Why did the Blackhawks trade Panarin?

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Everyone loved Panarin so your statement makes no sense. This is not about "love", this is about simple hockey knowledge, a lot of people in here liked the trade, a lot were neutral and only a few didnt like the trade. Go to the trade thread and go down a few pages and you can see all the excited people and how everyone was an expert on the subject explaining why the trade happened and how it's "good for both teams" "reviving Toews" "better D play" "Panarin sucked in playoffs" bla bla bla

This is accurate.

Reactions: Blackhawks

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
:laugh:

Quite a bit of hyperbole there...

First off, he's a middle pairing D, especially the way he has played so far this season. Second, he's not on the worst contract in the league.
exactly, and he might not even be the worst contract on his team lol...see Saad right now.

Montreal has 2 contracts alone that are far worse than his, there are plenty of bad contracts out there, Seabs right now isn't even in the top 10 of bad contracts if he continues to play like a #3...

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
exactly, and he might not even be the worst contract on his team lol...see Saad right now.

Montreal has 2 contracts alone that are far worse than his, there are plenty of bad contracts out there, Seabs right now isn't even in the top 10 of bad contracts if he continues to play like a #3...

Lucic has a better contract than him, too. :sarcasm: :laugh:

So does Corey Perry on that 8.6m through 2021 deal...

So does Brouwer and his 4.5m...

So does Ladd and his 6m...

Or Abdelkader and his 4.25m over the next 5 years?

Or Parise, who has 7.5m over the next 7?

Or Bobby Ryan and his 7.25m over the next 4 years?

Yeah, Seabs definitely has the worst contract in the league. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Lucic has a better contract than him, too. :sarcasm: :laugh:

So does Corey Perry on that 8.6m through 2021 deal...

So does Brouwer and his 4.5m...

So does Ladd and his 6m...

Or Abdelkader and his 4.25m over the next 5 years?

Or Parise, who has 7.5m over the next 7?

Or Bobby Ryan and his 7.25m over the next 4 years?

The problem being that those teams can absorb an ill-fated, inflated contract better than Chicago who is already paying $ 21 M for its two top forwards.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
The problem being that those teams can absorb an ill-fated, inflated contract better than Chicago who is paying $ 21 M for their two top forwards.

The Hawks aren't in cap hell in any way, though. They're going to have something like $21m in cap space going into next season... If Seabs continues his current play, his contract is about 1-1.5m over what it should be for a solid middle-pairing defender.

And not all those teams are in cap shape to absorb those garbage contracts, either, especially considering a couple expect to be contenders. 6m in wasted cap space on an expected contender = not good. That's the difference in a Cup or not, IMO.

Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
The problem being that those teams can absorb an ill-fated, inflated contract better than Chicago who is already paying $ 21 M for its two top forwards.
absorbing a bad contract better than another team doesn't absolve it either. Edmonton should be in a position to be contending for a championship with the two horses they have up front, but their GM is so inept and incompetent, I would hate to see some of our Stanley haters as Edmonton fans and what they would be doing now.

Montreal can absorb those contracts after dumping many of their other contracts looking to rebuild..

Minnesota cannot absorb that Parise contract for 7 years and contend...that contract is bad...

What those names show is that there are a lot of contracts out there that are bad, some teams can work around those easier than other teams, but that still doesn't make those contracts and less worse off than Seabs because of that.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
The Hawks aren't in cap hell in any way, though. They're going to have something like $21m in cap space going into next season... If Seabs continues his current play, his contract is about 1-1.5m over what it should be for a solid middle-pairing defender.

And not all those teams are in cap shape to absorb those garbage contracts, either, especially considering a couple expect to be contenders. 6m in wasted cap space on an expected contender = not good. That's the difference in a Cup or not, IMO.
Yeah, Hawks aren't in cap hell any longer (relatively speaking) but at what cost? How many players were let go because they were no longer affordable? Hawks are now somewhere between a bubble team and a lottery team with a defensive corps that is among the worst in the league.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Yeah, Hawks aren't in cap hell any longer (relatively speaking) but at what cost? How many players were let go because they were no longer affordable? Hawks are now somewhere between a bubble team and a lottery team with a defensive corps that is among the worst in the league.

And that will all turn around in the next couple years, no? At the cost that every other team has to feel. It's the whole point of the cap. So one team can't just spend money and dominate for decades at a time like the old days.

They have the cap space to sign a difference-making forward FA next year(like Panarin), they'll have some phenomenal D coming up over the next season or two, and they have some young talent that should be starting to make a serious dent in the league this season in Schmaltz, Cat, Kahun, etc. With a resurgence of Toews and Kane being Kane, well the future doesn't look so grim, does it?

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
And that will all turn around in the next couple years, no? At the cost that every other team has to feel. It's the whole point of the cap. So one team can't just spend money and dominate for decades at a time like the old days.

They have the cap space to sign a difference-making forward FA next year(like Panarin), they'll have some phenomenal D coming up over the next season or two, and they have some young talent that should be starting to make a serious dent in the league this season in Schmaltz, Cat, Kahun, etc. With a resurgence of Toews and Kane being Kane, well the future doesn't look so grim, does it?

Theortically. I just hate to see the team on the sidelines with Kane and Toews in their prime years and Keith/Seabs/CC on the downside. Would things be different today if K/T had signed for a more reasonable amount, say $9 M?

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Theortically. I just hate to see the team on the sidelines with Kane and Toews in their prime years and Keith/Seabs/CC on the downside. Would things be different today if K/T had signed for a more reasonable amount, say $9 M?

You're not getting either of them to sign deals that low, though. Not after what they did from 2010-2015. It just wasn't happening. Especially not Kane, who was basically a top 3 player in the NHL at the time, and is still a top 10 player in the NHL, IMO.

And how much different would things be? So it's 3m extra? What does that buy you? A decent backup goalie? A bottom 6 forward? A bottom pairing D? The difference in the team is negligible.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
3M is a lot of money, 3M was the reason why this team lost TT.

That's true. But that was also what, 5-6 years ago? Prior to the cap going up the way it has? 3m doesn't buy you as much these days. It's not small potatoes, but it's also not a difference-making player, IMO. Your middle 6 players and average top 6 players are making anywhere from 4-7m, I would say. Most backup goalies are in the 2.5-3.5m range. As are most bottom-pairing defenders. So the improvement is pretty minuscule.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
You're not getting either of them to sign deals that low, though. Not after what they did from 2010-2015. It just wasn't happening. Especially not Kane, who was basically a top 3 player in the NHL at the time, and is still a top 10 player in the NHL, IMO.

And how much different would things be? So it's 3m extra? What does that buy you? A decent backup goalie? A bottom 6 forward? A bottom pairing D? The difference in the team is negligible.

Over the years, that $ 3 M annually opens up the possibility of making players like Sharp/Stalberg/Shaw/TT/Hammer/Panarin affordable.... who were otherwise not (it seems in Stan's view).

Reactions: Blackhawks

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
That's true. But that was also what, 5-6 years ago? Prior to the cap going up the way it has? 3m doesn't buy you as much these days. It's not small potatoes, but it's also not a difference-making player, IMO. Your middle 6 players and average top 6 players are making anywhere from 4-7m, I would say. Most backup goalies are in the 2.5-3.5m range. As are most bottom-pairing defenders. So the improvement is pretty minuscule.
no offense, but that 3 million will be added with extra salary to help out.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)

Quite a bit of hyperbole there...

First off, he's a middle pairing D, especially the way he has played so far this season. Second, he's not on the worst contract in the league.

Maybe it is hyperbole to fanboys that don't want to be honest about their team. :laugh: Name a worse contract. Lucic? Kesler? Those are both bad too. At least with Kesler you can buy him out. So come up with a couple you think are worse to show how much hyperbole my statement was.

By the way, the Hawks don't have a 2nd pairing. They have a mediocre to below-average top pairing and two 3rd line pairings.

Last edited:

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Maybe it is hyperbole to fanboys that don't want to be honest about their team. :laugh: Name a worse contract. Lucic? Kesler? Those are both bad too. At least with Kesler you can buy him out. So come up with a couple you think are worse to show how much hyperbole my statement was.

By the way, the Hawks don't have a 2nd pairing. They have a mediocre to below-average top pairing and two 3rd line pairings.

Thanks for the laugh this early. Great way to start my Friday.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
And yet you can't/won't refute what I wrote. Gotcha.

Done plenty of refuting that if you read any of the posts for like the entire next page after that one where me and @AmericanDream discussed it. Both Seabs and worse contracts were talked about plenty. Listed at least 5 or 6 contracts worse, and I could easily grab some more. Reading. It's gud.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
this is not directed to anyone.

but who cares about other teams and their 1 or 2 players who has bad contracts. it really have no reflection on the Bhawks problems. i could care less about other teams. my only concern is the Blawks.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
this is not directed to anyone.

but who cares about other teams and their 1 or 2 players who has bad contracts. it really have no reflection on the Bhawks problems. i could care less about other teams. my only concern is the Blawks.

They’re simply saying Seabrook’s isn’t the worst in the league.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad