Why is Marleau getting so much ice time let alone any?!

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Marleau has been straight garbage. Because of him we lost Kadri, lose offensive zone time, my god. If the leafs do advance please scratch him. (Kadri suspension over)
Because of him we lost Kadri?
This has my vote for dumbest take today

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
I hate to say it but Marleau is now completely washed up. He is now at point where he is hurting the team. HOFer or not every time Babs puts him on ice we are playing shorthanded by design. And Babs may be the last guy who is seeing it. Kinda of like the emperors new clothes. Oh well maybe Babs has to go down. Because it is his decision why we are playing shorthanded. Everyone one at Scotia was saying it yesterday. It was actually embarrassing on the bench as a couple people were screaming/begging Babs to sit him down and play Moore. We can complain about PK and PP and rightly so but no one can dispute what Babs is doing with Marleau. I think Marleau was even feeling it on the bench. I could be wrong but looking at him closely I think he knew the fans knew.

Gards is playing hurt. He could never pivot backwards to his left very well but it is even more noticeable now with the injury. He is borderline on whether he should be in the lineup. He is giving up the puck too much in his own end. I don't like dressing rookie's in general in playoffs but I think it is over anyways for Gards with Toronto either way.

Now for the big finale - Willy even though I love his skill he has proven again this playoffs he just does not have what it takes in terms of his will to fight and win. He has 1 more game left to keep his spot in Toronto. I would keep him but the powers that be are near the end with him. I am almost 100% sure that if he can't fight through and help team get past round 1 this year he will be moved for a defender in the summer.

I'm not sure you're directing this at the right person. Nylander plays on the third line with subpar linemates at best while playing on the terrible 2pp unit. However given all that working against him he still has 1 point less than JT(who plays with Mitch the Magician Marner) as well as on the top PP. He also has a +/- (which isn't the best stat) that is 7 points worst than Nylanders (-4 vs 3). Maybe the first line center making 11M should be the guy leading the charge to get us past the first round, not the third line center?

I know JT is matched up against the Bergeron line but they've been getting destroyed as of late. Nylander's line at the end of the day is either matching our outplaying the opposition's third line. Tavares line is getting beaten down by most metrics by the Bergeron line. We need that line to be much better.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Marleau has been by far his most useful this series when given very sheltered icetime (less is more) where he performed just fine.

Madness can be the only potential explanation why he got even a seconds worth of icetime during that final 5/6 minutes. Inexcusable.....

Reactions: CabanaBoy5 and Kiwi

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I'm not sure you're directing this at the right person. Nylander plays on the third line with subpar linemates at best while playing on the terrible 2pp unit. However given all that working against him he still has 1 point less than JT(who plays with Mitch the Magician Marner) as well as on the top PP. He also has a +/- (which isn't the best stat) that is 7 points worst than Nylanders (-4 vs 3). Maybe the first line center making 11M should be the guy leading the charge to get us past the first round, not the third line center?

I know JT is matched up against the Bergeron line but they've been getting destroyed as of late. Nylander's line at the end of the day is either matching our outplaying the opposition's third line. Tavares line is getting beaten down by most metrics by the Bergeron line. We need that line to be much better.
I agree with that. My point was Willy on the 3rd line should be able to do so much more to help team on offense. Tavares is slow to begin with so it is everything he has got to contain Bergeron who is a top 3 centre on Team Canada. Remember Tavares shifts to wing on these teams because he is not as good. You have to expect Bergeron will beat Tavares. It is only a question of how big the difference is. And Marner on Marchand again Marchand is a top line winger on Team Canada. Marner probably not on team so again expect Bruins to win there too. And Hyman on Pasta while lets not go there. When you add it up our guys are doing amazing holding them down to where we are at.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I agree with that. My point was Willy on the 3rd line should be able to do so much more to help team on offense. Tavares is slow to begin with so it is everything he has got to contain Bergeron who is a top 3 centre on Team Canada. Remember Tavares shifts to wing on these teams because he is not as good. You have to expect Bergeron will beat Tavares. It is only a question of how big the difference is. And Marner on Marchand again Marchand is a top line winger on Team Canada. Marner probably not on team so again expect Bruins to win there too. And Hyman on Pasta while lets not go there. When you add it up our guys are doing amazing holding them down to where we are at.
Don't disagree really, but if you want the third line to make a difference you have to give it the horses to make it happen. As the line is configured right now, you can only really expect defensive responsibility from it.

I'd rather look at a way to maximize the Matthews line. I think it's been good but disjointed. Three players doing good but mostly on their own. Someone like Kapanen could probably bring just as much on a third line with Marleau as a center. On the other hand, the Matthews line goes against Chara quite a bit and I think Kapanen has exploited him better than any other forward.

Either way, we need to find exactly what you are talking about here. A key to unlock an advantage we can capitalize on.

Reactions: Kiwi and Menzinger

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
One guy was particularly loud in the Gilmour jersey and blue jeans maybe 10 rows up behind bench. But there was another guy I could not see him well in reds too. If you were at game then you could not miss it.

Oh sorry I thought you were saying a player....

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Pretty sure he meant Kadri retaliated after Marleau got hit into the turn buckle. That was the reason Kadri went after him and cross checked him in the face.
Oh I know what he meant......was still nonsense.

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
what fictitious LW is everyone flabbergasted doesn't get more ice-time? LW is a huge weakness on this team and the better ones are already ahead of marleau (who played great in last year's playoffs btw)

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
Babcock has Tyler Ennis on the pp. In the playoffs. He had an ahl callup on the pp last years playoffs. And again this year. There are rookies and ahl'ers in crucial roles all over the lineup and it's been like that for years. This "should" tip Leafs fans off that Babcock runs a meritocracy. Like more that probably any coach in hockey. Unfortunately he looks like a walking stereotype so fans are attacking that stereotype regardless he's about as close to the opposite as it gets.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
My hope is. We let him have his streak. We let him play full time on a cup run.

We gave him his money. He has to understand he is done. Just go out with dignity.

He has to know that his ticket will eat up the money of the rest of the kids. His time is up.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
I’ll be shocked if he’s back next season.

It won’t be easy but Dubas/Shanny will find a way.

sessiroth

Jan 21, 2010
Toronto Ont.
Because of him we lost Kadri?
This has my vote for dumbest take today
I guess your used to getting knocked down having a friend jump in to help you and you walking away. I can smell the p***y on your breath

If he had the balls to stand up for himself Kadri wouldn't have to jump in. Real men know that

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
If you look at the last to seasons, Mitch Marner and Andreas Johnsson are the only two forwards who have a higher points/60 then Marleau in the playoffs.
Could be Babcock was hoping this was the match-up the Bruins would have no answer to?

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I guess your used to getting knocked down having a friend jump in to help you and you walking away. I can smell the ***** on your breath

If he had the balls to stand up for himself Kadri wouldn't have to jump in. Real men know that

Been a long time since I've been knocked down son.

But just so you know, real men don't use their stick to cross check someone in the face, they drop the gloves and go one on one.

However I do admire your sense of smell, perhaps you have a nose like Marchand? Seems like you you admire cheap shots, so maybe there are many similarities.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Marleau is 8th in TOI/G among forwards and he would be 9th if Kadri hadn't removed himself from game 2.
I think he's done, but this is a bit of a reach.

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
Babcock has Tyler Ennis on the pp. In the playoffs. He had an ahl callup on the pp last years playoffs. And again this year. There are rookies and ahl'ers in crucial roles all over the lineup and it's been like that for years. This "should" tip Leafs fans off that Babcock runs a meritocracy. Like more that probably any coach in hockey. Unfortunately he looks like a walking stereotype so fans are attacking that stereotype regardless he's about as close to the opposite as it gets.
This is the best bad-post. [Unless you’re a Bruins fan coming here to troll. Member since 2008 but I don’t see you around here at all really.]

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->