Why are the Flames a better organization?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Dougie Hamilton with second worst +/- in the league with -11 after 9 games.

+/- was such a terrible stat before, like when people used it to bash Yak. This year however, I think it's the best way to evaluate players :naughty:

Eichel -7 (9th last in NHL)
Hamilton -11 (2nd last in NHL)

Tells the whole story IMO.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
+/- was such a terrible stat before, like when people used it to bash Yak. This year however, I think it's the best way to evaluate players :naughty:

Eichel -7 (9th last in NHL)
Hamilton -11 (2nd last in NHL)

Tells the whole story IMO.
Well done on pointing out the double standard.
Too many people just pick the stats that suit their narrative. Makes for very irritating conversation.

+/- is not nearly as useless as people make it out to be. Its an indicator.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Too many people just pick the stats that suit their narrative. Makes for very irritating conversation.

Joking aside, i think it is pretty accurate for Hamilton. He has looked really bad every time I have seem him. He has a long way to go to come close to living up to that contract.

Arctic Fox

Nov 17, 2007
Joking aside, i think it is pretty accurate for Hamilton. He has looked really bad every time I have seem him. He has a long way to go to come close to living up to that contract.

So trade him for picks and start a re-rebuild? :popcorn:

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Quick! Someone start the "Why are the Canucks a better organization?" thread!

I'm actually surprised at how good defensively they have been considering their defense is pretty much made up of rookies. They've hung in there well. They've actually been able to make a good break out pass often. That said, I still hate them and hope they fail. :laugh:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

In Hamilton's case, it's been an indicator that he's been an absolute trash fire in his own one. Ugly stuff.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I would personally like the thank the OP for creating this gem of a thread. Since being created the Flames have been a horrible team. Great for a mid day laugh

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
This thread just keeps growing and growing, without looking at the posts, I'm just going to assume it's a TON of reasons why the Flames are the better organization.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Just like many of you, I am really enjoying this early season struggles for the Flames.. especially after hearing so many cocky Flame fans truly believing that their rebuild is so much ahead of the Oilers after one lucky year. I honestly haven't seen a fanbase overrate their own midlevel prospects as much as Calgary. They list all these mid level prospects (Arnold, Granlund, Klimchuk, Jankowski, Jouris, Ferland, etc etc) and argue like they're gonna be sure fire contributing NHL players. Truth is.. all teams have these kind of prospects.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Just like many of you, I am really enjoying this early season struggles for the Flames.. especially after hearing so many cocky Flame fans truly believing that their rebuild is so much ahead of the Oilers after one lucky year. I honestly haven't seen a fanbase overrate their own midlevel prospects as much as Calgary. They list all these mid level prospects (Arnold, Granlund, Klimchuk, Jankowski, Jouris, Ferland, etc etc) and argue like they're gonna be sure fire contributing NHL players. Truth is.. all teams have these kind of prospects.

Yeah this was the most infuriating debate I had with one fan. Arguing over the mid level D prospects and how Flames guys were so good, all with top 4 upside. I had to go back and show that history tells us these guys will be Theo Peckhams, not Smids. Its worth debating Nurse/reinhart vs Hamilton/Kylington but the other guys like Laleggia/wotherspoon/musil/Culkin/andersson/simpson etc are all replaceable and maybe 1 will turn out. Guy was persistent that all flames will turn out and all Oilers wont. Flames had best prospect pool, bets team, and best young core. And despite the mountains of history stating otherwise,a ll prospects will turn out

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Yeah this was the most infuriating debate I had with one fan. Arguing over the mid level D prospects and how Flames guys were so good, all with top 4 upside. I had to go back and show that history tells us these guys will be Theo Peckhams, not Smids. Its worth debating Nurse/reinhart vs Hamilton/Kylington but the other guys like Laleggia/wotherspoon/musil/Culkin/andersson/simpson etc are all replaceable and maybe 1 will turn out. Guy was persistent that all flames will turn out and all Oilers wont. Flames had best prospect pool, bets team, and best young core. And despite the mountains of history stating otherwise,a ll prospects will turn out

i live in calgary i do this all the time.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
i live in calgary i do this all the time.

Im not sure where it came from, most teams fans have the general sentiment that average prospects are replaceable and very low chance of making it. I think that comes from years of drafting promising guys and then having them bust. But for Calgary they were so terrible at drafting from 2005-2010 that they couldnt even get promising junior players. Even the Oilers landed some guys who did really well in junior. So now is the first batch of promising junior guys and its like theyve landed 10 future Brodies. I think as they begin to hit the AHL and struggle the hype will wear down (wotherspoon is great example). But for right now, one guy has an average NCAA year and gets a shout out from Pronman once and hes suddenly better than Nurse

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
Some of the callers on 960 were hilarious yesterday.

One guy thought maybe they don't have enough charismatic guys on the team and it's not fun for them.

It really tells you something when the roster is pretty much the same and they are this bad so far.

I think they are already tuning Hartley out. You can't go "balls to the wall" game in and game out. Ferlund has even been nothing like he was in the playoffs.

Oct 15, 2008
One popular poster is conspicuously absent.

Hmmm.......................

I mean they started out posting like a house on fire but then went silent...............

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
So trade him for picks and start a re-rebuild? :popcorn:

Wouldn't that be sweet. He still has potential to be great. Seeing the flames and fans run him out of town and trade him for less than they gave up to get him. That would be beautiful.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
However, it has to be said they do have a solid core and the D are pretty stacked on paper. They should be talked about like 2010-14 Oilers who were atrocious. They have some very good core pieces in every position

This year is just a display that youth doesnt always constantly improve, there is ups and downs

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I think they are already tuning Hartley out. You can't go "balls to the wall" game in and game out. Ferlund has even been nothing like he was in the playoffs.

History of Hartley:

Took a young, inexperienced Thrasher team to suprising playoff berth in year 2, fired in year 3

Took a young, inexperienced Colorado team to surprising playoff berth in year 2, fired in year 3

Took a young, inexperienced Flames team to surprising playoff berth in year 2, struggling in year 3. TBD on the firing

:popcorn:

These coaches get alot out of players in tghe beginning. But Hartley doesnt seem like a smart coach, so his systems dont change and adapt. Teams catch on and limit his own players ability. He keeps on yelling but not improving the team, team tunes him out, he gets canned. Gets hired to a young team who needs guidance. Rinse and repeat

Oct 15, 2008
They played out of their minds last year and it was exciting for their fans/city. Much like the cup run of 06 for Oiler fans/Edmontonians.

Doesnt mean it was/is going to keep going.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
I think much of their roster overachieved last year and so far have underachieved this year.

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Some of the callers on 960 were hilarious yesterday.

One guy thought maybe they don't have enough charismatic guys on the team and it's not fun for them.

It really tells you something when the roster is pretty much the same and they are this bad so far.

Theres always a shelf life to that kind of thing. its difficult to overperform for a significant length of time. They had that outwork mojo going for awhile and everybody jumping off the bench and giving it their all. As soon as that bubble bursts the result is usually ugly. Detroit Red Wings are in the same situation.

Calgary is dead in the water. Going to be some bleak years and now they will have to rebuild. johnny hockey is going to look like Johnny loser.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad