Why is it taking so long to extend Chabot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Dont know about you guys but I'm getting a bit anxious. This is a critical piece of the FYOUS puzzle, is it not?

I have re-upped my season tix this year and while I expect to be in an empty building most of the time, I was also looking forward to watching the younger Sens players develop.

I am hoping that Chabot gets signed soon to a meaningful (5 x 5, 6 x 6, etc) contract. I would take this as a sign of faith that this franchise is trying to go in the right direction.
My condolences.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
After such actions, you will no longer work in the front office of any NHL club.
I would have said the same of Dorion based on past transactions, and yet here we are. This would be very specifically for Chabot, very specifically to stem the bleeding and bring back the fanbase, and very specifically an attempt to clean up some of the mess than we already have. It's a goodwill gesture. In normal circumstances, sure, you play ball. You negotiate. You try to get the best bang for your buck. But these aren't normal circumstances.

Hun

Apr 8, 2019
I would have said the same of Dorion based on past transactions, and yet here we are. This would be very specifically for Chabot, very specifically to stem the bleeding and bring back the fanbase, and very specifically an attempt to clean up some of the mess than we already have. It's a goodwill gesture. In normal circumstances, sure, you play ball. You negotiate. You try to get the best bang for your buck. But these aren't normal circumstances.
Remove some of the clutter to make even more clutter? If you are going to clean this way, then you will have even more problems.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Strange, but action was enough.
? There was literally no action in that 10 day period.

Since the statement was made after the Ennis/Hainsey signings and the Zaitsev trade, he's literally done nothing in that 10 day period he specifically pointed to.

Hun

Apr 8, 2019
? There was literally no action in that 10 day period.

Since the statement was made after the Ennis/Hainsey signings and the Zaitsev trade, he's literally done nothing in that 10 day period he specifically pointed to.
If it was after July 1, then I agree. But I had enough action until July 2.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
3500 difference in seating
2018-2019 NHL Attendance - National Hockey League - ESPN

Ottawa’s local TV deal blows away Vegas but I’m sure you already knew that too

More like 3800 tickets. Over the year thats more than 150,000 tickets
With the average cost of a vegas ticket bein 168. Thats an extra 25 million.
Never mind the extra money on the other 570 000 tickets they sell for 3 times as much as the sens do

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Chabot's not extending, he's waiting on the inevitable offer sheets from real teams next off season, we have discussed this, outside of getting injured for life this season why would he sign here and now?

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Chabot's not extending, he's waiting on the inevitable offer sheets from real teams next off season, we have discussed this, outside of getting injured for life this season why would he sign here and now?

It didn't take long for the "Ottawa sucks and no one would want to play here" rhetoric to fill this thread.

I guess all the other RFA's who haven't signed yet hate their teams too...

Reactions: swiftwin

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
It didn't take long for the "Ottawa sucks and no one would want to play here" rhetoric to fill this thread.

I guess all the other RFA's who haven't signed yet hate their teams too...

If you want to ignore the current facts of the situation that is your prerogative, I understand by your replies that the organization can do no wrong which I fundamentally disagree with and feel the recent evidence has more than proven my stance correct. We shall wait and see I guess, I like my chances of being proven correct here!

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
If you want to ignore the current facts of the situation that is your prerogative, I understand by your replies that the organization can do no wrong which I fundamentally disagree with and feel the recent evidence has more than proven my stance correct. We shall wait and see I guess, I like my chances of being proven correct here!

I know the grass is greener elsewhere.

We will see in a year what transpired.

Having the ability to look on the bright side is good character trait

Reactions: swiftwin

little BiG

Dec 6, 2018
My condolences.
Yeah I know. But I do enjoy the experience of going, if anything else to watch other good teams play.

Gotta find a new scapegaoat to yell at now since Ceci is gone. He was taunted and booed until my throat was sore! Guess I can still scream at Anderson to stay in his net.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

No. It's not facts, there is no recent evidence. Players and agents don't look at offer sheets as a way out, they dont have that luxury because at the end of the day it is in the hands of the team. As rare as an offer sheet signing is its more rare that a team doesn't match an offer sheet. You can stomp your feet all you want want about what has transpired but it doesn't make you right.

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
It saddens me to say this but I think he get's offersheeting 100% next year and melnyk won't match because of the bonuses. :(

little BiG

Dec 6, 2018
Because he has a chance to be the show, get tons of ice, likely another all-star appearance and be relatively close to home.

He also seems like a pretty humble guy who has strong values and good life priorities. It doesnt take from the fact that he, like everyone else, wants to win but an opportunity to get in on the ground floor may be appealing. That's how I would sell it if I was the GM...

Reactions: Upgrayedd

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Chabot will need and will be advised to accept no less than a market value contract.

The market has spoken and any offer will need to include significant up front bonus money. Could be anywhere from 10 to 20 million in year one alone including some lockout protection bonus structure however that works out.

I'm curious to know if those optimistic about this feel that way because they either a) think that the bonus money won't be a problem for Melnyk, or b) think Chabot will give a discount and not demand a bonus heavy deal, or c) a little of both.

My opinion is discounts are gone this day and age. This is a business and Chabot will be advised to operate as such. The only question imo is whether or not Melnyk can and will pony up a ton of bonus money, and I don't see how anyone could have optimism on that front after kicking the can with no long term commitments for about 5 years now.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
No. It's not facts, there is no recent evidence. Players and agents don't look at offer sheets as a way out, they dont have that luxury because at the end of the day it is in the hands of the team. As rare as an offer sheet signing is its more rare that a team doesn't match an offer sheet. You can stomp your feet all you want want about what has transpired but it doesn't make you right.
Erik Karlsson
Matt Duchene
Mark Stone

Do their current contracts with the Ottawa Senators fill you with optimism?

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
There has never been a more vulnerable team than the current Sens. If Melnyk would be able to match a contract that would pay Chabot 20 mil in one year I’d love to see it, but I’m not giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Saying it won’t happen just because “it’s rare” is not a good argument.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
MTL screwed us with the Aho sheet.

If you're Chabot, you know that if you hit July 1st 2020 a good team will pay you 8.5 * 5 with signing bonuses to try and steak you. For Chabot, that's an overpayment AAV wise on that term, so of course he signs it. A team would offer it because the dynamic is different stealing a player than it is re-signing your own. A team won't care about slightly overpaying in one asset (cap) if they are getting a possibly top 10 defender in his prime for a 1st/2nd/3rd.

Unless for some strange reason he wants to stay here badly enough to leave cash on the table, he will play 1 more year here and get dealt for a package at the 2020 draft. Sens will blame the league for allowing bonuses to be abused.

Sens being vulnerable to an offer sheet ups what we have to pay Chabot because we now have to compete against the prospect of Chabot deciding to wait until July 1st 2020 to see if the predatory sheet comes. Players on non-budget teams don't have this luxury because rival teams aren't going to offer something they know will be matched.

The Sens also cannot wait until July 1st 2020 because if they know they can't match the equivalent of the Aho sheet, they can't risk being put in a position to lose Chabot for a 1st/2nd/3rd. They need to trade Chabot at the draft to maximize the returns

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
This thread is far to premature. Having a player extended a year before they become an RFA is not the norm. I get why Sens fans are bringing this up though. There is serious doubt that the organization is willing to pay its young core players fair market value long term contracts.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Vegas played to 105.5% Capacity (2nd in NHL) last season.
All ticket/concession/parking/broadcasting rights/advertising revenues came in US Dollars

Ottawa played to 76% of Capacity (dead effing last in NHL)
All ticket/concession/parking/broadcasting rights/advertising revenues came in CDN Dollars

are you sure you're comparing the two franchises, on an even basis?

So Ottawa cant afford Chabot it Tkachuk or Stone or Karlsson or Duchene?

Melnyck has ruined his relationship with the fans and the city. Don’t give me the ‘If fans want to keep players they have to sell out lone’ we did for years and Alfie, Spezza, Havalat, Chara and all the rest left. It’s mismanagement and horrid ownership.

If Menlnyck wants more revenues build a new stadium, but he’s to stupid to even accomplish something the city gift wrapped for him to do.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Erik Karlsson
Matt Duchene
Mark Stone

Do their current contracts with the Ottawa Senators fill you with optimism?

Different players at a different stage in their careers so the example isn't parallel. Losing those players has created some doubt and it makes you aware but to suggest it is inevitable is perhaps going a little bit beyond reason.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
I know the grass is greener elsewhere.

We will see in a year what transpired.

Having the ability to look on the bright side is good character trait

Agreed as is looking at the reality of the situation, using critical thinking skills and all info available to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->