Why are the Flames a better organization?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gret99zky

Worst Thread Ever
May 5, 2007
Gamma Quadrant
The Flames are losing?

theshining-1427212867.gif

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Not that this is the place to discuss it...I dont think you understand my position at all.

Libertarianism (Latin: liber, "free") is a political philosophy that upholds liberty as its principal objective. Libertarians seek to maximize autonomy and freedom of choice, emphasizing political freedom, voluntary association, and the primacy of individual judgment.

You might be surprised what I know about it.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
He walked all over us and in the end got away with it anyways! And the morning after, the optics around the Oilers and their crack group of managers was very poor to say the least.

Souray? He was hurt, we tried to force him to play, and then tried to bury him in the minors when A: he was a NHL dman, and B: We were short on NHL dman.

Spite from our management crew directed towards unionized millionaires didn't work out that well for us. Turns out NHLer's talk. The crap part is when Souray was first with this team, I had the feeling he REALLY wanted to be here. Grew up an Oiler fan. Put up great numbers for us. Beat the snot out of the captain down the road. How could we let a guy like that go?

In hindsight not getting Heatly was a dodged bullet. But how they went after him was embarrassing. At least to me.

I honestly don't know what people are trying to defend here. The Lowe era Oilers was/is the biggest tire fire the NHL has ever seen. We were being told that, the results on the ice show that, and yet we still want to defend it at all costs? Why?

I'm just happy we have the people in place that we do now. Hopefully PC is given free reign to make the roster as he sees fit and we start competing.

Here is the important piece of intelligence I need on you.

"In hindsight not getting Heatly was a dodged bullet. But how they went after him was embarrassing. At least to me."

So you happen to have a crystal ball and can foretell how things would be when they are entirely different....

Well, good for that. have fun with your opinions.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Drafting is even more of a crapshoot for poor Management teams.

What are your thoughts on all the other player mismanagement that Pugilist touched on in his post?

"Throwing kids top line minutes without sheltering them?"

This of course is a mistake. That said, the Oilers a running a business. They are not fans, they have to make payroll and other business like things.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Really the ultimate reality is that no organization has been as badly Managed over the past 6-10 years.
Doesn't matter if we are talking about the Flames or any other organization.
The denial about this reality appears to be quite pronounced in some posters though.

People posting that they feel that 1 game (last Saturday) or 1 (supposedly fluke) season for the Flames is 'proof' of the contrary really illuminates the folly of their position.

Maybe the tables are turning (I certainly believe that) but it doesnt take away from the reality of the last 6-10 years. That the tables are turning is a separate argument.
This is about what has happened...not what may happen.

They told you what they were doing.

Didnt you believe them?

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Looking at Calgary's results, it's apparent again that this is what sub standard goaltending can do to a team. Along with a lot of other apparent issues.

I'm not so sure we should make fun of them (too much anyways). We've been there for a number of years. I choose not to slouch to their fans levels with all the hate and vitriol recompensed towards them.

I'm just happy the Oilers have made positive changes in so many areas.

[mod]

Bingo. Good goal tending on the Oilers last year and fans have a totally different perspective.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
They told you what they were doing.

Didnt you believe them?

I watched them make stupid mistake after stupid mistake.

If you choose to believe that stupidity was intentional then have at it.

"Throwing kids top line minutes without sheltering them?"

This of course is a mistake. That said, the Oilers a running a business. They are not fans, they have to make payroll and other business like things.

Interesting to me how running a team into the ground correlates perfectly with playing rookies in tough situations.
Not a very intelligent business model when you essentially devalue the organization.

MinisterOfSinister

Aug 31, 2008
Here is the important piece of intelligence I need on you.

"In hindsight not getting Heatly was a dodged bullet. But how they went after him was embarrassing. At least to me."

So you happen to have a crystal ball and can foretell how things would be when they are entirely different....

Well, good for that. have fun with your opinions.

That's why I qualified the statement with "in hindsight". You know what that means correct?

My main point was the embarrassing way in which the Oilers persued him. Which reminds me of how we persued Hossa. Oilers first game against Detroit, and Gene is interviewing Hossa asking him what it was like to "almost sign with the Oilers". Good lord.

My opinions are just that, your lack of reading comprehension is another matter altogether however.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
Ramo, Raymond, Engellend make up $10M of cap space that might all be buried in the minors or press box. Good move by BT.

... and if Hamilton keeps up his horrific play, he'll likely be seeing the press box sometime soon as well.

So, close to $16 million in scratches or buried contracts.

MacT should thank Treliving for making him look good!

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
I just looked it up, and the 4 players mentioned add up to $14.667 million in non-performing contracts.

This beats the MacT record of $14.55 mil.

If Smid also gets scratched or buried, it goes as high as $18.167 million in wasted cap space for healthy players signed to NHL deals who aren't playing.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I just looked it up, and the 4 players mentioned add up to $14.667 million in non-performing contracts.

This beats the MacT record of $14.55 mil.

If Smid also gets scratched or buried, it goes as high as $18.167 million in wasted cap space for healthy players signed to NHL deals who aren't playing.

That's a lot of wasted Big Macs
Right Ronald?

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
That's why I qualified the statement with "in hindsight". You know what that means correct?

My main point was the embarrassing way in which the Oilers persued him. Which reminds me of how we persued Hossa. Oilers first game against Detroit, and Gene is interviewing Hossa asking him what it was like to "almost sign with the Oilers". Good lord.

My opinions are just that, your lack of reading comprehension is another matter altogether however.

Every decision is a risk. Your hindsight qualification is redundant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad