I realize it doesn't apply to a lot of folks on here, but I just wanted to mention it since it wasn't super well advertised and finding other feeds can be a pain.
do you have any idea of how far out of the GTA you have to be for this to be viable?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
The radio broadcast is ahead of the tv though , at least for me, and it depends if watching on Satellite or something else, as the delay will be different.
Possible the tv will be delayed for 7 seconds for swearing.
radio here is 30/45 seconds behind the TV

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I think it will be funny when the Rogers deal ends and one of two things happens:

* Rogers re-ups and keeps Hughson in the number one role.
* Bell signs an exclusive deal and hires Hughson for the number one role.

Other things could happen too but both those would be funny.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
When leafs score game winning goal... oh the leafs win...
When a goal is scored against the leafs he acts like hes about to have a heart attack. Hes a disgrace and an embarassment to the sport
When the Maple Leafs were playing the Canucks this past season in Toronto, in the 3rd period with Toronto winning 3-2 I remember Hughson complained how the Canucks should have had a power play because he said how the refs missed an obvious penalty. I can not remember him ever talking like that during any other games he's broadcasted.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Indeed, who could forget such memorable calls as “the defender lost his stick.” :rolleyes:

—————————

No but really what’s the point of paying whatever high price Sportsnet did for Cuthbert if he isn’t going to be their #1 guy? Not to mention that this decision goes so out of the way for both men as Hughson lives out in B.C. while Cuthbert I’m pretty sure calls the GTA home.
Let's compare Hughson's call to how Joe Bowen sounded when Kapanen scored that goal.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I think it will be funny when the Rogers deal ends and one of two things happens:

What about the chances of Hughson remaining with Rogers and becoming the Canucks regional play by play announcer? Assuming Sportsnet Pacific will still have the rights to the Canucks regional games.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
When the Maple Leafs were playing the Canucks this past season in Toronto, in the 3rd period with Toronto winning 3-2 I remember Hughson complained how the Canucks should have had a power play because he said how the refs missed an obvious penalty. I can not remember him ever talking like that during any other games he's broadcasted.

I think that was the same game against the nucks whem the leafs scored he said. "And they score". Nothing else. Pure and utter bias

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
After Martin Marincin scored to make it 3-2 which was the game winning goal he said "a unlikely candidate makes it 3-2 Toronto" since it ended up being the game winning goal.

Ahh its another leafs/nucks game then. GF remembers it too. It was a late 3rd period game winner and he just sounded hateful and defeated. Like he was promised a nucks win before doing the play by play and was why didnt the fix work? Lol

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Ahh its another leafs/nucks game then. GF remembers it too. It was a late 3rd period game winner and he just sounded hateful and defeated. Like he was promised a nucks win before doing the play by play and was why didnt the fix work? Lol
Have you ever read Twitter after a Leafs game when Hughson was broadcasting it? He always starts trending in Canada in a negative way because he gets bashed for his anti Leafs sentiment. If the Leafs end up winning those games it's even better when people bash him.

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
I actually think Hughson is not that bad. His love for the Canucks shows up from time to time. I still find him generally fair and restrained; fitting for a national broadcaster. No issue with him.

Bowen is the complete opposite. Love for the Leaf is there and since he is local its appropriate. So much drama in his voice as if every pass is so crucial and explodes when something great happens. Love listening to him in that I feel like I am nervous at all time and want to pace around jn my living room and/or hold onto something for dear life.

Reactions: Cams

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I actually think Hughson is not that bad. His love for the Canucks shows up from time to time. I still find him generally fair and restrained; fitting for a national broadcaster. No issue with him.
The problem with him is he will never stop talking about players on the other team playing against Toronto if they are great at doing something. For example during the 2016-17 season when Toronto played Boston they blew a 4-1 and 5-4 leads in the 3rd period before winning 6-5 in regulation. Anyway I remember Hughson would not shut up at how great Patrice Bergeron was at winning faceoffs. Prior to everyone he took he mentioned that and how Boston desperately needed to win it when they were losing. I understand that's a part of his game where he's very good at. However I don't think Hughson needed to mention every possible chance he could.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
People are surprised by this? Why would anyone expect Hughson wouldn’t be calling these games?
It's not exactly shocking. Hughson has been the top dog since Cole slowly drifted into retirement. Hughson drives me nuts, but hes the #1 guy for SN/CBC.

Reactions: ACC1224

Auston Escobar

Plata o Plomo
Aug 14, 2019
Indeed, who could forget such memorable calls as “the defender lost his stick.” :rolleyes:

—————————

No but really what’s the point of paying whatever high price Sportsnet did for Cuthbert if he isn’t going to be their #1 guy? Not to mention that this decision goes so out of the way for both men as Hughson lives out in B.C. while Cuthbert I’m pretty sure calls the GTA home.

That is absolutely brutal, couldn’t fail to capture the excitement of a playoff OT goal worse than that. I was at a bar for that one, so I’ve never heard it before...Hughson is the worst.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
The problem with him is he will never stop talking about players on the other team playing against Toronto if they are great at doing something. For example during the 2016-17 season when Toronto played Boston they blew a 4-1 and 5-4 leads in the 3rd period before winning 6-5 in regulation. Anyway I remember Hughson would not shut up at how great Patrice Bergeron was at winning faceoffs. Prior to everyone he took he mentioned that and how Boston desperately needed to win it when they were losing. I understand that's a part of his game where he's very good at. However I don't think Hughson needed to mention every possible chance he could.

Is there really anything wrong with that coming from a nationally broadcast game? He wasn't making that stuff up - Bergeron owned the faceoff circle, and yes.....Boston needed to win to move on, it was game 7. I'll say it again, when it comes to a nationally televised game on a major network, your play by play should be impartial.

This Hughson/anti-Leaf thing is getting out of hand. It really isn't as bad as many on here want it to be.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
What about the chances of Hughson remaining with Rogers and becoming the Canucks regional play by play announcer? Assuming Sportsnet Pacific will still have the rights to the Canucks regional games.

As I said, other things could happy. But I find those 2 funny because they leave the Leafs with Hughson on their national games.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Is there really anything wrong with that coming from a nationally broadcast game? He wasn't making that stuff up - Bergeron owned the faceoff circle, and yes.....Boston needed to win to move on, it was game 7. I'll say it again, when it comes to a nationally televised game on a major network, your play by play should be impartial.

This Hughson/anti-Leaf thing is getting out of hand. It really isn't as bad as many on here want it to be.
In that specific game it was in the regular season and it wasn't a Game 7.

I also said we know how good Bergeron was a winning faceoffs, I just don't think it needed to be said every time he was taking one.

I can't remember Hughson ever saying the Leafs players positives that needed to happen when they were losing.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
That is absolutely brutal, couldn’t fail to capture the excitement of a playoff OT goal worse than that. I was at a bar for that one, so I’ve never heard it before...Hughson is the worst.
It was the first Leafs playoffs win in overtime since 2003 and what a shame that the first words out of Hughson's mouth was that John Carlson lost his stick right before the goal.

If you skip ahead to 5:05 you will hear how Bob Cole sounded when Travis Green scored in double overtime of Game 6 vs the Flyers in 2003, which was their last time winning a playoff game in overtime before Kapanen's double overtime goal against Washington.

Last edited:

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Have you ever read Twitter after a Leafs game when Hughson was broadcasting it? He always starts trending in Canada in a negative way because he gets bashed for his anti Leafs sentiment. If the Leafs end up winning those games it's even better when people bash him.
Can honestly say that i have not been on twitter in years. Its a true cesspool of social media imho. But i can say that im not surprised in the least. Shit all over the biggest fanbase in canada and possibly the league seems like the ultimate way to bite that hand that feeds him. Only fitting that he is getting Hughsoned himself.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC

Bowen is the complete opposite. Love for the Leaf is there and since he is local its appropriate. So much drama in his voice as if every pass is so crucial and explodes when something great happens. Love listening to him in that I feel like I am nervous at all time and want to pace around jn my living room and/or hold onto something for dear life.

Thats because he has that natural talent of truly portraying the tension and passion that on display.

Truly gobsmacked that you think hes a fair and unbiased play by play. H3s not even a color commentator because he is simply black and white. Nucks vs Leafs even if the nucks are not playing the leafs he still finds ways to talk about them instead of the game at hand.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!

glad you think its funny....

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

Here is the thing, why can’t National broadcasters show emotion and joy when the teams scored.
I would have no problem if Bowen Or anyone doing the play by play and whenever the teams score-Leafs or whichever team they are playing against- go all out and say, so and so scorrrrrrreeeddd, what a goal by so and so and what a setup by so and so......

That’s excitement that all fans would appreciate.
HNIC sucks bc there is no excitement whatsoever ever from the announcers and since Hockey is not like NFL, where each play can be broken down. If the play by play shows no emotion, it sucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->