Why are we ****ty, Dad? Because we have to chase the entire Western Conference.

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
This isnt even close to a "this year" problem. Ive been saying none of what ails this team has been dubnyk since last year. This team is simply garbage, no if ands or buts. Last year they got good goaltending and were lucky in enough games to be respectable when they really werent. Now the bounces arent really going their way and the goaltending has been weaker...and here we are.

Doswell

Mar 1, 2007
Edmonton
And, after that *****-show, another twenty decent players add us to their "no trade" list. I sure as hell would.

I'm rapidly becoming convinced that the only thing capable or turning this around is not a management change, or a coaching change, or a roster shake-up.

But a change in ownership.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
Should already be unloading Hemsky (retaining 1.5M in salary), N Schultz (retaining 1M in salary) simply as a course of running a business. Spend $ to save $. It's clear there are no playoff revenues coming.

Geese_Howard*

Why didnt you guys hire burke? Worst of all he went to a rival.

McDavidMcCup

Jul 9, 2007
4hdir.jpg

kesleaf

Mar 3, 2011
Wow, I honestly don't know what is going on with this club. As a hockey fan, I was extremely excited to see the Oilers develop into something big with all those #1 picks you guys had...and all that talent up front.

And I also thought that adding Eakins would be huge for your young club because he was a great coach for the kids on our Toronto Marlies.

Can someone fill me in on what is going on with this club? I read an article a couple weeks ago about some possible drama between coach Eakins and Yakupov? Maybe you guys need some veteran presence up front, and definitely a better goalie.

Good luck to your club! Give Eakins the benefit of the doubt, he really is a great coach. He did so much for the young guys on Marlies that are now on the Leafs (Kadri, Gardiner, etc). He's great with young players.

The Joker*

Who was that clown that just said he's excited about the parade route? ****ing Leafs organization and fans are a joke. So are we.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Wow, I honestly don't know what is going on with this club. As a hockey fan, I was extremely excited to see the Oilers develop into something big with all those #1 picks you guys had...and all that talent up front.

And I also thought that adding Eakins would be huge for your young club because he was a great coach for the kids on our Toronto Marlies.

Can someone fill me in on what is going on with this club? I read an article a couple weeks ago about some possible drama between coach Eakins and Yakupov? Maybe you guys need some veteran presence up front, and definitely a better goalie.

Good luck to your club! Give Eakins the benefit of the doubt, he really is a great coach. He did so much for the young guys on Marlies that are now on the Leafs (Kadri, Gardiner, etc). He's great with young players.

I'm starting to not believe that. That's twice he's matched up our top line against the other team's top line and they went -4.

bobbyt911

Of the big 4, the two I keep are RNH + Yakupov/Hall. Really don't care which of Yak/Hall you keep though. If you can do Yak + Hemsky + N. Schultz for that Philly package (Simmonds, Schenn/Couturier, Coburn), Eberle + Smid for a Cowen + Smith + Conacher, and then a J. Schultz for a Matt Martin/Kyle Okposo, we look better. I know all this is very hypothetical, but at least we have players who give a ****.

Hall - RNH - Simmonds
Perron - Couturier - Gagner
Conacher - Gordon - Okposo/Martin
Gazdic - Smith - Pitlick/Smyth/Jones

Coburn - Petry
Cowen - Schultz
Belov - Ference

Dubnyk
Bachman

Team moves sideways on paper, should hopefully have some ****ing heart on the ice.

*Please note these are the wishes of an upset and frustrated Oilers fan who didn't really think too hard about value

I don't think they need that much. I say 4 things and 1 is costly the other 3 not so much. 1st off they need a goalie 1st and foremost.
2nd a 3rd liner who is all heart and a good role model for the kids
3rd a 3-4 D man who is nothing but a shut down guy.
4. I know most Oiler fans don't want to hear this but time. Most prospects get a cpl years to develop before the NHL but the Oiler big 3 had none.

oilman9482

Jun 21, 2010
Ontario
Ummm, it's about time for a bold move MacT... How about gagner, hemsky, and perhaps yakupov for some solid Defense and bigger bodies upfront to insulate RNH, Ebs, Hall?? Perron is the only skilled/tough player we have right now as a forward.

Thoughts?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Ummm, it's about time for a bold move MacT... How about gagner, hemsky, and perhaps yakupov for some solid Defense and bigger bodies upfront to insulate RNH, Ebs, Hall?? Perron is the only skilled/tough player we have right now as a forward.

Thoughts?

This season is done. Trade Hemsky, ask Eakins what the hell he's doing with the line match ups, and draft whoever in the top 10.

No point in trading any of the kids as we'll just get fleeced from a position of weakness.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Some friendly banter before the game started aside, I really think that the Oilers just need a little more time.

Sounds cliche but even top picks in the league cannot be counted upon to win games for you when they are just 21.

Just look at the growth of Kessel as an example. He was an immature, shy 21 year old kid who loved to score goals. As the seasons went by, he became a complete two way threat, then Ron Wilson was fired, Carlyle came in and he became a 200 ft player.

Players like RNH, Eberle, Hall etc will go through those same pains because they aren't Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin.

If I was the owner of the Oilers, I take out a broom and do a COMPLETE cleaning of the Oilers management. Nobody except McTavish (he can't be judged right now) and possibly Eakins should remain...give them a year and see how they do.

If they fail in 2015, it's time to head into a new direction with a new GM and a new coach (for the last time).

Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, RNH are four great players that just need more time. Compare it to real life...when a teenager faces adversity, he's more likely to think negative. As you age, you develop a "defense mechanism" and fight back and overcome adversity.

The Oilers give up a goal and they begin to collapse. I think the Oilers will hit their stride when RNH, Hall, Eberle are 24-25.

Nurse and Klefbom developing, acquiring some quality UFA defenseman will go a long way in turning the Oilers around.

I definitely see a bright future for the Oilers but it might take more time than expected.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
I don't care how "good" he's looked. Trade Hemsky. Use that cap space to bring some d-man in.

EDIT: Additionally, this team should go **** itself.

Captain Catatomic

SuprstitionCondition
Jun 25, 2013
This season is done. Trade Hemsky, ask Eakins what the hell he's doing with the line match ups, and draft whoever in the top 10.

No point in trading any of the kids as we'll just get fleeced from a position of weakness.

OR.... Keep calm and suck really really really bad for Ekblad.. as per regular Oilers Mantra

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad