Why did the Blackhawks trade Panarin?

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
Panarin didn’t have the sandpaper of Saad for Q.....who he is scratching. Which Infind funny.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Except last year this team was not a playoff team so they missed nothing. Panarin doesn’t push last years team into the playoff or make them a contender.

So completely ignore this year and just talk about last year? Also if Panarin was there last year the team might have had a chance at the playoffs, 30 extra goals can take you a long way, heck even if not playoffs the team might have been exciting to watch instead of that snooze fest. Anyway, that’s that is all debatable but we should be focusing on now. One year is one year and we all remember 2014 was a huge missed opportunity and that was just one year. Also you didn’t address what happens to Saad’s contract when you wanna sign Panarin, you still have a guy that is not performing and other guys to sign that could walk if not given the right amount.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
So completely ignore this year and just talk about last year? Also if Panarin was there last year the team might have had a chance at the playoffs, 30 extra goals can take you a long way, heck even if not playoffs the team might have been exciting to watch instead of that snooze fest. Anyway, that’s that is all debatable but we should be focusing on now. One year is one year and we all remember 2014 was a huge missed opportunity and that was just one year. Also you didn’t address what happens to Saad’s contract when you wanna sign Panarin, you still have a guy that is not performing and other guys to sign that could walk if not given the right amount.
The defense was the issue last year ... especially with Crow out. Panarin wasn't leading the Hawks to the playoffs. While Panarin would certainly help this year, the team's fortunes hang with the health of Forsling, Murphy, and Crow.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Money.

Hawks brass believed they couldn't afford to re-sign Panarin who is due for $9+M beginning next season.
Saad was already signed for a longer term at a decent rate but just hasn't been scoring as much as he used to.

Reactions: BobbyJet

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

I am not completely ignoring it but remember we are 6 games in. 6 games. Based on the current sample I don't think this team would compete for a cup with Panarin. This could change if Murphy, Forsling, and Crow comeback strong. Next season is when the window should reopen if it does.

30 extra goals? The difference was 11 goals between Saad and Panarin.

With the additional 11 goals last season the Hawks would not have been a playoff team and 11 goals this season will not make us a playoff team. Even if you think the total difference between the two in total productions is 20-25 goals that still does not change the result enough.

I agree we should focus on the now but I still think we are a season away as that is when Boqvist and Mitchell should hit plus the cap room we have opening up. I would not go for it this season.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
I am not completely ignoring it but remember we are 6 games in. 6 games. Based on the current sample I don't think this team would compete for a cup with Panarin. This could change if Murphy, Forsling, and Crow comeback strong. Next season is when the window should reopen if it does.

30 extra goals? The difference was 11 goals between Saad and Panarin.

With the additional 11 goals last season the Hawks would not have been a playoff team and 11 goals this season will not make us a playoff team. Even if you think the total difference between the two in total productions is 20-25 goals that still does not change the result enough.

I agree we should focus on the now but I still think we are a season away as that is when Boqvist and Mitchell should hit plus the cap room we have opening up. I would not go for it this season.

Dude you don’t count the goal differential one one one, you have to put into account the play making abilities, Panarin had 50+ more points meaning that Panarin would have helped his teammates pot in more goals and 50 more points would translate to up to 50 more goals which is why I am saying around 30 more goals to be fair and generous as not each assist translates into a goal. I sill don’t understand what you are trying to say though, are you trying to argue that we are better off with that trade done or that this move didn’t hurt the team at all?

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
This is a bad trade however you spin it.

The argument of us not being able to re-sign him due to contract demands, we would have traded him then for a BETTER haul in 2018-19 then Saad and Forsberg.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Dude you don’t count the goal differential one one one, you have to put into account the play making abilities, Panarin had 50+ more points meaning that Panarin would have helped his teammates pot in more goals and 50 more points would translate to up to 50 more goals which is why I am saying around 30 more goals to be fair and generous as not each assist translates into a goal. I sill don’t understand what you are trying to say though, are you trying to argue that we are better off with that trade done or that this move didn’t hurt the team at all?

Obviously but your claim of 30 plus goals is not accurate either. Hence why I put it at 20-25, did you miss that?

I am saying that your claim that last season was wasted is inaccurate because AP doesn’t get the Hawks into the playoffs and the Hawks are not contenders with him this season.

I am clearly not arguing either thing. I am simply stating that your “wasted seasons” comment is not accurate due to all of the other issues.

The trade has obviously turned out to be a bad one so far.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Obviously but your claim of 30 plus goals is not accurate either. Hence why I put it at 20-25, did you miss that?

I am saying that your claim that last season was wasted is inaccurate because AP doesn’t get the Hawks into the playoffs and the Hawks are not contenders with him this season.

I am clearly not arguing either thing. I am simply stating that your “wasted seasons” comment is not accurate due to all of the other issues.

The trade has obviously turned out to be a bad one so far.

Listen I guess we have some disagreements I think 30 goals you think 20-25, I think the Hawks might have had a chance at the playoffs(last place) you think not, my real issue is not last season, it’s really this season and even moving forward as we are stuck with Saad’s contract and also it’s not guranteed that we get Panarin especially with the way he was treated signed and traded. I would have been happy with him here but it is what it is. Bottom line is and I guess we both agree that it was a bad trade.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Listen I guess we have some disagreements I think 30 goals you think 20-25, I think the Hawks might have had a chance at the playoffs(last place) you think not, my real issue is not last season, it’s really this season and even moving forward as we are stuck with Saad’s contract and also it’s not guranteed that we get Panarin especially with the way he was treated signed and traded. I would have been happy with him here but it is what it is. Bottom line is and I guess we both agree that it was a bad trade.

Yeah. We agree in the general concept. Saad must figure his shit out.

Personally I don't think he was treated poorly and he has said he understands the business. He is still friends with a lot of the guys on the team and Chicago is a the market type he desires. We will see what he does but I would love for he or Stone to sign with the Hawks (I think Stone would be cheaper and a better option for this team).

Reactions: ChiHawks10

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Cap space.

Still doesn't explain why we went for Saad when Panarin could've netted a far greater return.
SB was trying to recreate the magical team that got us the SC ......

he needed to move on and rebuild or tweak on the fly ...... which i have been saying for yrs he has shown that he can't

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

he needed to move on and rebuild or tweak on the fly ...... which i have been saying for yrs he has shown that he can't

And you've been wrong about it for years, then.

He did this in 2012 leading to the 2013 Cup. He did this in 2014 leading to the 2015 Cup. Just stop with this nonsense. It makes you look foolish, considering he's done exactly that twice in his tenure as GM.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
And you've been wrong about it for years, then.

He did this in 2012 leading to the 2013 Cup. He did this in 2014 leading to the 2015 Cup. Just stop with this nonsense. It makes you look foolish, considering he's done exactly that twice in his tenure as GM.
this was done during the SC era and not recently....... i have been on in my disdain for SB ...... and my arguments on this subject is coming to fruition

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
this was done during the SC era and not recently....... i have been on in my disdain for SB ...... and my arguments on this subject is coming to fruition

They're not, actually. But you said he "can't rebuild or retool on the fly." Which is 100% inaccurate, because he has done it before. Multiple times.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Why does that matter? You literally said he can't do it. But he has done it twice. So you're wrong.
and look at my past post.... he got players to help in the SC run. but not recently.... i am not living in the past and looking at past glories.

i am of the mind set and i have mention this several times....

i am of the "what have you done for me lately"

ps.... gots to go will come back later.

Reactions: Blackhawks

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012

He did exactly that the last 2 offseasons. Its been a move on to build back from within. That's literally been obvious since its the message of the Hammer/Panarin moves

Stan was trying to "recreate" the team winning 1 season in 15-16... that's it.

The view that somehow never viewed the Saad deal as part retooling when cap security and long term stability where the teams stated up front. That is clear retool/rebuild talk. Its yeah we will be worse than we could be the next year or two in hope it pays off more stable after that.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
He did exactly that the last 2 offseasons. Its been a move on to build back from within. That's literally been obvious since its the message of the Hammer/Panarin moves

Stan was trying to "recreate" the team winning 1 season in 15-16... that's it.

The view that somehow never viewed the Saad deal as part retooling when cap security and long term stability where the teams stated up front. That is clear retool/rebuild talk. Its yeah we will be worse than we could be the next year or two in hope it pays off more stable after that.
retooling, rebuilding ..... yeah i get those different word mixed up.... i mean as i look at this team now, i can say a retool is possible for a fix.... however some may have a different definition is needed. i can't find fault on their pov....... but i feel comfortable with the d-crew we now have.

got to see how the players we have now have that the org is depending on to step up.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
@LDF the only reason it was the “SC era” is because Bowman was able to retool on the fly, not the other way around. Yes he had a good core but as we’ve seen its not easy to rotate a supporting cast around a good core. He was able to do it multiple times.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
@LDF the only reason it was the “SC era” is because Bowman was able to retool on the fly, not the other way around. Yes he had a good core but as we’ve seen its not easy to rotate a supporting cast around a good core. He was able to do it multiple times.

good answer, but the biggest problem is and this was mention last yr from me, SB not seeing the need to continue to retool...... i say this b/c of players/league contract will be discuss in the coming months. 2nd, he, SB did not see the age of the players affecting the performance of the players.

if i saw it, he should have seen it as well.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
I remember the trade a little different:

Panarin disappeared in the Nashville sweep and many pointed out our "Stars" did not show up for that series.
Hossa announced his skin issues that week
Panarin was traded for Saad as Saad was expected to be "little Hossa"
Also bringing back Saad was to get Toews going again.
Stan also talked about cap certainty.

Am I missing anything? Very few complained about the trade, as there seemed to be a big discussion would Panarin continue to be as good without Kane.

I surely don't remember many people complaining about this trade. As Saad has continued to struggle, revisionist history may have changed the outcome of the trade. I am not calling anyone out as a few may have said this was a bad trade, but as I recall most understood it and thought the rational was acceptable.

While this is true, Bowman is judged on the results of the trade NOT the logic of his thinking when he made the trade. Same thing with the Seabrook deal. I understand it wasn't a huge raise and they were coming off a cup and they didn't have any D prospects BUT the deal is looking like the worst contract in the league. At the end of the day, Bowman traded a superstar for a 40-pt (maybe) player and signed a 3rd pairing dman to the worst contract in the NHL. In a hard cap league you can't make those mistakes.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
While this is true, Bowman is judged on the results of the trade NOT the logic of his thinking when he made the trade. Same thing with the Seabrook deal. I understand it wasn't a huge raise and they were coming off a cup and they didn't have any D prospects BUT the deal is looking like the worst contract in the league. At the end of the day, Bowman traded a superstar for a 40-pt (maybe) player and signed a 3rd pairing dman to the worst contract in the NHL. In a hard cap league you can't make those mistakes.

:laugh:

Quite a bit of hyperbole there...

First off, he's a middle pairing D, especially the way he has played so far this season. Second, he's not on the worst contract in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad