Why did the Blackhawks trade Panarin?

Crow

May 19, 2014
I’d never trade for maata. Maybe I’m biased but I feel like the guy can’t be relied upon to play a decent number of games.

Last edited:

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
In hindsight, this ...

content_adco1-blog427.jpg

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
If we're playing the "what if we didn't make the Panarin/Saad trade" game:

DeBrincat-Toews-Kahun
Panarin-Anisimov-Kane
Fortin-Schmaltz-Sikura
Kampf-Kruger-Hayden

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Congrats?

Most people who loved Panarin disliked the trade, you weren’t the only one to dislike it.

Everyone loved Panarin so your statement makes no sense. This is not about "love", this is about simple hockey knowledge, a lot of people in here liked the trade, a lot were neutral and only a few didnt like the trade. Go to the trade thread and go down a few pages and you can see all the excited people and how everyone was an expert on the subject explaining why the trade happened and how it's "good for both teams" "reviving Toews" "better D play" "Panarin sucked in playoffs" bla bla bla

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Everyone loved Panarin so your statement makes no sense. This is not about "love", this is about simple hockey knowledge, a lot of people in here liked the trade, a lot were neutral and only a few didnt like the trade. Go to the trade thread and go down a few pages and you can see all the excited people and how everyone was an expert on the subject explaining why the trade happened and how it's "good for both teams" "reviving Toews" "better D play" "Panarin sucked in playoffs" bla bla bla

My point was you weren’t the only person who disliked the trade when it happened, full stop.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
i know i have a real harsh outlook on players of today's nhl.

for me, they are all a commodity and i look at trades as a way to get better or get a bush full of draft picks. the caveat to this opinion is the state of the team at the moment.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Hawks got tired of losing in the playoffs and Stan figured Saad was going to fix that.

Now they do their losing in the regular season and don't even make the playoffs...

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
From what I remember from this board of the Saad for Panarin trade ... most posters were sad to see Panarin go, but understood the trade.

We needed more physical presence and hoped Saad would ignite Toews. We were also scared about losing Panarin in 2 years because of his salary demands. We also received Forsberg in return after Darling left.

No one knew Saad would struggle this much coming back. Let's hope we can re sign Panarin for $8.5mn / year.

Reactions: Bubba88

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
From what I remember from this board of the Saad for Panarin trade ... most posters were sad to see Panarin go, but understood the trade.

We needed more physical presence and hoped Saad would ignite Toews. We were also scared about losing Panarin in 2 years because of his salary demands. We also received Forsberg in return after Darling left.

No one knew Saad would struggle this much coming back. Let's hope we can re sign Panarin for $8.5mn / year.

Yeah that’s how I felt.

I also wasn’t entirely sure how good Panarin would be away from Kane and if he could carry a line on his own or drop to a 50-55 point player trying to carry a line.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

Got to be careful throwing out that kind of money. If DeBrincat continues his rise toward the elite tier of NHL players, he could be asking for that same amount in two years.

Panarin in addition to ~$6 million for Schmaltz could put the Hawks in a jam come resigning time for DeBrincat.

I’d choose either Schmaltz or Panarin for Kane, I don’t think we can afford both with the way DeBrincat is breaking out.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Debrincat probably signs a Larkin type deal, and Schmaltz below that.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Debrincat probably signs a Larkin type deal, and Schmaltz below that.

At this point, DeBrincat has probably already earned the Larkin deal. He still has almost two years to make a case for a deal larger than that.

Schmaltz probably doesn’t get much less than Larkin at this point.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
For a long time I was a Bowman defender but you're judged on the results. The Seabrook extension and the Panarin trade have been disasters which have taken this team from being a playoff participant to a lottery team. Couple those disastrous moves with the lack of improving the team this offseason and I am now leaning towards the replacing Stan Bowman viewpoint. I have always felt that the Hawks drafting was enough to keep Bowman at his job but I keep hearing that Mark Kelly is the man behind the drafts. If that is the case, Bowman has not done enough to keep his job. And while I criticize Q for the misuse of Daley and Kempny, it is also part of the GM's job to communicate and work with the head coach to acquire players that fit into the scheme of the team. Make no mistake, I put the majority of the blame on Q but Bowman is not completely innocent in those failures.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Got to be careful throwing out that kind of money. If DeBrincat continues his rise toward the elite tier of NHL players, he could be asking for that same amount in two years.

Panarin in addition to ~$6 million for Schmaltz could put the Hawks in a jam come resigning time for DeBrincat.

I’d choose either Schmaltz or Panarin for Kane, I don’t think we can afford both with the way DeBrincat is breaking out.
Fair point. Ugh ... that Seabrook contract makes me mad. I like Seabrook. I just hate his contract.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
For a long time I was a Bowman defender but you're judged on the results. The Seabrook extension and the Panarin trade have been disasters which have taken this team from being a playoff participant to a lottery team. Couple those disastrous moves with the lack of improving the team this offseason and I am now leaning towards the replacing Stan Bowman viewpoint. I have always felt that the Hawks drafting was enough to keep Bowman at his job but I keep hearing that Mark Kelly is the man behind the drafts. If that is the case, Bowman has not done enough to keep his job. And while I criticize Q for the misuse of Daley and Kempny, it is also part of the GM's job to communicate and work with the head coach to acquire players that fit into the scheme of the team. Make no mistake, I put the majority of the blame on Q but Bowman is not completely innocent in those failures.
The buck stops with Stan. He gets the blame for the trades / contract negotiations. He should also get the credit for the drafts and European FA signings. I'll give Stan a break if McDonough somehow got involved with the Seabrook negotiations. If true, that was out of his hands.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
The upside to the Panarin trade is that it indirectly resulted in us getting Boqvist. Other than that...well I'm just hoping we can salvage it somehow with an okay return from Saad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad