Why is it taking so long to extend Chabot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
And you'll be there justifying it if they manage to **** it up or can't afford to pay him.

Around and around we go.

Pretty much.

Colin White is first contract Sens have signed long term since Bobby Ryan in 2014. And its a mid tier contract.

Its par for course that Ice is pretending like this is the norm instead of the exception.

Thumbs up on the deal for sure, now lets see if they can sign a premier player.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
As I said, the locker room stuff can’t really be a discussion point with you given that you have chosen to simply ignore the evidence.

You, on the best goalie to ever play for us: “over the hill, over paid, cap casualty, non contributors nobody wants on the team anymore...”

Players should be lining up to play in front of folks like yourself who carry such thoughtful opinions on a star players, once they start to decline. It would be neat to read your opinions in EK at 35 making 12 million a season....lol.

Common sense again: PD can try to sign players, and can offer them as much as he’s able or willing. The players also have to sign when they are impending UFAs. Summary: PD can try hard to get a deal done AND the player can still choose to walk. No one has to be a big fat liar, I hope that clears that up for you.

The whole point with an RFA is that he can’t just walk away, and he doesn’t have to be traded. His options outside of signing a deal are arbitration if he’s eligible, signing an offersheet if one is offered, or sitting out. There is no realistic scenario where the team ‘can’t’ sign him. I don’t even see a realistic situation where the team wouldn’t be willing to pay big and long for him, given that he’s in a completely different point in his career than either Stone or EK.

Like with White just now, a deal will get done and you’ll fall silent until the next sky is falling moment comes along.
Naw, you're the one taking extremely limited "evidence" too literally and have peddled it off as gospel for a while now. Besides, it was mostly poor goaltending and Dorion's inability to construct a competitive roster after the personnel losses and injuries that led to the collapse anyways, so why bother trying to bring up locker room drama?

It's pro sports man, don't be so sensitive about labeling. They have all hit the lotto financially and are revered celebrities, it comes with the territory. When you're done, you're done and you get called out for it if you're still on a big contract. He was the best goalie and I celebrate him for that, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to call it like I see it. People like yourself celebrate not signing Karlsson or Stone because they might be overpaid over life of his contract, but I can't call a spade a spade because of his history?

Yup, all these guys engaged in contract discussions signalling they want to stay, while ultimately not signing. Stone in particular was there for them if they offered market value. If they'd offered market value in all aspects, they would have locked up some of them. Again, believe what you will though.

You know exactly what I mean with this one. Quite obviously RFA's can be forced to sit if they don't sign or receive an offersheet. I never implied otherwise. The fact remains, if they don't offer him market value he will end up playing elsewhere, unless you think he'll sit out his entire career over signing an offer sheet or requesting a trade to a team that would pay him accordingly. You are confident they will pay him 10-20 mil bonus money in year one, I am not and have seen nothing but cost savings for years giving me that impression, even giving up assets for small salary considerations that pale in comparison to expected TC bonuses.

And you'll be here with your walls of opinionated text on your mission to try to drown out anything negative. I guess we fit then.

Reactions: Acidrain66

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Naw, you're the one taking extremely limited "evidence" too literally and have peddled it off as gospel for a while now. Besides, it was mostly poor goaltending and Dorion's inability to construct a competitive roster after the personnel losses and injuries that led to the collapse anyways, so why bother trying to bring up locker room drama?

It's pro sports man, don't be so sensitive about labeling. They have all hit the lotto financially and are revered celebrities, it comes with the territory. When you're done, you're done and you get called out for it if you're still on a big contract. He was the best goalie and I celebrate him for that, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to call it like I see it. People like yourself celebrate not signing Karlsson or Stone because they might be overpaid over life of his contract, but I can't call a spade a spade because of his history?

Yup, all these guys engaged in contract discussions signalling they want to stay, while ultimately not signing. Stone in particular was there for them if they offered market value. If they'd offered market value in all aspects, they would have locked up some of them. Again, believe what you will though.

You know exactly what I mean with this one. Quite obviously RFA's can be forced to sit if they don't sign or receive an offersheet. I never implied otherwise. The fact remains, if they don't offer him market value he will end up playing elsewhere, unless you think he'll sit out his entire career over signing an offer sheet or requesting a trade to a team that would pay him accordingly. You are confident they will pay him 10-20 mil bonus money in year one, I am not and have seen nothing but cost savings for years giving me that impression, even giving up assets for small salary considerations that pale in comparison to expected TC bonuses.

And you'll be here with your walls of opinionated text on your mission to try to drown out anything negative. I guess we fit then.

We fit ;)

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Pretty much.

Colin White is first contract Sens have signed long term since Bobby Ryan in 2014. And its a mid tier contract.

Its par for course that Ice is pretending like this is the norm instead of the exception.

Thumbs up on the deal for sure, now lets see if they can sign a premier player.

Hmmmm, so what you’re saying is that signing our RFAs is the exception?

Not sure folks are thinking things through before posting.

UFA signings and RFA signings are not the same thing, not even really comparable. Not does the team history show that we consistently don’t sign our RFAs.

But hey, let’s not let that get in the way of our pity party in here!

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Hmmmm, so what you’re saying is that signing our RFAs is the exception?

Not sure folks are thinking things through before posting.

UFA signings and RFA signings are not the same thing, not even really comparable. Not does the team history show that we consistently don’t sign our RFAs.

But hey, let’s not let that get in the way of our pity party in here!
Being critical instead of cheer leading is a pretty common thing in sports, it's not exclusive to the Ottawa Senators, so not sure why you're always trying to do the high and mighty, "I'm better than everyone because my optimism is unflappable!" thing.

Reactions: Acidrain66

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Being critical instead of cheer leading is a pretty common thing in sports, it's not exclusive to the Ottawa Senators, so not sure why you're always trying to do the high and mighty, "I'm better than everyone because my optimism is unflappable!" thing.

It's so tiring. I love being patronized for being critical of the decisions of a front office that has a lower IQ than my dog.

Wait, they signed Colin White, all is forgiven!

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
It's so tiring. I love being patronized for being critical of the decisions of a front office that has a lower IQ than my dog.

Wait, they signed Colin White, all is forgiven!
No kidding. It's like politics. Half the population dislikes and criticizes the party in charge at any given time.

I don't agree with their moves time and time again. I don't believe in the vision of the people in charge. Why am I somehow just a negative person because I won't throw my support behind them and just assume they'll do things they haven't in ages?

The media also ran with this story and message extensively, including many of the more high profile analysts, so it's not like it can be argued that it some exclusive bs to a couple negative people on a forum.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Nope, as I have clearly indicated, there is no excuse for not signing TC.

But hey, it makes for a better one liner diss if you ignore the content of my posts in here though right.

Time to up the quality of your input dude.

I don't need to sift through your walls of text that always end off with a condescending jab at fans who are critical of an organization that deserves every ounce of criticism that it receives.

The quality of my input is fine, thank you.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I don't need to sift through your walls of text that always end off with a condescending jab at fans who are critical of an organization that deserves every ounce of criticism that it receives.

The quality of my input is fine, thank you.

Your reading comprehension is flawed, you should spend more time reading them rather than commenting on them clearly.

I don’t condescend you, that’s a ‘you’ interpretation from inside your head.

Rather than a simple apology for mischaracterizing my position while attempting to criticize me, you choose instead to move the goal posts and double down.

Speaks to character, which again, is not my problem.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

I’d not know why you and lemon have switched gears to moan about all of this positivity/cheerleading crap instead of the topic we were actually discussing. I speaks to the strength of your points when you have to move to obfuscation.

Just because you may miserable or whatever doesn’t mean I’m all high and mighty by default. I really don’t care about seeming or feeling better than folks in here, the internet doesn’t feed me in that manner.

I like discussions, and this one has turned lame.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Your reading comprehension is flawed, you should spend more time reading them rather than commenting on them clearly.

I don’t condescend you, that’s a ‘you’ interpretation from inside your head.

Rather than a simple apology for mischaracterizing my position while attempting to criticize me, you choose instead to move the goal posts and double down.

Speaks to character, which again, is not my problem.

Hmm. Interesting that it's a 'me' thing yet so many people around these parts seem to agree.

I guess it's an 'us' thing.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018

Very relevant to the Chabot contract. Obviously he won't get 10, but if Provorov gets lets say an 8x8 contract, Werenski will beat that by a bit, and then McAvoy beats him, and then Chabot gets more than all of them. Looks like the trend in sports these days, whoever signs next will get more. All about setting a new benchmark.

There's no way Eugene forks over 9M a year to a 23 year old. I'm scared.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON

Very relevant to the Chabot contract. Obviously he won't get 10, but if Provorov gets lets say an 8x8 contract, Werenski will beat that by a bit, and then McAvoy beats him, and then Chabot gets more than all of them. Looks like the trend in sports these days, whoever signs next will get more. All about setting a new benchmark.

That's f***ing terrifying. Chabot is the best of the current young crop of D by a pretty wide margin. If one of these GM's caves and signs a really high bar-setting contract, we're in trubs.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
That's ****ing terrifying. Chabot is the best of the current young crop of D by a pretty wide margin. If one of these GM's caves and signs a really high bar-setting contract, we're in trubs.
I think it'll be CBJ if it's anyone. Philly and Boston already have some bigger contracts, where CBJ doesn't anymore. And he means more to CBJ than McAvoy and Prov mean to their respective teams. Werenski is a top 2 player on his team (like Chabot, uh oh).

Hopefully Kekalainen holds strong.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Provorov is asking for 10 million per year, with obvious signing bonuses.

Provorov
Year 1 - 6g 24a 30p in 82 games. 21:59 avg ice time
Year 2 - 17g 24a 41p in 82 games. 24:09 avg ice time
Year 3 - 7g 19a 26p in 82 games. 25:07 avg ice time

30 goals, 67 assists, 97 points in 246 games. 0.39ppg

Chabot
Year 1 - 9g 16a 25p in 63 games. 17:31 avg ice time.
Year 2 - 14g 41a 55p in 70 games. 24:10 avg ice time.
Year 3 - TBD

23 goals, 57 assists, 80 points in 135 games. 0.60ppg

Chabot's camp will be asking for over 10 million a year very easily, along with serious bonus money.

That would be 3 million per year higher than the largest aav contract in Sens history, and the 1st year of bonus money would be more than the total amount this franchise has spent on bonuses overall.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEasy

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

Still, over 8 years when those are all of the players prime years is actually a way better deal for the team than what EK was signed to for example.

I think it’s actually a good thing for both parties to make the biggest contracts coincide with the players most productive years.

Obviously it’s a gamble paying for the now, but all of the defencemen in question are as sure a thing at this point as you can gamble in barring injuries. There has been enough time over the course of the ELC to see what your buying.

For the Sens, these are these best kind of deals in particular because as long as the players continue to play at their current level, they are both worth the money, and are tradable. Given that the team is paying for prime years the gamble is more likely to pay off.

To be honest, PD and EM should be all over signing these kinds of deals.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Still, over 8 years when those are all of the players prime years is actually a way better deal for the team than what EK was signed to for example.

I think it’s actually a good thing for both parties to make the biggest contracts coincide with the players most productive years.

Obviously it’s a gamble paying for the now, but all of the defencemen in question are as sure a thing at this point as you can gamble in barring injuries. There has been enough time over the course of the ELC to see what your buying.

For the Sens, these are these best kind of deals in particular because as long as the players continue to play at their current level, they are both worth the money, and are tradable. Given that the team is paying for prime years the gamble is more likely to pay off.

To be honest, PD and EM should be all over signing these kinds of deals.

This is all pretty obvious is it not? There's really no question whether or not the Sens should sign Chabot to essentially any contract he wants, is there? The question is and will remain, can/will they?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Provorov is asking for 10 million per year, with obvious signing bonuses.

Provorov
Year 1 - 6g 24a 30p in 82 games. 21:59 avg ice time
Year 2 - 17g 24a 41p in 82 games. 24:09 avg ice time
Year 3 - 7g 19a 26p in 82 games. 25:07 avg ice time

30 goals, 67 assists, 97 points in 246 games. 0.39ppg

Chabot
Year 1 - 9g 16a 25p in 63 games. 17:31 avg ice time.
Year 2 - 14g 41a 55p in 70 games. 24:10 avg ice time.
Year 3 - TBD

23 goals, 57 assists, 80 points in 135 games. 0.60ppg

Chabot's camp will be asking for over 10 million a year very easily, along with serious bonus money.

You know, if he keeps it up until next summer , then you sign him up for the 10 at 8 and enjoy watching him play until he turns 30.

We know that dollar amount, or close, was in the table for the three UFAs so I don’t see it as being a problem when locking up a guy through his entire prime.

There will be bonus money, but on an 8 year RFA contract I don’t think it will be as big a deal as it has been for the top tier UFAs lately. They don’t have all of the leverage, there is no competition, and they are getting a lot of job security for a young man with only a few years of NHL play. It seems to make so much more sense than the constantly ratcheting up salaries players are getting, while their effectiveness in the ice typically starts to diminish.

I definitely prefer this turn in salary payouts. The other thing to consider is that if the bonus, and perhaps ltir, loopholes are closed in the new CBA, perhaps the team will be more amenable to ‘biting the bullet’ on having a single large bonus structure contract. And at least it would be the right player getting it, if there was only to be one.

Anyways, interesting times for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad