Why do so many of the media think the Hall-Larsson trade changed the trade market?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
It's getting rather annoying now. Just because one organization and GM decided to do it does not mean the (Soon to be 30) others would make a move like that. It was a rather unique situation which will rarely even come up again.

Also, the media thinks Edmonton being better and New Jersey being worse is case closed. It worked! Well no. What no one ever mentions is Corey Schneider's numbers have regressed terribly. He was elite last season. That is a massive reason why they are not at the level they were last season (Still, not that far off). They went from elite to below average this season in goal.

Also, Edmonton has had a healthy McDavid (Also a year older). Their overall numbers when he is not on the ice is still not impressive.

I just don't see anyone team making a move like that. Most can't afford to even think about moving a forward the age and skill-set of a Hall.

Just this week, an analyst I always respect-Pierre Lebrun claimed the Leafs might trade William Nylander for Brandon Montour. That's ridiculous. I guarantee the Leafs would never do that.

Last edited:

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Nobody also knows what other young defenseman Hall could have fetched last summer or even during the prior season.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
which team misses their former player more?

cause I can tell you the Oilers need the defense of Larsson more than the offense of Hall...

The Oilers have McDavid. They were going to be competitive this year regardless as long as he was healthy.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
Just in regards to your point on Schneider regressing, would it not be fair to say that part of the reason for his regression has been because of the loss of Larsson? So now people are understanding the value of a player like Larsson in seeing the lesser play of Schneider, and the better play of Talbot?

A trade like this one isn't usually your go-to, first option, so I certainly don't expect Nylander to be traded for less value anytime soon. But Edmonton got desperate, they failed a few times in free agency, so they pulled the trigger on this trade. I agree that it was a unique scenario and that not all teams would make a move like that, but it's interesting that you bring up Toronto as a team that definitely wouldn't make a move like that when I think they're actually a team that might consider it [at some point] because like Edmonton, they are so stacked up front with a ton of young talent, but they have major issues on the back-end.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
which team misses their former player more?

cause I can tell you the Oilers need the defense of Larsson more than the offense of Hall...

You can't just look at the standings and say New Jersey misses their guy more. There are other issues which I noted that are never considered.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
What about RyJo for Seth Jones? I thought that was a overpayment. A necessary one though.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Just in regards to your point on Schneider regressing, would it not be fair to say that part of the reason for his regression has been because of the loss of Larsson? So now people are understanding the value of a player like Larsson in seeing the lesser play of Schneider, and the better play of Talbot?

A trade like this one isn't usually your go-to, first option, so I certainly don't expect Nylander to be traded for less value anytime soon. But Edmonton got desperate, they failed a few times in free agency, so they pulled the trigger on this trade. I agree that it was a unique scenario and that not all teams would make a move like that, but it's interesting that you bring up Toronto as a team that definitely wouldn't make a move like that when I think they're actually a team that might consider it [at some point] because like Edmonton, they are so stacked up front with a ton of young talent, but they have major issues on the back-end.

I didn't say they would not. I said they'd never specifically trade Nylander for Montour.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I think NJD fans were the only people that originally thought the trade was closer then most other people. It was still an overpay by EDM but by not as much as we all thought. Edmonton still needs a high scoring winger now that Hall is gone since no other winger on the team has taken that role but they needed a top pairing D way more. Now the defence is 1 piece away from being a pretty good defensive unit.

Reactions: trufleshufle13

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
The Oilers have McDavid. They were going to be competitive this year regardless as long as he was healthy.

Competitive yes... Maybe borderline WC like the Leafs.

The improvement in goaltending and defense has pushed the Oilers into contending for the division. Last year I was worried about being hemmed in our own zone and scored on... This year no. The entire top 4 can move it effectively out of the zone. Gryba and others last season would just ring it around the boards giving the puck away.

Oilers are a big beefy team and honestly not fast as the media thinks.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
nashville as a team isnt doing well but johansen is still playing like a very good 60 pts C

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
nashville as a team isnt doing well but johansen is still playing like a very good 60 pts C

They were hioping for more though. Not sure he's playing like a true # C. Poile did call him that when he made the trade.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
larrson hasnt been a huge part of edm's turnaround...hes helped for sure, imo hes their 4th D right now

still hall was way too much to give up

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
oh, so McDavid is the reason we went from 26th in GA in 2015-16 to 7th this year?

And Oilers shots against per game dropped too so they are no longer bottom 5 in the league. It's all lines contributing to that.

And does McDavid hit? Oilers should be top 5 or 10 now in the league. We are a physical team.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
larrson hasnt been a huge part of edm's turnaround...hes helped for sure, imo hes their 4th D right now

Larsson is one of the league leaders in hits.

You're out of your mind if team physicality hasn't been a HUGE part of the Oilers improvement. They're no longer easy to play against.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB

He's our 1D imo. Sekera and him are close, but I personally prefer Larsson, many others prefer Sekera. But Klefbom has been decent offensively and decent defensively, but not outstanding in either area. After a hot start, Russell is back to normal - as a good 4D. Benning, Davidson, and Nurse haven't faced top competition.

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
Toronto has too many forwards, and are weak on D. Nylander for Montour would be an extremely smart move, Leaf fans will never accept that though so no point arguing.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
It's really tough because EDM needed a quality defenseman badly. They also had an abundance of skill forwards, like Hall, and decided it was worth it to part ways for the upgrade in defense.

I do think a trade like this changes the market because a team willing to trade a good defenseman for a quality winger can now point to that trade. It may not "set" the market but it is definitely a legitimate comparison. Similar to when a player signs a big deal, comparable players now will push for something close to that deal.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida

Healthy Klefbom, adding Kris Russell and Larsson are huge factors in the turnaround. Nurse improving and the emergence of Matt Benning took the D from laughable to competitive.

Gyrba sits in the pressbox now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad