Why did the Blackhawks trade Panarin?

SpunZ

Oct 13, 2018
I created this account to ask this question, was it a salary cap issue? Could he have been bad in the locker room?

Like has anyone else been watching Saad's play? Had a decent playoff run, but missing open nets and break
away's this season.

All in good fun and hockey talk.

Cheers!

Reactions: LDF

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I created this account to ask this question, was it a salary cap issue? Could he have been bad in the locker room?

Like has anyone else been watching Saad's play? Had a decent playoff run, but missing open nets and break
away's this season.

All in good fun and hockey talk.

Cheers!
I said Saad couldn't get lucky in a brothel with a hundo....boy was I off on my evaluation of brothels!!

it was a stupid trade, our GM thought we were getting Saad from 3 years ago, and simply that is not the case....shame on us.

Last edited:

migi

Feb 25, 2015
His even strength points were close to the same, he was better defensively, and he was signed for twice as long.

The deal made sense when it happened. Just unfortunate that Panarin got better and Saad got a lot worse.

This.

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
Really bad trade in hindsight but it seemed good at the time. Unfortunate

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
His even strength points were close to the same, he was better defensively, and he was signed for twice as long.

The deal made sense when it happened. Just unfortunate that Panarin got better and Saad got a lot worse.

As well, and importantly, Saad had shown signs of raising his game in the play-offs. Unfortunately Stan and Hawks fans will need to wait another season (hopefully not longer) before that can be assessed.

SpunZ

Oct 13, 2018
DeBrincat is our young gun for sure, I want the hawks to win it all however.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I said Saad couldn't get lucky in a brothel with a hundo....boy was I off on my evaluation of brothels!!

it was a stupid trade, our GM thought we were getting Saad from 3 years ago, and simply that is not the case....shame on us.
this is the real reason plus the cap issue going forward.

i would like to further add that the Bhawks thought his value was higher with 2 plus yrs before his FA's .

for me, Pan never knew what the word of defense

Reactions: AmericanDream

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
this is the real reason plus the cap issue going forward.

i would like to further add that the Bhawks thought his value was higher with 2 plus yrs before his FA's .

for me, Pan never knew what the word of defense

The defense thing was more of a systemic thing where Q let’s the Kane line get away with lazy D. Panarin seemed fine on D with Columbus

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Apparently...

1. To get Toews going
2. Saad is locked up for more years then Panarin
3. Change needed to happen after two first round exits
4. To off-set the loss of Marian Hossa, and adding a 'two-way' F in the top 6. (Saad was known as mini-Hossa)
5. Familiar face, Toews and Kane 'missed him'

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Apparently...

1. To get Toews going
4. To off-set the loss of Marian Hossa, and adding a 'two-way' F in the top 6. (Saad was known as mini-Hossa)

And none of those things worked out, unfortunately for us.

kuzy

Mar 31, 2012
St. Charles, IL
Apparently...

1. To get Toews going

Come to think of it nearly everything on that list blew up in our face :laugh:
giphy.gif

Here's to hoping he gets it going this year!

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Come to think of it nearly everything on that list blew up in our face :laugh:
giphy.gif

Here's to hoping he gets it going this year!

I don’t have much faith in that happening, but I’m happy Toews finally has a legit winger again in DeBrincat.

That makes the Saad failure sting a little less.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
trading Saad and Rutta to the Pens for Maatta and Sprong will hurt even even less!
Sprong is probably better then Saad already lol.

But due to the 'Pittsburgh' bias, and Saad track record.. if this deal was done.

Debrincat - Toews - Kahun
Sprong - Schmaltz - Kane
Fortin/Sikura - Anisimov - Hayden
Kunitz - Kruger - Kampf

Keith - Jokiharju
Maatta - Murphy
Forsling - Seabrook
Gustafsson

^ Would be very happy with this blue line.

Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Sprong is probably better then Saad already lol.

But due to the 'Pittsburgh' bias, and Saad track record.. if this deal was done.

Debrincat - Toews - Kahun
Sprong - Schmaltz - Kane
Fortin/Sikura - Anisimov - Hayden
Kunitz - Kruger - Kampf

Keith - Jokiharju
Maatta - Murphy
Forsling - Seabrook
Gustafsson

^ Would be very happy with this blue line.
thats the same lineup we came up with on the trade board...this trade works for both teams and Peguin fans would do it too...Sprong can't get out of the 4th line there, he comes here and you put his ass with Kane and see what happens...

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
thats the same lineup we came up with on the trade board...this trade works for both teams and Peguin fans would do it too...Sprong can't get out of the 4th line there, he comes here and you put his ass with Kane and see what happens...
Looks like his a RH shot too (thought he was left) - would work well with Kane on his off wing.
Kid has produced at an elite level in every league, no doubt he becomes a 55-60pt guy in the NHL imo.

kuzy

Mar 31, 2012
St. Charles, IL
trading Saad and Rutta to the Pens for Maatta and Sprong will hurt even even less!

...or trade Anisimov and Murphy at the deadline, let Kunitz/Kruger/Rutta walk, and sign Panarin this summer. Maybe he'll even take a discount to play with Kane again. That would hurt the least :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->