Why is Marleau getting so much ice time let alone any?!

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
No I believe the cap recapture is only for those backdiving contracts I don’t think his would apply even though his is bonus heavy. And I don’t think there’s any rule on 35+ for the team he signed with, once he’s traded it would be the coyotes cap hit if he retires. I could be wrong.

You could also be right, far from me to question you here if you are sure. If so then trade away, if not then he better get allergic to equipment ASAP

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
If we traded Marleau to ARI on July 1 after we paid his bonus and then Marleau retired, could we then hire him as an Asst Coach?

Marleau really shouldn’t play next season, but I think he’d make a good coach.

Reactions: Joel Ward

KobeBean143

VINO #24 #8 #2 MVP
Mar 13, 2015
You could also be right, far from me to question you here if you are sure. If so then trade away, if not then he better get allergic to equipment ASAP
Cap friendly says we are on the hook regardless of where he plays whether active or not but the references the ahl or retiring, but nothing on if he’s traded then retires so I’m really not sure now?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
We sit patty down and say

Leafs: “patty where would you like to live when you retire?”
Patty: “<insert place>“
Leafs: “oh that’s crazy we just bought a 5 bed house in <insert place> as an investment, how about you become our <insert place> scout for the future starting in the 2019/20 season and live in the house we just bought?”

TMLS

Oct 30, 2013
London, Ontario
one word: EGOCOCK.

This clown coach needs to go before anyone on the team. Not the plugs Marleaus fault the coach is in love with him.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Lol we wont make the playoffs with Marleau with top minutes

Tampa is Tampa
Boston is Boston
Montreal has some speed and grit
Florida always gives us fits

Other teams add speed talent and grit
We add Brown and Marleau
And will send down Moore

• Tampa is Tampa
  • Boston is Boston (i expect them to get even better in the offseason)
  • Montreal (i expect them to get better in the offseason)
  • Florida (i expect them to get A LOT better in the offseason. they hired Q as coach and rumours are that bob and panarin are heading to florida)
  • Sabres may surprise next season
  • Ottawa will continue to suck

Leafs already have cap hell coming and with the way this moron of a coach keeps playing plugs next season is not going to be pretty

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Thinking we're losing this series because we don't switch Marleau and Moore just seems absurd. How about we get something out of our top line?

I literally read people bashing Babs for not promoting Moore to the 3rd line and then a couple of posts later bashing him for putting on the 4th line after a goal. The guy can't win.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
I feel bad for trashing the guy. Im sure he's a great guy. Would love if he stuck with the team in some capacity, but he's a borderline NHL'er at this point. If Kadri were still playing, I'd still prefer Moore and Ennis over Marleau.

I hope he does us a solid, but I would understand if he wanted to come back again. It would just suck a lot.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Marleau has looked like the worst player in these playoffs, let alone the Maple Leafs. He's easily the worst player on that line.

if there was a list of worst top 9 forwards for the regular season and playoffs marleau would be top 3 on that list if his AAV and production are taken into account

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Thinking we're losing this series because we don't switch Marleau and Moore just seems absurd. How about we get something out of our top line?

I literally read people bashing Babs for not promoting Moore to the 3rd line and then a couple of posts later bashing him for putting on the 4th line after a goal. The guy can't win.
Maybe we get some more offense if Marleau played closer to 7 minutes instead of 17 LOL

But at the end of the day, the biggest issue is our special teams. But marleau should be getting nowhere near 17 minutes.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Maybe we get some more offense if Marleau played closer to 7 minutes instead of 17 LOL

But at the end of the day, the biggest issue is our special teams. But marleau should be getting nowhere near 17 minutes.
I could definitely see giving the Matthews line more minutes. Easily the best line going right now and Matthews doesn't seem to be suffering from the conditioning woes I see earlier in the year. It will bite us if we go deep in the playoffs though.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009

Context.

Promoting Moore to third line and sticking to your top lines in a 3-2 game are independent.

Your post makes sense if people wanted Moore on the third line AND have his line out after Matthews scores.

KobeBean143

VINO #24 #8 #2 MVP
Mar 13, 2015
I feel bad for trashing the guy. Im sure he's a great guy. Would love if he stuck with the team in some capacity, but he's a borderline NHL'er at this point. If Kadri were still playing, I'd still prefer Moore and Ennis over Marleau.

I hope he does us a solid, but I would understand if he wanted to come back again. It would just suck a lot.
It’s not trashing him though, he’s just done. Patty is one of my childhood and all time favourites. But it appears he’s the type that needs to be forced out of the game.
I don’t care if he scores the winner for us in game 7, his role needs to be on the 4th line in round 2 and I don’t see how he can play next year at all. He’s done

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
Still wanna see Petan - Matthews - Nylander.
Petan is a great passer. Throw him in the lineup and make this the last game Marleau ever plays for us.

Reactions: Carter IV

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
My theory on why Marleau gets playing time is because he's seen as an inert, nothing will necessarily go wrong while he's on the ice kind of player. Kind of up and down on his own wing, shuffles the puck along, adequate engagement along the boards, chips it into areas, sometimes gets a shot off.

Not that bad when you're nursing a lead and rolling lines but completely counter productive when you're chasing.

No speed, no explosiveness, no vision, nothing with the puck, muffin shot, no touch in close. Disengaged.

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
My theory on why Marleau gets playing time is because he's seen as an inert, nothing will necessarily go wrong while he's on the ice kind of player. Kind of up and down on his own wing, shuffles the puck along, adequate engagement along the boards, chips it into areas, sometimes gets a shot off.

Not that bad when you're nursing a lead and rolling lines but completely counter productive when you're chasing.

No speed, no explosiveness, no vision, nothing with the puck, muffin shot, no touch in close. Disengaged.

I agree. I think he has a bit of speed though, but he's fairly useless.

What is your theory on why Connor Brown is playing so much?

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
That's easily Nylander, Marleau, and Brown. It's not even debatable.
Debatable. Nylander has the highest +/- of all forwards and the best face off percentages. Marleau and brown have the 2nd highest +/- for forwards.

danron1376

Jan 3, 2011
pat quinn had the balls to sit Ronnie Franchise when he was on our team and in game 7 no less. not a good decision especially because his replacement was clarke wilm (who?) but babcock needs to show the same amount of balls and stop giving Marleau ice time in important situations just because he's a gud pro.

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
Still wanna see Petan - Matthews - Nylander.
Petan is a great passer. Throw him in the lineup and make this the last game Marleau ever plays for us.
Matthews has 5 goals in 6 games and you want to change both his wingers?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad