Why is Marleau getting so much ice time let alone any?!

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
My theory on why Marleau gets playing time is because he's seen as an inert, nothing will necessarily go wrong while he's on the ice kind of player. Kind of up and down on his own wing, shuffles the puck along, adequate engagement along the boards, chips it into areas, sometimes gets a shot off.

Not that bad when you're nursing a lead and rolling lines but completely counter productive when you're chasing.

No speed, no explosiveness, no vision, nothing with the puck, muffin shot, no touch in close. Disengaged.
Exactly. People are forgetting the 1st and 2nd line should be scoring goals and 3rd and 4th are shut down energy lines. Marleau and brown don’t bring energy but they can shut down.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Exactly. People are forgetting the 1st and 2nd line should be scoring goals and 3rd and 4th are shut down energy lines. Marleau and brown don’t bring energy but they can shut down.

That fine then...

But move Nylander up to wing with Marner,JT, or Matthews.
And subsititute someone else to shutdown like Kap who can play D and has speed.

Its inexcusable there was no adjustments in a 1 goal game.

All of our Babcockian fears are coming into fruition right before our 2019 season.

Did I mention our...if you can even call it that... Our PP is an absolute disaster.
Ottawa sens has a better PP and theyre in the AHL. Reminder of how we looked vs them again.

Game 7 will be wild and watch Marleau be promoted to a top line when someone gets hurt.

Not moore. Not ennis. Not Nylander.

Marleau

Reactions: TMLS

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
It's only 1 year left. It will go by fast.

Next year will be a down year unless Dubas can pull some miracles.

Needs
Sign Marner
Wingers for Matthews
Assistant coaches
At least 2 defence
Tough bottom 6 forward or two....ideally a top guy that can play with Matthews but that cost way too much.
Backup goalie

Who could be gone
Marleau
Brown
Gardiner
Nylander
Zaitsev
Hainsey
Kapenan
Sparks
Kadri?

I think the coaches will be gone by Friday and that will signal changes are coming and turn the heat down a little.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Hyman - - - Tavares - - - Marner
Johnsson - Matthews - Kapanen
Marleau - - Nylander - - Moore
Ennis - - - Gauthier - - - Brown

Reactions: Crysis

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
This is the one time when the media may actually help.

Marleau looks done. He got his money. He did his job. we didn’t scratch him. Let him play in the playoffs.... he can’t do it anymore.

That’s ok. Great career. The media will be all over him. Do the right thing. Let us drop your cap July 2.

Dubas has to tell him he’s done abs will be waived if he plays hardball. Because babs won’t bench him

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
It is all or nothing now. I want to see if Babs dies on the Marleau/Brown hill tomorrow night. Ideally Marleau, Goat and Brown on the 4th playing 5 minutes. Better yet, sit the Goat and play Rosen. Too bad it is not going to happen.

Reactions: 93WrapAround

Albi34

Feb 14, 2010
I love the guy but man...he is just not worth even half his contract at this point. In hind sight yeah a contract this pricey was a big mistake. Hopefully Dubas can work some magic and correct it.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Next year will be a down year unless Dubas can pull some miracles.

Needs
Sign Marner
Wingers for Matthews
Assistant coaches
At least 2 defence
Tough bottom 6 forward or two....ideally a top guy that can play with Matthews but that cost way too much.
Backup goalie

Who could be gone
Marleau
Brown
Gardiner
Nylander
Zaitsev
Hainsey
Kapenan
Sparks
Kadri?

I think the coaches will be gone by Friday and that will signal changes are coming and turn the heat down a little.

Kappy stays for me.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I love the guy but man...he is just not worth even half his contract at this point. In hind sight yeah a contract this pricey was a big mistake. Hopefully Dubas can work some magic and correct it.

There is no magic. Marleau has to face reality and retire after collecting his bonus July 1st. Dubas can them move his cap hit to a team that has plenty of cap space and covets a pick and/or prospect (see Columbus, Ottawa, Zona).

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Kappy stays for me.

I think so too, but it depends on whether they can shed some other salaries. They need to be wise. Look at the players that left after last season- Leo, Martin, Bozak are contributing and heading to round two and Polak looks like he’ll join them.
The Leafs will be sending guys to the WHC

Reactions: ToneDog

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
It's only 1 year left. It will go by fast.

thats not a good way to look at it.

tavares signed a 7 year contract. i expect tavares' last 2 years to be marleau bad at 11 AAV and his 5th year to be just okay

that means leafs have a 5 year window to really get something done (matthews is a ufa) after tavares' 6th year ends.

so is it okay to waste tavares' first two years because of marleau? is it okay that this coach doesn't see that marleau is done?

that is a waste of opportunities; especially this year since tampa and pens both are out and the path to the cup is wide open in the east.

Babcock is a joke and so is marleau

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I hate to say it but Marleau is now completely washed up. He is now at point where he is hurting the team. HOFer or not every time Babs puts him on ice we are playing shorthanded by design. And Babs may be the last guy who is seeing it. Kinda of like the emperors new clothes. Oh well maybe Babs has to go down. Because it is his decision why we are playing shorthanded. Everyone one at Scotia was saying it yesterday. It was actually embarrassing on the bench as a couple people were screaming/begging Babs to sit him down and play Moore. We can complain about PK and PP and rightly so but no one can dispute what Babs is doing with Marleau. I think Marleau was even feeling it on the bench. I could be wrong but looking at him closely I think he knew the fans knew.

Gards is playing hurt. He could never pivot backwards to his left very well but it is even more noticeable now with the injury. He is borderline on whether he should be in the lineup. He is giving up the puck too much in his own end. I don't like dressing rookie's in general in playoffs but I think it is over anyways for Gards with Toronto either way.

Now for the big finale - Willy even though I love his skill he has proven again this playoffs he just does not have what it takes in terms of his will to fight and win. He has 1 more game left to keep his spot in Toronto. I would keep him but the powers that be are near the end with him. I am almost 100% sure that if he can't fight through and help team get past round 1 this year he will be moved for a defender in the summer.

Reactions: TMLS and ToneDog

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
thats not a good way to look at it.

tavares signed a 7 year contract. i expect tavares' last 2 years to be marleau bad at 11 AAV and his 5th year to be just okay

that means leafs have a 5 year window to really get something done (matthews is a ufa) after tavares' 6th year ends.

so is it okay to waste tavares' first two years because of marleau? is it okay that this coach doesn't see that marleau is done?

that is a waste of opportunities; especially this year since tampa and pens both are out and the path to the cup is wide open in the east.

Babcock is a joke and so is marleau

Sorry you expect Tavares to be bad at 33-34? Huh?

Reactions: Leafidelity

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I hate to say it but Marleau is now completely washed up. He is now at point where he is hurting the team. HOFer or not every time Babs puts him on ice we are playing shorthanded by design. And Babs may be the last guy who is seeing it. Kinda of like the emperors new clothes. Oh well maybe Babs has to go down. Because it is his decision why we are playing shorthanded. Everyone one at Scotia was saying it yesterday. It was actually embarrassing on the bench as a couple people were screaming/begging Babs to sit him down and play Moore. We can complain about PK and PP and rightly so but no one can dispute what Babs is doing with Marleau. I think Marleau was even feeling it on the bench. I could be wrong but looking at him closely I think he knew the fans knew.

Gards is playing hurt. He could never pivot backwards to his left very well but it is even more noticeable now with the injury. He is borderline on whether he should be in the lineup. He is giving up the puck too much in his own end. I don't like dressing rookie's in general in playoffs but I think it is over anyways for Gards with Toronto either way.

Now for the big finale - Willy even though I love his skill he has proven again this playoffs he just does not have what it takes in terms of his will to fight and win. He has 1 more game left to keep his spot in Toronto. I would keep him but the powers that be are near the end with him. I am almost 100% sure that if he can't fight through and help team get past round 1 this year he will be moved for a defender in the summer.

I find your posts confusing.... who was on the bench yelling at babcock to sit marleau?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I find your posts confusing.... who was on the bench yelling at babcock to sit marleau?
One guy was particularly loud in the Gilmour jersey and blue jeans maybe 10 rows up behind bench. But there was another guy I could not see him well in reds too. If you were at game then you could not miss it.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Yeah, that contract is looking bad right now. One more year.
It will be difficult but Dubas must find a way to extricate themselves from this cap hit. Retirement plus a trade.of cap to a team like Ottawa looking for a cap minimum or a similar deal worked out with Orpik

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Babcock spent a lot of time hyping him up, talking about how the fountain of youth will kick in and Marleau will shine. Rather than admit he was wrong and bench him, Babcock will give him a ton of opportunity to hopefully prove him right

Reactions: Mats13

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad