Why are the Flames a better organization?

Status
Not open for further replies.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Only one more win but playing a much tougher schedule. And besides the two games at Dallas and Washington, the Oilers have actually been in their games and could have won. The Flames, on the other hand, have been pretty much dominated every game and have played awful. Just look at the goal differential between the Oilers and Flames right now.

Anyway, after a decade long of being losers and getting crapped on by other fanbases including Calgary's, I don't think we're being too cocky here. I don't see anyone tooting the Oilers too much.. rather we're just enjoying the struggles of the Flames and its irrelevant of how the Oilers do.

I am not going to be too smug. As bad as the Flames have been the Oilers only have 2 more points than the Flames...and they now have a game in hand.

The Oilers are improving but they are still a bad hockey team. They still have a loser mentality and its going to take a lot of this season to change that. Thats what the formula of losing does...it creates a loser psychology thats difficult to change. Learning to win is going to take time.
Mclellan has his hands full and I am very glad he is at the helm because I believe he will turn this around.
Lots of pain yet to come though.

As for Hamilton he has been terrible...but on the other hand Sekera has been pretty bad (for the most part) for the Oilers. If Sekera needs time to adjust then I think its only fair to suggest that Hamilton (who is much younger) does too.

Even though I hope the Flames fail miserably if I was to bet money then I would bet that the Flames improve before the Oilers do.
They (unfortunately) dont have as many holes as the Oilers do.

We shall see how things plays out for these teams.
I would LOVE to be wrong. :D

MinisterOfSinister

Aug 31, 2008
At least we have been in our games.

Flames have just been brutal in all areas. They are better than this but I am rather enjoying the meltdown.

Flaming Satan

Driving into Legacy
May 29, 2014
YYC
Theres always a shelf life to that kind of thing. its difficult to overperform for a significant length of time. They had that outwork mojo going for awhile and everybody jumping off the bench and giving it their all. As soon as that bubble bursts the result is usually ugly. Detroit Red Wings are in the same situation.

Calgary is dead in the water. Going to be some bleak years and now they will have to rebuild. johnny hockey is going to look like Johnny loser.

"Johnny Loser" is the only good player on the Flames currently, he is the only reason why are aren't Anaheim in terms of goal scoring. He carried Monahan and Hudler last year and this year it just isn't working. Our goaltending is awful, our defence is playing like ass and Hamilton hasn't been worth a single cent of that contract.

**** me

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
"Johnny Loser" is the only good player on the Flames currently, he is the only reason why are aren't Anaheim in terms of goal scoring. He carried Monahan and Hudler last year and this year it just isn't working. Our goaltending is awful, our defence is playing like ass and Hamilton hasn't been worth a single cent of that contract.

**** me

I can agree with this. I don't really like Gaudreau but he is the best consistent Flames threat. I actually think he's carrying Hudler/Monahan, neither of which are carrying their weight. Hudler is to be expected but I'm surprised at Monahan being less than effective.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Nurse is tied for points with Sam Bennet.

so is Gryba, Klinkhammer, and Slepy :)

Gaudreau is definitely the most talented Flame forward. He's the only one that I believe can maintain 60+ points a season for the majority of his career. Although Monahan has been pretty productive in his first two years, I just don't see the talent and skill in him to call him an elite player. As for Bennett, he's been underwhelming for me. I remember being wow'd by his skill set in some video highlights, but I haven't seen that skill come through yet at this level. He is playing with some pretty mediocre players though because that Calgary lineup is pretty sad after the first line.

McDeathbyCheerios*

so is Gryba, Klinkhammer, and Slepy :)

Gaudreau is definitely the most talented Flame forward. He's the only one that I believe can maintain 60+ points a season for the majority of his career. Although Monahan has been pretty productive in his first two years, I just don't see the talent and skill in him to call him an elite player. As for Bennett, he's been underwhelming for me. I remember being wow'd by his skill set in some video highlights, but I haven't seen that skill come through yet at this level. He is playing with some pretty mediocre players though because that Calgary lineup is pretty sad after the first line.
Gaudreau is a left wing Eberle.

Arctic Fox

Nov 17, 2007
I can agree with this. I don't really like Gaudreau but he is the best consistent Flames threat. I actually think he's carrying Hudler/Monahan, neither of which are carrying their weight. Hudler is to be expected but I'm surprised at Monahan being less than effective.

Monahan is 21. Young kids are expected to have ups and downs. I'd be more surprised if he could play consistently at his age.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
What an idiotic comment on sn saying the oilerd arr gonna regret taking drai over benette

I would have taken Bennett 10 times out of 10.

Better compete level, better skater, and grittier then Draisaitl and I think the offense will be a saw off.

I think the Oilers trade Draisaitl as part of a package for a top pairing dman.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com

Better compete level, better skater, and grittier then Draisaitl and I think the offense will be a saw off.

And Bennett couldn't do a damn chin up at the combine. Button said that Bennett would benefit with another year in junior.

Last edited:

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014

I wanted Bennett but I think you're under rating Drai here. Leon wins for passing, board work, cycling and all the other benefits of size. I hate harping on size as a reason to take a player, but it really works with Drai's patient playing style (which I still see as much more Thornton than Kopitar).

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
I wanted Bennett but I think you're under rating Drai here. Leon wins for passing, board work, cycling and all the other benefits of size. I hate harping on size as a reason to take a player, but it really works with Drai's patient playing style (which I still see as much more Thornton than Kopitar).

Yeah but I don't see his mobility translating to the NHL as a C. I think he'll be an amazing winger though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad