Why is it taking so long to extend Chabot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Why do you think they are sitting on money? The team isnt bringing in a lot and it’s got massive debt.
Do you think there is a big pile of money being hidden? I don’t get it

The team tabled fair deals to Stone and Duchene... unless that money vanished... they can easily table some of that money to Chabot

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
These are valid points.

But from both perspectives (Managment & Player) the possible changes to the CBA could be seen as beneficial, and the expected new USA TV deal should mean more HRR to be spread around the league.

If I'm Chabot, I wait and see how the CBA vote goes this September, and see what happens, and I would also wait, like Marner has done, until next summer.

Some people here, are furious that Dorion hasn't signed Chabot to a long term contract yet .......... but fail to take into account that Chabot and his agent also have a bargaining strategy as well, and I think time is one their side.

I don't disagree with that last sentence, there's certainly no pressure for Chabot to sign anything right now given the close we get to July 1st 2020 the more leverage he will have. That being said, I will take issue with you stating that Chabot will want to wait until a new CBA has been signed before he re-ups. That seems like an unnecessary risk for him and his agent given that a new CBA could eliminate some pretty enticing aspects of a contract (big signing bonus payouts, ect). I think he'll want to lock into a deal before a new CBA, but that there's no rush for him to do anything right now.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I can't think of any high profile RFA for any team that signed an extension in July, those happen maybe in September /October or wait until the offseason where it needs to happen.

Also, zero point in signing an extension prior to the upcoming lockout

A ~$10 million lockout protected signing bonus seems like a pretty darn good reason.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
I don't disagree with that last sentence, there's certainly no pressure for Chabot to sign anything right now given the close we get to July 1st 2020 the more leverage he will have. That being said, I will take issue with you stating that Chabot will want to wait until a new CBA has been signed before he re-ups. That seems like an unnecessary risk for him and his agent given that a new CBA could eliminate some pretty enticing aspects of a contract (big signing bonus payouts, ect). I think he'll want to lock into a deal before a new CBA, but that there's no rush for him to do anything right now.

He’s getting the same Aho offer sheet next July for sure...

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I think we all know deep down how this is going to go.

Dorion will fail to extend Chabot before next summer, where he will get an offer sheet for 9-10.5M over 5YRs. Not only would this be more than what we are offering, but it'll be almost entirely made up of signing bonuses and heavily front-loaded, so Melnyk will refuse to match.

We'll get a couple 1sts and Dorion will say it's his newest proudest day as GM and play it off as if it's just another part of the rebuild. He'll talk about everything he can do now with the money we saved by not signing him, but will end up completely failing to utilize the cap space beyond taking on a bad contract or two for far less of a sweetener than we should get.

Chabot will be slandered by hacks like Garrioch for not being a team player and not practicing, while Brannstrom and Wolanin will be hyped up as the reasons we didn't need Chabot anyways.

FYOUS indeed.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
He’s getting the same Aho offer sheet next July for sure...

If he makes it that far I'm expecting Bergevin to have learned his lesson and put together a more damaging offersheet (probably at the higher compensation range of 1st + 1st + 2nd + 3rd, which would be an incredibly disappointing return for TC).

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
If he makes it that far I'm expecting Bergevin to have learned his lesson and put together a more damaging offersheet (probably at the higher compensation range of 1st + 1st + 2nd + 3rd, which would be an incredibly disappointing return for TC).
I don't think he'd even need to go that far. Melnyk is not matching an offer that has him paying one player $21 million in one calendar year. That's almost half of what he's paying this year's entire roster.

Reactions: Sens and TheNewEra

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
The team tabled fair deals to Stone and Duchene... unless that money vanished... they can easily table some of that money to Chabot

Fair in what sense? Being paid millions? Fair is a stupid word the Ottawa media uses to mitigate the disaster Melnyck has brought to this market. Fair doesn’t exist, only market value exists.

They offered Stone $7 million, he signed for $9.5 and a full NMC and $50 million ins signing bonus money. $7 million is good money to anyone, but it’s not fair if your market is $9.5 on a max deal with a full NMC.

And draw this line to all the he way back to Alfie who said he didn’t think he was being offered fair money in Ottawa. They offered him $4.5 million and that’s a lot of money, but it’s not fair if you’re a UFA with multiple offers to play for contending teams, it’s just a lot of money.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
I think we all know deep down how this is going to go.

Dorion will fail to extend Chabot before next summer, where he will get an offer sheet for 9-10.5M over 5YRs. Not only would this be more than what we are offering, but it'll be almost entirely made up of signing bonuses and heavily front-loaded, so Melnyk will refuse to match.

We'll get a couple 1sts and Dorion will say it's his newest proudest day as GM and play it off as if it's just another part of the rebuild. He'll talk about everything he can do now with the money we saved by not signing him, but will end up completely failing to utilize the cap space beyond taking on a bad contract or two for far less of a sweetener than we should get.

Chabot will be slandered by hacks like Garrioch for not being a team player and not practicing, while Brannstrom and Wolanin will be hyped up as the reasons we didn't need Chabot anyways.

FYOUS indeed.

This is how I see it playing out as well

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

The money has to be generated throughout the year, and all reports are and have been some of the money spent on players has came out of EM’s pocket most years.
There is no pile of money sitting around. I hope things work out but this team appears to be going broke. If that’s the case I don’t see any way big contracts will be given out.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
The money has to be generated throughout the year, and all reports are and have been some of the money spent on players has came out of EM’s pocket most years.
There is no pile of money sitting around. I hope things work out but this team appears to be going broke. If that’s the case I don’t see any way big contracts will be given out.

Like I said bye bye Chabot by July 2020

Reactions: branch

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
That's the case with like 80% of owners. How many teams are making $60-80 mil in profit after debt expenses?

Unlike Eugene, most owners have primary revenue streams outside the teams they own. An NHL team is just an appreciating asset for them.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Depends on the side of the contract you're talking about

Ah, touché.

Not losing your franchise player to a crippling offersheet seems like a good reason for the other side to want to get something done, but that would only be the case if the Senators were run like an NHL franchise.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
That's the case with like 80% of owners. How many teams are making $60-80 mil in profit after debt expenses?

Unlike Eugene, most owners have primary revenue streams outside the teams they own. An NHL team is just an appreciating asset for them.

Correct. But that doesn't change how things are.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I see Chabot leaving as a foregone conclusion at this point. They just can't afford market value star player contracts with bonuses, simple as that. More will follow and FYOUS was always an obvious sham.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
I see Chabot leaving as a foregone conclusion at this point. They just can't afford market value star player contracts with bonuses, simple as that. More will follow and FYOUS was always an obvious sham.
Is this was the case so just move the team to Quebec

Reactions: branch

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
In the context of a rebuild, the move had to be done to eventually reach FYOUS, in the context of a rebuild.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
You have to spend the money somewhere and this seems like the perfect opportunity to show fans that he will spend when the time is right (or whatever bullshit he said).

Reactions: little BiG

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Will teams even tender offer sheets or UFA contracts next summer if they know a lockout is virtually a certainty? Seems like a hard sell by GMs to the owners to add more money payable up front without the certainty of a full year worth of revenues.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I honestly have no idea how we hit the cap floor next year without Chabot, given the money coming off the books. That doesn't mean EM will have the cash flow to sign him if an offersheet rolls in, just that PD will be scrambling to pick up any and every LTIR deal on the market.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Will teams even tender offer sheets or UFA contracts next summer if they know a lockout is virtually a certainty? Seems like a hard sell by GMs to the owners to add more money payable up front without the certainty of a full year worth of revenues.

Tons of teams would take the 1 year hit to be able to lock up a 22 year old #1 defenceman. Not every team obviously, but enough that the big guys will "get theirs". If anything it's the mid-level players who could end up taking a hit or being without a contract during the lockout.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
To all those who think that a Chabot deal should be done now, please find similar examples of an RFA signing a major deal this early.

As I said previously, at best it might happen just prior to the start of the season... Otherwise they pretty much always wait until the week before July 1

Reactions: Variable26
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad