Why is Marleau getting so much ice time let alone any?!

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
He’s had a great career but the wheels are falling off. Still does a lot of little things right, but he is not a threat in any way. Best case scenario is he retires. He has a no trade clause and didn’t sign here to waive it.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

LoveRealHockey

Sep 13, 2010
Hes had a great career, good mentor for the young players but no longer an effective player. It's sad to watch but not from a lack of effort. Unfortunately Babcock doesn't see it, doesn't make any adjustments and just keeps doing the same old, hoping for a different result. That's even sadder

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
I’m starting to see why he has his iron man streak. Avoiding playing the body at all costs. Guys like Backes have adapted to playing different styles after losing a step, using the body more, grinding in corners, throwing hits. Marleau is a step behind every play and makes up for it with nothing.

NyIander

Feb 18, 2019
Marleau is literally just another body on the ice at this point. If he has any conscience he will retire at the end of the year. Unless he has another gear that he hasn't shown in a while, it's time to pack his bags.

Reactions: TMLS

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
The Nylander thing confused me as well. It looked like he thought the whistle went?

Marleau hasn't been great. Conor Brown though, he does nothing out there. Absolutely nothing. He forechecks hard and then never gets the pick. His only play is to dump and chase and his chasing never results in the puck. He never makes a play or anything close to a goal. He's nervous with the puck. The chances he's gifted he can't bury.

He's absolutely useless. I can't understand how Moore and Ennis haven't been moved up in the lineup. Babcock really annoys me, and I've said this all even when we were winning. If he doesn't get Connor Brown off the f***ing ice we're not going far.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Just imagine next year. Dude is gonna be in a wheel chair getting important minutes when we are about to get bounced by the bruins in the first round again

Lol we wont make the playoffs with Marleau with top minutes

Tampa is Tampa
Boston is Boston
Montreal has some speed and grit
Florida always gives us fits

Other teams add speed talent and grit
We add Brown and Marleau
And will send down Moore

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Ironically at the end of a shift...what of the shift where he crunched the bruin in the offensive zone and took the puck?
oh thats your argument. Yeah he did something earlier in the shift so he did his job that shift noo need in playing the whole time your on the ice right. Anderson made enough saves so he didnt need to try in the 3rd right bud? God you are something else

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
Because after Matthews rest are useless. Kapanen, Johnsson etc.. Bergeron ate Tavares alive again and Marner is just a passenger. And don't even start to talk about William Nylander.

This is a cop out. Kapenen was flying around tonight and one of our best forwards (remember the play he completely cut around the defenceman to the net to create a scoring chance out of thin air? - or beating out yet another icing?). Johnsson wasn't going tonight but he's had several good games. Ditto Marner. Ditto 4th line. Even Connor Brown had an excellent Game 1. Marleau is the only forward that has literally done NOTHING all series. Like not even a couple of nice plays. But he's sure turned the puck over a million times or racks up record low possession numbers (I'd have to imagine). He's become a huge liability out there.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Marleau had a great keep-in to create the first goal. He deserves credit for that. However, he's an alibi player at this point. He's not good defensively, he's not good in transition, he's not good creating offense, and only decent at scoring them. He's the worst player even on that awful PP unit, and he doesn't PK. He's down there with Gauthier as our least valuable player. At least Goat is part of a unit that work well together.

It's hard seeing a legend go down. It could have been a graceful decline if Babcock didn't think he's our fourth best forward.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Marleau is literally just another body on the ice at this point. If he has any conscience he will retire at the end of the year. Unless he has another gear that he hasn't shown in a while, it's time to pack his bags.

He better not retire because his cap hit remains. he better accept a trade then LTIR for that team.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Marleau had a great keep-in to create the first goal. He deserves credit for that. However, he's an alibi player at this point. He's not good defensively, he's not good in transition, he's not good creating offense, and only decent at scoring them. He's the worst player even on that awful PP unit, and he doesn't PK. He's down there with Gauthier as our least valuable player. At least Goat is part of a unit that work well together.

It's hard seeing a legend go down. It could have been a graceful decline if Babcock didn't think he's our fourth best forward.

Freddy the Goat is such a waste of a big body. If that guy had even a bit of aggression to his game you could stick him out there to cause damage but he seems intent on winning the Lady Byng this year while not providing anything else.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I don't know why but this team doesn't seem as good as last year. If we lose GM 7 changes are needed, we have too many passengers and it shows.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I’m starting to see why he has his iron man streak. Avoiding playing the body at all costs. Guys like Backes have adapted to playing different styles after losing a step, using the body more, grinding in corners, throwing hits. Marleau is a step behind every play and makes up for it with nothing.
Yeah I see that too. He's very soft/avoids contact despite having good size. Kessel does the same thing really that's why he's got a streak too.

Last edited:

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
He looked like he normally naps at this time of day and his kids had him up at 6am looking for Easter eggs. There was no energy whatsoever. This is probably his last chance to do anything in the postseason and he’s playing with zero hustle.

Cynical

Aug 23, 2014
As bad as he has been anyone would look bad with brown and nylander on your line

Marleau has looked like the worst player in these playoffs, let alone the Maple Leafs. He's easily the worst player on that line.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
oh thats your argument. Yeah he did something earlier in the shift so he did his job that shift noo need in playing the whole time your on the ice right. Anderson made enough saves so he didnt need to try in the 3rd right bud? God you are something else

Better play is to completely miss your assignment on the faceoff leading to a goal and then refusing to contribute offensively I guess

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad