Sportsnet: Why, just why did they do this?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Indeed, who could forget such memorable calls as “the defender lost his stick.” :rolleyes:

—————————

No but really what’s the point of paying whatever high price Sportsnet did for Cuthbert if he isn’t going to be their #1 guy? Not to mention that this decision goes so out of the way for both men as Hughson lives out in B.C. while Cuthbert I’m pretty sure calls the GTA home.

Watching that clip, you would think Kapanen scored a goal in a 5-1 game in the second period in the middle of October.

Not a playoff double overtime goal.

So bad

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
My feelings exactly. Will we avoid tons of positive tests derailing this thing before it starts? Once we begin, will we be able to continue until the cup is awarded? These are real concerns for me, at least 1000 times more important then who will be calling the games.

I just want to see our Leafs play up to their potential and if the commentators are terrible, I'll happily turn the sound off and play some rock'n roll instead. GLG!!
each day that passes I'm more convinced this thing won't get started, and most certainly won't end with a Cup being raised. I'm going out on a limb and blaming bars being opened, and the belief by some of the younger crowd that they're immune to catching this thing.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Indeed, who could forget such memorable calls as “the defender lost his stick.” :rolleyes:

—————————

No but really what’s the point of paying whatever high price Sportsnet did for Cuthbert if he isn’t going to be their #1 guy? Not to mention that this decision goes so out of the way for both men as Hughson lives out in B.C. while Cuthbert I’m pretty sure calls the GTA home.

I felt like he dropped his pen and reached down to pick it up as that was happening.

Edit. Brian Boyle was a beaut.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

—————————

It appears to me that Cuthbert arguably is their #1; at least for now, if not also going forward. He'll be calling the Stanley Cup Final in Edmonton. If those games were to have instead taken place in Toronto, I'd like to think they'd still have been Cuthbert's call.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I remember a game recently, the Leafs had something like 20+ shots on goal in the 1st period, with time to go, dominating play and Hughsons comment is, "The Leafs look like they are skating in sand, having a hard time getting going tonight..." Simpsons turn to comment " ...... (dead air....)...." Simpson was so dumbfounded by that statement he was speechless.... on pace for 60+ freaking shots on net and they are having a hard time getting going...?
It wrecks the game. I actually want a better announcer than hughson period. He is boring and dull. I might not even watch this crap.

Reactions: Faltorvo

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

—————————

They were both so disappointed that they had nothing to say for 30 seconds. Pieces of s***. ;)

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Ferraro isn't doing the Play-Ins or Playoffs.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
each day that passes I'm more convinced this thing won't get started, and most certainly won't end with a Cup being raised. I'm going out on a limb and blaming bars being opened, and the belief by some of the younger crowd that they're immune to catching this thing.

I'm the opposite, with each day I'm getting more optimistic that this will happen. I've heard some people say that the bubble is well thought out and if they get that far without major issues then there's a good chance of finishing this thing. I sure hope they're right because I'm not optimistic at all about next season and if I'm right, these playoffs will be the last hockey we'll see for a very long time.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
When Hughson calls a game, one thing you can be sure of is both camps (Leaf fans and haters) will claim he's biased for/against the Leafs.

Honestly doesn't bother me even a little bit when Hughson calls the games. It's just noise to me.

Reactions: The Iceman

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
When Hughson calls a game, one thing you can be sure of is both camps (Leaf fans and haters) will claim he's biased for/against the Leafs.

Honestly doesn't bother me even a little bit when Hughson calls the games. It's just noise to me.
Yeah me as well.
The times I do listen to Hughson, he just strikes me as that guy that gets all pissy because his Chardonnay isn't cold enough.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I'm the opposite, with each day I'm getting more optimistic that this will happen. I've heard some people say that the bubble is well thought out and if they get that far without major issues then there's a good chance of finishing this thing. I sure hope they're right because I'm not optimistic at all about next season and if I'm right, these playoffs will be the last hockey we'll see for a very long time.
I hope your right.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I see nothing wrong with the play by play, sure he didn't go postal ala Bowen when the Leaf eliminated the Wings years ago. Does Leaf Nation really need to be coddled by game announcers to feel validated that they're good, is Leaf Nation that insecure?

no not at all, certainly not looking for idiots like a Jack Edwards or Rick Jeanneret

The problem is Hughson's lack of professionalism and his seeming disdain for the Leafs

If a team makes a nice play, then say so and have the color guy illuminate it, not gee whizz if the green team guy doesn't fall down and screen the goaltender then the blue team would've never scored

this was an actual call......the situation Winnick is digging hard at the half wall (to Eddie Lacks left) with a Canucks Dman and wins the puck, he's a little off balance and near the end of the shift out of gas and lifts a lazy wrist shot at the Nux net, planting the puck right on the crest, (Winnick if you remember is no goal scoring dynamo) and this is the call: "Sbisa loses the puck Winnick shoots, 'great save!' Eddie Lack!"

Sbisa never lost the puck he lost the battle, Winnick was obviously shooting for a freeze, play stoppage and a line change, Lack doesn't have to move but only needs to absorb the puck, I could've made that save wearing regular gear and I'm 66.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I cancelled everything i could take away from Rogers. I don’t buy anything nhl while they hve rights to it. Hopefully CBC and TSN can go against them after the deal expires in 25/26.
Rogers is the problem here. Half way through this 12 year deal and I’m not giving them a dime ha.
CBC is the best and TSN is second best at games. I would support them if they take the rights away next time

Reactions: rumman

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I cancelled everything i could take away from Rogers. I don’t buy anything nhl while they hve rights to it. Hopefully CBC and TSN can go against them after the deal expires in 25/26.
Rogers is the problem here. Half way through this 12 year deal and I’m not giving them a dime ha.
CBC is the best and TSN is second best at games. I would support them if they take the rights away next time
I hope I'm still around in 25/26.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad