Why do so many of the media think the Hall-Larsson trade changed the trade market?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highmarker

Oct 31, 2011
all you have to do is look at the goals for and goals against of Edmonton and New Jersey from last year to this year to see who won the trade.

Oilers 2015-2016 GF 133 GA 166
Oilers 2016-2017 GF 152 GA 137

Devils 2015-2016 GF 122 GA 123
Devils 2016-2017 GF 124 GA 151

The way the game is now the d men are more important than your forwards if the d corps can't get the puck out of their own end you can have all the forward talent you want it isn't going to do much. Hall has helped the devils score 2 more goals than they had last year while they have let in just about 30 more against.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I think it's because most people thought you could get more for Taylor Hall than a dmen who is playing the 4th most minutes on your blue line

Exactly. Larsson isn't that good. He's solid but they moved a premium asset for him

Highmarker

Oct 31, 2011
Exactly. Larsson isn't that good. He's solid but they moved a premium asset for him

I think Larsson will down the road be extremely good for the oilers though. He already plays the most minutes 5 on 5 for the team he just gets absolutely zero PP time right now. I think eventually he'll be a 25 minute a night d man who can put up 30 points.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
all you have to do is look at the goals for and goals against of Edmonton and New Jersey from last year to this year to see who won the trade.

The way the game is now the d men are more important than your forwards if the d corps can't get the puck out of their own end you can have all the forward talent you want it isn't going to do much. Hall has helped the devils score 2 more goals than they had last year while they have let in just about 30 more against.

Precisely. Well put.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006

pretty obvious. also look at the oilers record. best in well over a decade. yes yes I know schneider is having a bad season and larsson is a #4 dman still. and around we go :popcorn:

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Larsson isn't sexy, but he's very good. That type is underappreciated by fans but i think very important to coaches.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
That's not even a good comparison. Nylander is being criminally underrated around these parts. Connor freakin Carrick had similar stats to Montour last year in the A for **** sake.

First off, no he didn't. Last season Carrick had 29 points in 52 games. Montour had 57 points in 68 games. Carrick had a pretty great playoff performance putting up 18 points in 15 games, and that was impressive, but 15 games doesn't trump what Montour has been doing now for 102 games. Personally, I think this is doubly true when you look at who Carrick was playing with in those playoffs, but that's just me.

Secondly, that was Montour's first full season in the AHL. It was Carrick's second. Montour has put up 30 points in 34 games this season, his second. Not only was Montour named to the All-Rookie team, but he was named to the First All-Star Team.

Last edited:

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
which team misses their former player more?

cause I can tell you the Oilers need the defense of Larsson more than the offense of Hall...

I have said it before and I will say it again, the trade only made sense for the Oilers because they also had Lucic lined up.

If it was a straight swap of Larsson for Hall, I think the results would be a lot more mediocre, but because they had the UFA signing ready to go it was actually Lucic + Larsson for Hall in effect

Highmarker

Oct 31, 2011
I have said it before and I will say it again, the trade only made sense for the Oilers because they also had Lucic lined up.

If it was a straight swap of Larsson for Hall, I think the results would be a lot more mediocre, but because they had the UFA signing ready to go it was actually Lucic + Larsson for Hall in effect

except Lucic hasn't been very good this year for the oilers... he's currently playing on the 3rd line.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
why do you guys keep comparing the two teams when comparing the players...edm has a solid goalie, nice looking D core, and elite forwards...jersey has a horrible team

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
First off, no he didn't. Last season Carrick had 29 points in 52 games. Montour had 57 points in 68 games.

Secondly, that was Montour's first full season in the AHL. It was Carrick's second. Montour has put up 30 points in 34 games this season, his second. Not only was Montour named to the All-Rookie team, but he was named to the First All-Star Team.

They had similar stats and are similar prospects if you know nothing about Montour and think 0.55 points per game is the same as 0.84 points per game...

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
They had similar stats and are similar prospects if you know nothing about Montour and think 0.55 points per game is the same as 0.84 points per game...
0.55 and 0.84 can both be rounded up to 1.00 :sarcasm:

Last edited:

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Whether or not there's been a lasting change to the "market" has yet to be seen, but it does make sense that the value of top 4 dmen that can play at both end of the ice (especially right handers) is high, there simply isn't enough to go around at a high enough level to match the offensive skill in the league right now.

And- while one transaction might be representative of a change, it's not the cause. Some dumbass getting bent over doesn't set the price for the next guy, other wise the cost of a knockoff watch wouldn't be much different than the real mccoy

That being said I have know if the extent of the value shift is to the degree the media/ board expects, but we'll see in time.

Also, such a shift would in no way effect the value of defensive prospects (outside of the 2-3 top guys that are sure things). The value (of proven d) is because of a shortage. The shortage is because d prospects are a crapshoot and not enough turn out.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

Yeah, I'm a little confused how he reached that conclusion.

Carrick, undeniably, had a better playoffs than Montour. He was also playing with some impressive young talent, and that pace was clearly not the norm for him. Montour, on the other hand, has just continued to put up pretty great numbers.

I get that not everyone knows about Montour. He's an Anaheim prospect(they don't get a ton of exposure), and he is a bit of an unusual case, in terms of the route he's taken. He didn't really fully commit to hockey until a bit later vs. most players. I just wish people would acknowledge they didn't know enough about him, instead of just dismissing him as "not very good". He might well be Anaheim's best prospect right now, and that's competing against guys like Steel, Theodore, Jones, Nattinen, Larsson, etc... He's a legitimate talent.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I think the the joke is you trying to pass judgement on a player you clearly know nothing about.

If Montour were a Toronto prospect, I suspect we would be hearing all about him. He's a terrific young talent.

I'm not the only one who thinks there's nothing special about him.

I do not overrate Leaf prospects.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
pretty obvious. also look at the oilers record. best in well over a decade. yes yes I know schneider is having a bad season and larsson is a #4 dman still. and around we go :popcorn:

He's our #1 when we are defending a close game.

deployment-1617-EDM-d.png

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
I absolutely LOVE the Leafs fans in this thread telling us Oilers fans everything about our team. We had no clue!! Thanks a bunch.

If McDavid is the reason for all this success, I say we trade every player not named McDavid for picks and sign a free-agent team at league minimum. If we were gonna be just as good as long as Connor is in the lineup, may as well save Katz some $$$.

We watch our team and have been for the past decade. We are better with Larsson in the lineup than Hall, sure Hall may the better player in a vacuum, but for this team Larsson is much, much more important to our success. Stop trying to convince us otherwise with your bad arguments. Thanks.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I'm not the only one who thinks there's nothing special about him.

I do not overrate Leaf prospects.

How much have you actually seen of him again? I'm guessing little, to nothing at all.

You said he isn't very good. I'd love to see a list of people who agree with you, who are actually making an informed opinion. Your opinion, I suspect, is not informed. Not being exposed to a player doesn't mean he isn't good. It just means you don't know them.

And I didn't say you overrate Leaf prospects. What I implied was that you'd actually know something about him if he were a Leaf prospect, and you'd understand how talented he is. My feeling is that if you saw him regularly, you wouldn't deny that he is a very talented prospect. That's my conclusion: Your judgement of him is based on ignorance. There is no shame in not knowing much about a prospect for another team. It's certainly better to admit that you don't know than to put your foot in your mouth and make a false claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad