Why is it taking so long to extend Chabot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Why didn't we sign Karlsson? Why didn't we extend Stone last summer?
melnyk-eugene-032219.jpg

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Pretty sure zero RFA-2020 players signed new contracts so far. Why would Chabot rush doing that. He's not dumb.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
It's too early to go full panic mode.

It's also too late to pretend like everything is okay given what's transpired here the last couple of seasons and the (drastically) changing RFA market.

Some funny posts on both sides of the argument in this thread so far.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Let's remember that there is also possibility of a Strike/Lockout that could begin prior to the 2020-21 season.

If the terms of a the CBA are changed because of this possibility, both parties, Management and Player might want to wait to see what happens

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
You know as dumb as it sounds because it presumes Melnyk has some foresight, I think Melnyk knows he's on very thin ice with the league and the fans. The ice is obviously already cracked wide open with the fans, but I think he's saving as much money as he can right now, and I also think he knows that he has to deliver FYOUS. Otherwise he loses the team and all of Ottawa, and becomes an even bigger clown (if possible...).

If we don't start spending more in a year from now, a big rage will begin. Bigger than we've seen before. What we've seen so far is nothing. Boycott? Public bashing of Melnyk? That's nothing compared to what we would see. People would go bananas. All that goes hand in hand with re-signing Chabot. Chabot-Brannstrom-Thomson-Wolanin-JBD-Jaros-Lajoie has the potential to be a top 3 D core in the league. If we get a bluechip forward prospect and start spending, we can actually be the best team we've ever been if we spend close to the cap. And yes, I'm including the 01-07 teams, this version of the Sens can be deeper than all of those squads.

The team is set up perfectly to succeed imo. There are ZERO bad contracts on the books in the long term for us, and lots of good prospects. Lots of future NHLers. Some will most likely be used to move up and get better draft picks, because there's just too much depth. Just one bluechip forward missing, and you know what, if Brown pans out, that one isn't even necessary.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ice-Tray

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
Chabot is worth 8x8 with good signing bonus money

It’s a contract Melnyk can’t afford

I think you’ll see Chabot dealt by the draft in Montreal
This. The longer this drags on, the more likely he's gone IMO. Given how contracts are increasingly structured around signing bonuses (will that be a big sticking point of the next potential lockout?), not only can Melnyk not afford it, but it makes the Sens more vulnerable to offer sheets than a lot of other teams. Make no mistake, Chabot is already in the $8 million+ per year range. If another team were to tender an offer sheet in that range with 50% of his salary paid in signing bonuses, Euge would balk at it. Best to try and get some players for him as opposed to draft picks exclusively.

Obviously, I hope they keep him. It would go a looooong way towards repairing relations with a lot of fans while showing that this "rebuild" isn't purely the cost-cutting measure that many of us believe it to be. But if he is moved, I am eager to see Melnyk and Dorion attempt to spin trading a 23-year-old star defenceman as "part of the rebuild."

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Let's remember that there is also possibility of a Strike/Lockout that could begin prior to the 2020-21 season.

If the terms of a the CBA are changed because of this possibility, both parties, Management and Player might want to wait to see what happens

The lockout wouldn't technically happen until September. Seems like it would be a big risk for the team to leave him as an unsigned RFA all summer given the fact we just saw an offersheet tossed out this summer (not to mention the fact the team who sent out the offer sheet would love nothing more than a french speaking star player).

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
FYOUS

They are sitting on money from the Duchene and Stone extensions

Re-invest that money into the club
Give the fan base hope?

Why do you think they are sitting on money? The team isnt bringing in a lot and it’s got massive debt.
Do you think there is a big pile of money being hidden? I don’t get it

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013

honestly the lockout might be the only reason why chabot signs early so i kind of hope the lockout fearmongering picks up

otherwise it makes sense for him to wait for offersheets (bonus heavy contract offers)

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Why do you think they are sitting on money? The team isnt bringing in a lot and it’s got massive debt.
Do you think there is a big pile of money being hidden? I don’t get it

To play devil's advocate, if the rumoured "serious" offers to Karlsson, Stone and Duchene were based in reality the team should have $65+ million that they had earmarked for one of those guys. Even more in the event they were trying to sign Duchene and Stone together.

I tend to agree with you that there's no money and that was all some big production to drum up ticket sales though. The proof is in the pudding (paying a pick to get the Leafs to pay a couple of bonuses despite being under the cap).

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I can't think of any high profile RFA for any team that signed an extension in July, those happen maybe in September /October or wait until the offseason where it needs to happen.

Also, zero point in signing an extension prior to the upcoming lockout

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
The lockout wouldn't technically happen until September. Seems like it would be a big risk for the team to leave him as an unsigned RFA all summer given the fact we just saw an offersheet tossed out this summer (not to mention the fact the team who sent out the offer sheet would love nothing more than a french speaking star player).

These are valid points.

But from both perspectives (Managment & Player) the possible changes to the CBA could be seen as beneficial, and the expected new USA TV deal should mean more HRR to be spread around the league.

If I'm Chabot, I wait and see how the CBA vote goes this September, and see what happens, and I would also wait, like Marner has done, until next summer.

Some people here, are furious that Dorion hasn't signed Chabot to a long term contract yet .......... but fail to take into account that Chabot and his agent also have a bargaining strategy as well, and I think time is one their side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad