Why are the Flames a better organization?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
They played out of their minds last year and it was exciting for their fans/city. Much like the cup run of 06 for Oiler fans/Edmontonians.

Doesnt mean it was/is going to keep going.

They got career years out of many players. I mean didn't Josh Jooris (who?) hit double digits in goals last year?

The Michael Ferland hype died down pretty quick. Or maybe his play is only effective in the playoffs.

That playoff win might've done more harm than good. It was the two worst playoff teams playing each other and one had to win. The Flames got high and then were promptly smashed by Anaheim (as many here predicted would happen).

I've watched a few games this year and their top line is the only one that's an offensive threat. Gaudreau has kept it up but Monahan has slipped a bit and Hudler has regressed a bit.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Flames record since thread was started;

6 losses. 1 fluke OT win after tying the game against Detroit Dead things in last minute of play.

Flames have been outscored 28-12 during this stretch giving up an average of 4GA/Game.

Flames have somehow attributed that to goaltending and tossed one of their "Great" goalies from last season.

The Wheels are off, the wagon is headed down the cliff. Crash and burn.

The Flames theme song suddenly takes on a different cratering significance.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
History of Hartley:

Took a young, inexperienced Thrasher team to suprising playoff berth in year 2, fired in year 3

Took a young, inexperienced Colorado team to surprising playoff berth in year 2, fired in year 3

Took a young, inexperienced Flames team to surprising playoff berth in year 2, struggling in year 3. TBD on the firing

:popcorn:

These coaches get alot out of players in tghe beginning. But Hartley doesnt seem like a smart coach, so his systems dont change and adapt. Teams catch on and limit his own players ability. He keeps on yelling but not improving the team, team tunes him out, he gets canned. Gets hired to a young team who needs guidance. Rinse and repeat

The Flames just extended Hartley too IIRC. And they are one cheap group [not EIG cheap] so I could see them hold onto him longer:laugh:

ehhteen

5-14-6-1
Jan 15, 2010
Connor's Place
Flames record since thread was started;

6 losses. 1 fluke OT win after tying the game against Detroit Dead things in last minute of play.

Flames have been outscored 28-12 during this stretch giving up an average of 4GA/Game.

Flames have somehow attributed that to goaltending and tossed one of their "Great" goalies from last season.

The Wheels are off, the wagon is headed down the cliff. Crash and burn.

The Flames theme song suddenly takes on a different cratering significance.
Best defence in the league.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The Flames just extended Hartley too IIRC. And they are one cheap group [not EIG cheap] so I could see them hold onto him longer:laugh:

He did win the Jack Adam trophy. Always earn never given. That should buy him some time.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Loubardias still thinks they're a good team. Wah we lost Brodie. I thought the Flames had the best defense in the league?

That excuse is so rich. "Giordano is our best defenseman, should have won the Norris the last two years!" Brodie goes down - "this team really needs Brodie, the team is lost without him."

Which one is it? Fact is if your D is truly "best in the West" (as Stauffer was embarrassingly declaring all summer) losing one guy should not relegate your crew to worst in the league.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
That excuse is so rich. "Giordano is our best defenseman, should have won the Norris the last two years!" Brodie goes down - "this team really needs Brodie, the team is lost without him."

Which one is it? Fact is if your D is truly "best in the West" (as Stauffer was embarrassingly declaring all summer) losing one guy should not relegate your crew to worst in the league.

Russell and Hamilton have the two worst plus/minus ratings in the league.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

I am seeing much the same issues with Calgary that the Oilers had last season. Goaltending is killing that team so far and its having an effect on the entire team...especially defensively.

That defence is also playing way below their abilities so far... its nice to see. :D

Will it continue...if they dont get that sub par goaltending turned around it very well could.

That said I am not going to get too cocky yet. As bad as the Flames have been the Oilers have exactly 1 more win than they do.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
I am seeing much the same issues with Calgary that the Oilers had last season. Goaltending is killing that team so far and its having an effect on the entire team...especially defensively.

That defence is also playing way below their abilities so far... its nice to see. :D

Will it continue...if they dont get that sub par goaltending turned around it very well could.

That said I am not going to get too cocky yet. As bad as the Flames have been the Oilers have exactly 1 more win than they do.

Only one more win but playing a much tougher schedule. And besides the two games at Dallas and Washington, the Oilers have actually been in their games and could have won. The Flames, on the other hand, have been pretty much dominated every game and have played awful. Just look at the goal differential between the Oilers and Flames right now.

Anyway, after a decade long of being losers and getting crapped on by other fanbases including Calgary's, I don't think we're being too cocky here. I don't see anyone tooting the Oilers too much.. rather we're just enjoying the struggles of the Flames and its irrelevant of how the Oilers do.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Flames have played 9 games. Zero regulation time wins. Of course they end up winning the two games that did go to OT...:shakehead

Predictably in both of those games they are outworked and outplayed and have to come back and score the tying goal in the 3rd. The Vancouver game with 10mins left, the Detroit game with 1min left.

Without that we could, and should be looking at an even worse Flames record.

5 of the Flames matches, including against us, haven't even been close.

Without some fluke window dressing Flames have worst record in the league.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Flames have played 9 games. Zero regulation time wins. Of course they end up winning the two games that did go to OT...:shakehead

Predictably in both of those games they are outworked and outplayed and have to come back and score the tying goal in the 3rd. The Vancouver game with 10mins left, the Detroit game with 1min left.

Well, not to mention Columbus.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

#neverquit...what? they never started playing until the 3rd last year lol

they haven't won a game in regulation since Game 6 of the WCQF against Vancouver, in which they had to come back down 3 to win...because of course they did

biggest phonies in the league last year getting exposed at the moment...all those vets having career years aren't having them anymore (Hudler, Wideman, Russell, Giordano)
and supposed "great bottom 6" has gone MIA and the goaltending has cratered

but hey, they're WAY ahead of the Oilers in the rebuild!

#alwaysearnednevergiven...except for Sam Bennett I guess

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
It's funny how much these guys bring up Edmonton on the Fan 960. They just made 100 excuses as to why Bennet is not producing. They talk about the Oilers and a guy like Hall who "Might only be about offense and a me first guy" that got thrown in. They say Edmonton has nobody young who does defense work *cough* McDavid learning to kill penalties *cough*

Basically making CGY sound like they are purposely keeping Bennet under the radar.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It's funny how much these guys bring up Edmonton on the Fan 960. They just made 100 excuses as to why Bennet is not producing. They talk about the Oilers and a guy like Hall who "Might only be about offense and a me first guy" that got thrown in. They say Edmonton has nobody young who does defense work *cough* McDavid learning to kill penalties *cough*

Basically making CGY sound like they are purposely keeping Bennet under the radar.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint

They're obsessed. It'll never end, regardless of where both teams are in the standings.

MinisterOfSinister

Aug 31, 2008
The call in show on 960 was hilarious last night.

Steinberg was doing everything he could think of to defend Hamilton. "Well, yanno, they are paying him for how good he will be in the future."

Caller - "Ok but he's killing us right now and we were told he was one of the best young D in the game."

Steinberg *sigh* "Yeah but... he's going to be really good someday."

Caller - "He's one of our highest payed players before he ever played a game for us. Always earned, never given?"

Steinberg "Yeah, but you gotta remember... he's going to be really good someday."

:laugh:

Their breakout scheme is horrendous. There is no adjustment. Other teams have scouted the Flames and the book is out on them now. If their Jack Adams winning coach can't figure it out they are gonna be pooched before Remembrance Day.

Looks good on ya Calgary.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad