Why did the Blackhawks trade Panarin?

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Done plenty of refuting that if you read any of the posts for like the entire next page after that one where me and @AmericanDream discussed it. Both Seabs and worse contracts were talked about plenty. Listed at least 5 or 6 contracts worse, and I could easily grab some more. Reading. It's gud.

The old argument that because other teams have screwed up on contracts it somehow is okay that Stan screwed the pooch (with one of the worst contracts in the entire league). The excuses from some folks for the Blackhawks mismanagement and dysfunction throughout shows no bounds.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
I hope somehow Panarin can be brought back.

Two lines once again and Kane deserves a break

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
The old argument that because other teams have screwed up on contracts it somehow is okay that Stan screwed the pooch (with one of the worst contracts in the entire league). The excuses from some folks for the Blackhawks mismanagement and dysfunction throughout knows no bounds.

FFY.

That's not the argument I'm posing. But mistakes happen for every GM. It's part of the business considering you're dealing with humans, and not robots, or mindless objects. It's just the way of the world in professional sports. Injuries happen. Or guys get messed up mentally. Or guys lose their confidence. Or guys age, and just lose a step, or their hands, or whatever else. Again, these are people. And these things are a direct result of the human element involved in professional sports... It will never go away. There will always be bad contracts in sports, because humans aren't perfect. Simple as that.

As for what I've been arguing... it's that his contract is NOT the worst in the league. There are worse ones out there, especially based upon Seabs play this season to this point.

The excuses for some folks for not reading things correctly knows no bounds, eh?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
/\ Right. So a backhanded way of saying Stan is fine as a GM. And that's where we disagree.
that's not what he is saying Bobby. you have defended Seabs like myself the past year plus, now you think his contract is one of the worst in hockey?? how is some of us bringing up many other names with worse contracts not saying Seabs contract is still bad? we agree it isn't good, but he has stepped up this year and hopefully can play like this for 2-3 more years which would make his contract more palatable. It is still bad, nobody here is arguing that, but it isn't the worst in the league or bottom 10...

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
Lucic has a better contract than him, too. :sarcasm: :laugh:

So does Corey Perry on that 8.6m through 2021 deal...

So does Brouwer and his 4.5m...

So does Ladd and his 6m...

Or Abdelkader and his 4.25m over the next 5 years?

Or Parise, who has 7.5m over the next 7?

Or Bobby Ryan and his 7.25m over the next 4 years?

Yeah, Seabs definitely has the worst contract in the league. :sarcasm:

I only read your quote of mine. I can't read this forum at work so I am not following it through the day.

There is only 1 definitive worse contract than Seabrook that I overlooked and that is Parise. I forgot he signed a 12-year deal and that he has that many years left. So I will amend my statement to Seabrook has the 2nd-worse contract in the league. Let's look at the others.

Corey Perry- 2 more years of Perry or 5 more of Seabrook? Perry
Brouwer- has a 895k caphit according to CapFriendly. ?
Abdelkader- 4 more years plus it is 2.6 M less and you can buy it out in the last year. Easily Abdekader.
Ryan- 3 more years or 5 of Seabrook? Ryan
Kesler- 3 more years plus he's still good when healthy and you obviously have LTIR. Kesler
Ladd- definitely a bad contract but 4 years versus 5 for Seabrook. Plus it is 5.5 vs 6.8. Ladd
Lucic- bad also but 4 more years. 6 vs 6.8 Lucic
Price- this might turn out to be worse than Seabrook but Price appears to be back in form. Lundqvist is still above average at 36 so maybe Price only has a couple bad years at the end. Price

Make no mistake, these are all bad contracts but only Parise's is worse than Seabrook. Let's not forget that Seabrook's contract offers very little buy-out options. Because it is lockout protected with signing bonuses, a buy-out gives very little cap relief. Unless he retires, Seabrook is playing 5 more years after this season with a cap hit of 6.8 M.

American Dream also mentioned Saad. Saad is 2 years without a NTC till the last year and then there is a clause of him submitting a list of 10 teams he could be traded to. Plus, there are no signing bonuses so he is a buy-out candidate if you wanted to go that route.

After looking at this closer, I rank the worst contracts as 1) Parise 2) Seabrook 3) Ladd 4) Lucic 5) Ryan.

American Dream said continuing to play like a #3. How are you arriving at that conclusion? The metrics show his possession numbers are worse than last year so far to start the year. If Seabrook is your #3 dman, you have a bad defense.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I only read your quote of mine. I can't read this forum at work so I am not following it through the day.

There is only 1 definitive worse contract than Seabrook that I overlooked and that is Parise. I forgot he signed a 12-year deal and that he has that many years left. So I will amend my statement to Seabrook has the 2nd-worse contract in the league. Let's look at the others.

Corey Perry- 2 more years of Perry or 5 more of Seabrook? Perry
Brouwer- has a 895k caphit according to CapFriendly. ?
Abdelkader- 4 more years plus it is 2.6 M less and you can buy it out in the last year. Easily Abdekader.
Ryan- 3 more years or 5 of Seabrook? Ryan
Kesler- 3 more years plus he's still good when healthy and you obviously have LTIR. Kesler
Ladd- definitely a bad contract but 4 years versus 5 for Seabrook. Plus it is 5.5 vs 6.8. Ladd
Lucic- bad also but 4 more years. 6 vs 6.8 Lucic
Price- this might turn out to be worse than Seabrook but Price appears to be back in form. Lundqvist is still above average at 36 so maybe Price only has a couple bad years at the end. Price

Make no mistake, these are all bad contracts but only Parise's is worse than Seabrook. Let's not forget that Seabrook's contract offers very little buy-out options. Because it is lockout protected with signing bonuses, a buy-out gives very little cap relief. Unless he retires, Seabrook is playing 5 more years after this season with a cap hit of 6.8 M.

American Dream also mentioned Saad. Saad is 2 years without a NTC till the last year and then there is a clause of him submitting a list of 10 teams he could be traded to. Plus, there are no signing bonuses so he is a buy-out candidate if you wanted to go that route.

After looking at this closer, I rank the worst contracts as 1) Parise 2) Seabrook 3) Ladd 4) Lucic 5) Ryan.

American Dream said continuing to play like a #3. How are you arriving at that conclusion? The metrics show his possession numbers are worse than last year so far to start the year. If Seabrook is your #3 dman, you have a bad defense.
why are you saying that all the contracts a year or two shorter than Seabs are better contracts?? That makes no f***ing sense when the players are hot garbage. If Seabrook keeps this up and is more than serviceable, he is better than almost every name listed here, regardless of years left. Ryan is horrible on ice offers nothing. Perry and Lucic are pylons now just declining and declining..Ladd?? lol...no comment..Parise is bad...Weber is brutal..Price is brutal..you can dig and find many more bad contracts out there and Seabs belongs in there too, he just isnt in the bottom 10.

Saad of course is a far worse contract if he can't be a top 12 forward for f*** sake...the guy is making $6mil and can't crack the top 9 right now..that is brutal for what he is being paid. Seabs is playing top 4 with minutes of top pairing as well...also gets power play time out there too, he at least contributes where as a $6 mil Saad is not..

As for Seabrook being a #3, yes he is because I watch the games...if you cannot see his improvement this season then you simply are not watching the games. He isn't 2014/15 level but he has rebounded nicely out there and is being utilized better as well. He also is playing without what would be his partner in either Forsling or Murphy..Seabs has played well with both, once they come back they will only help out so Seabs doesn't get paired with f***ing Manning anymore...

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
why are you saying that all the contracts a year or two shorter than Seabs are better contracts?? That makes no ****ing sense when the players are hot garbage. If Seabrook keeps this up and is more than serviceable, he is better than almost every name listed here, regardless of years left. Ryan is horrible on ice offers nothing. Perry and Lucic are pylons now just declining and declining..Ladd?? lol...no comment..Parise is bad...Weber is brutal..Price is brutal..you can dig and find many more bad contracts out there and Seabs belongs in there too, he just isnt in the bottom 10.

Saad of course is a far worse contract if he can't be a top 12 forward for **** sake...the guy is making $6mil and can't crack the top 9 right now..that is brutal for what he is being paid. Seabs is playing top 4 with minutes of top pairing as well...also gets power play time out there too, he at least contributes where as a $6 mil Saad is not..

As for Seabrook being a #3, yes he is because I watch the games...if you cannot see his improvement this season then you simply are not watching the games. He isn't 2014/15 level but he has rebounded nicely out there and is being utilized better as well. He also is playing without what would be his partner in either Forsling or Murphy..Seabs has played well with both, once they come back they will only help out so Seabs doesn't get paired with ****ing Manning anymore...

Maybe you need help understanding that a 5-year albatross contract is worse than a 3 or 4-year albatross contract. This isn't rocket science.

Yes, I watch the games too. If you think Seabrook is anything but a 3rd pairing dman on a good team then I have to question your hockey IQ. Can you quantify your views with stats? According to Corsica hockey his relative corsi is a negative. And I don't care if he gets PP time. He is not good at it. Keith was on the PP1 for a long time and he was not good at it. LOL- your assessment of Seabrook is awful.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Maybe you need help understanding that a 5-year albatross contract is worse than a 3 or 4-year albatross contract. This isn't rocket science.

Yes, I watch the games too. If you think Seabrook is anything but a 3rd pairing dman on a good team then I have to question your hockey IQ. Can you quantify your views with stats? According to Corsica hockey his relative corsi is a negative. And I don't care if he gets PP time. He is not good at it. Keith was on the PP1 for a long time and he was not good at it. LOL- your assessment of Seabrook is awful.

Seabs is absolutely fine on the PP. He is the only Dman who gets howitzers on the net from the point and often with one-timers. As bad as the PP is, Seabs is the least of the problems playing there. Keith, now that's another matter.

I wouldn't mind Seabs, Gus, Joker and Forsling, when he returns, as the 4 guys rotating on the PP. It also serves to keep the minutes of Duncs down - keep Keith nice and fresh for the PK and ES.

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
No excuse it was a premature trade.. Need to be real careful when trading a guy of panarin skill

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad