Why is it taking so long to extend Chabot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
To all those who think that a Chabot deal should be done now, please find similar examples of an RFA signing a major deal this early.

As I said previously, at best it might happen just prior to the start of the season... Otherwise they pretty much always wait until the week before July 1
July 1, 2016 for a contract beginning 2017-18:
Aaron Ekblad - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

July 12, 2017 for a contract beginning 2018-19:
Jaccob Slavin - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

July 20, 2013 for a contract beginning 2014-15:
Sean Couturier - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

All coming off of their ELCs, signed at a whole year ahead

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Will teams even tender offer sheets or UFA contracts next summer if they know a lockout is virtually a certainty? Seems like a hard sell by GMs to the owners to add more money payable up front without the certainty of a full year worth of revenues.
It's no different then the offersheets given this year. The Habs/Canes gave out and matched an offersheet where there is a 10 million dollar bonus July 1st prior to the 2020 season and another 7 million dollar bonus the July 1st after the 2020 season. Both prior to, and immediately after the possible lockout season.

It's literally no different then any deal given out the past few years with bonus money for prior to and after the 2020-21 season, which is nearly every single big signing of the past 24 months.

There were tons of guys signed in 04' and 12' prior to the lockouts

Last edited:

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
To all those who think that a Chabot deal should be done now, please find similar examples of an RFA signing a major deal this early.

As I said previously, at best it might happen just prior to the start of the season... Otherwise they pretty much always wait until the week before July 1
This is a pretty unique situation we're staring down, though. Not many teams have bled off the talent we have in recent years. If I'm running the Sens front office priority #1 is to get Chabot re-signed, no matter the cost. Chabot must know this and know he has all the leverage, which isn't usually the case. The better question, IMO, is has a team ever been this heavily incentivized to sign a major RFA deal this early?

Sens

Jan 7, 2016

They’ve shown no investment in the club
No president, no qualified assistant GM, went with a rookie coac again

I know I’m not buying any tickets until I see some financial commitment from ownership

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Is this was the case so just move the team to Quebec
It's ridiculous, but I think it's their reality and what the market has set. Nothing I've seen over the last couple years (or even before that really) gives me any optimism they can fork out around 20 mil in up front bonus money in one calendar year to one player. They can do the AAV I'm sure no problem based on how little they have committed, but not the bonus money.
In the context of a rebuild, the move had to be done to eventually reach FYOUS, in the context of a rebuild.
FYOUS just had to be pushed back, don't worry guys, it's still pending.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

Then the Senators shouldn’t have said they wanted to extend Chabot this season, just don’t say anything.

The fans have a feeling this team cannot meet their promises - be that keeping players, making the playoffs, honouring the alumni, hiring a POHO, showing itself be a 1st class team - so when they say they want to do something positive it gets our hopes up (Lebreton, close with Stone, close with Duchesne, 1 goal away, Alfie is a Sen for life) and they always fall short, and no reason to not express your angst at another important moment in the Melnyck ownership coming up short of a promise.

ThreePosts

Jun 21, 2018
Why is it taking so long to extend McAvoy?
Why is it taking so long to extend Carlo?
Why is it taking so long to extend Boeser?
Why is it taking so long to extend Marner?
They are RFAs 2019.
Chabot? RFA 2020? LOL...
I'm pretty sure all those teams are managing cap issues...

Reactions: Grungy Remnant

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Mark Stone got a $9 million signing bonus 2 weeks ago from a team he was on for 2 months and is 2 years old. That’s probably more signing bonus money then Melnyck has ever paid out

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Mark Stone got a $9 million signing bonus 2 weeks ago from a team he was on for 2 months and is 2 years old. That’s probably more signing bonus money then Melnyck has ever paid out
Bobby Ryan has been paid $10M in SB so far by the sens.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017

Agreed. Don't see any reason for panic or full blown optimism yet. It's way too early and nobody here knows anything about the situation. That's not giving the front office the benefit of the doubt either, it's just so early.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Then the Senators shouldn’t have said they wanted to extend Chabot this season, just don’t say anything.

The fans have a feeling this team cannot meet their promises - be that keeping players, making the playoffs, honouring the alumni, hiring a POHO, showing itself be a 1st class team - so when they say they want to do something positive it gets our hopes up (Lebreton, close with Stone, close with Duchesne, 1 goal away, Alfie is a Sen for life) and they always fall short, and no reason to not express your angst at another important moment in the Melnyck ownership coming up short of a promise.
I have no problem with Dorion but I m agree he have to stop make promising. The 1 july he said you will see in 10 days how we gonna give hope to the fan

ThreePosts

Jun 21, 2018
Colorado and Winnipeg have a lot of cap space
McAvoy, Carlo (BOS), Boeser (VAN) and Marner (TOR)...I said "all those teams"..

The Sens (Chabot) have their own cap issues to manage too, but theirs is with the floor.

And Colorado and Winnipeg have their own cap issues to manage with their unsigned stars needing new deals.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Colorado and Winnipeg have a lot of cap space

Winnipeg has 7 forwards under contract listed on capfrindly. They most assuredly will not have "a lot" of cap space once they sign Laine/Connor/Pionk and bring up another 3-4 forwards from the minors.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I have no problem with Dorion but I m agree he have to stop make promising. The 1 july he said you will see in 10 days how we gonna give hope to the fan

I’m also alright with Dorion as a GM, but the Sens messaging has to be the worst in pro sports

Reactions: Crosside

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Wait, he said we would see something in 10 days from July 1?

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Wait, he said we would see something in 10 days from July 1?
Yeah he said in French but not very good in english for translate. Dorion a dit dans les 10 prochains jours nous allons faire des actions pour donner espoir a nos fan qu ont s en va dans la bonne direction

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
Why do you think they are sitting on money? The team isnt bringing in a lot and it’s got massive debt.
Do you think there is a big pile of money being hidden? I don’t get it

Perhaps what Sens was implying is that even at the cap floor a team can afford an 8-10 mil contract, as they were planning with Duchene or Stone. That spot is not being filled by them so we should allocate the same portion of the player budget that was going to go to Duch/Stone to Chabot.

ie: it has nothing to do with team finances. It's just how you spend the money that the team has to spend on players.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Yeah he said in French but not very good in english for translate. Dorion a dit dans les 10 prochains jours nous allons faire des actions pour donner espoir a nos fan qu ont s en va dans la bonne direction
That's an odd statement considering they've done basically nothing since the day he said this.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

Vegas played to 105.5% Capacity (2nd in NHL) last season.
All ticket/concession/parking/broadcasting rights/advertising revenues came in US Dollars

Ottawa played to 76% of Capacity (dead effing last in NHL)
All ticket/concession/parking/broadcasting rights/advertising revenues came in CDN Dollars

are you sure you're comparing the two franchises, on an even basis?

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Vegas played to 105.5% Capacity (2nd in NHL) last season.
All ticket/concession/parking/broadcasting rights/advertising revenues came in US Dollars

Ottawa played to 76% of Capacity (dead effing last in NHL)
All ticket/concession/parking/broadcasting rights/advertising revenues came in CDN Dollars

are you sure you're comparing the two franchises, on an even basis?

3500 difference in seating
2018-2019 NHL Attendance - National Hockey League - ESPN

Ottawa’s local TV deal blows away Vegas but I’m sure you already knew that too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->