Who's the most homer TV announcers?

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Are the same clowns still commentating the Pittsburgh games? I remember they called the Islanders one of the worst team in the league that can only goon it up the same game when the Pens lost 3-9 :laugh:

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Edwards for sure but it is so much fun that I can't be mad about it: he seems like he would be in the arena as a paying customer if he wasn't there to call the game.

My least favorite is Eddie D'oh but only because NBC has him do the Hawks games that are on national television, which is like every nationally televised game. Goes out of his way to highlight any routine play made by a Hawks player and can't hide his favoritism.

JayTam

Apr 20, 2014
Hamburg, Germany
Jack Edwards is in a league of his own, but he does it on purpose so in a strange way I respect him for it.

Thats a pretty good way of saying it.

I guess thats why I like Doc calling games. Is he overdoing it sometimes, yes, but he cheers for both Teams alike. Would like to see him Dont just do games in the East...

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I don't think Boston is bad at all. I think Errey and Steigerwald are the most biased. Pierre McGuire is the worst. He does t even try to hide who he is rooting for when he does games on NBC.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I have heard Jack Edwards a lot and to me, he's absolutely fine.

I think he's lost his temper a couple of times (he's human) and those incidents were well documented, but on average he calls it down the middle. Has nothing but praise for the Rangers whenever I've heard him call Rangers vs Bruins.

PromNite

Know Your Enemy
Apr 30, 2007
Tampa, FL
I'm fairly sure every team's crew has been mentioned in this thread, so it's obviously subjective.

But I have to go with the ROOT crew in Pitt. They are awful in every way. Absolutely cringe-worthy no matter who they are facing.

SoupaTroupa

WHY NOT US?
Jan 8, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Sportsnet's bias against the Ducks in the WPG series was brutal. Down right unprofessional.

Whether or not this is true (I don't think it is), those are not our normal Announcers. No one was happy with the Sportnet crew. Our usual guys are on TSN.

Dennis Beyak who is our regional TSN play by play guy Is obviously watching the game from a Jets fan point of view. But he is also full of fun facts about the opposing team and gets excited over anything happening for either team, including goals. when it's a regional broadcast though, it's to be expected that there is some homerism. I just think it's in bad taste when it's a national broadcast.

Last edited:

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
People who base their opinion on the Avs duo on that Foligno clip should see this:

Obviously the truth is somewhere in the between.

Dallas Eakins*

Glenn Heally's Carey Price obsession is among the most annoying, reprehensible, and unprofessional things I've ever experienced being spewed from a commentators mouth. And he is relentless talking about how impossible beating Price is in all zones, at the beginning and the end of the game, etc.

Particularly eye opening were the blatant Hab fanboy team calling the series with the Sens from Rogers/CBC last I checked both were Canadian teams who if you're going to be biased as CBC always is you'd think would at least abstain from picking a favourite in this series:dunno:

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
sorry but its NESN - i actually like listening to it the lead announcer has a good voice even

but my goodness it would be hard to watch hockey from other broadcasts if thats all youve ever known

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
Watching the Calgary/Vancouver series I have to say the Vancouver homer announcers are downright awful. I watched the Chicago announcers in the past and they were very fair. I don't know if Beyak is biased in Winnipeg being a fan of the Jets but I sure would love to know what other fans think?

Cassie Campbell is the Wife of Calgary Asst GM Brad pascal.
Her targeting of Hall is by media training defined as unethical.

How can you not think that is guided by someone who is often in.

Gio4PM

Nov 4, 2014
Cassie Campbell is the Wife of Calgary Asst GM Brad pascal.
Her targeting of Hall is by media training defined as unethical.

How can you not think that is guided by someone who is often in.

Haven't seen her do many Oiler games at all, but she's not good anyway, homer or not.

But could you please translate your second sentence?

HP00

Oct 27, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Jack Edwards does a weird thing where if the Bruins are getting killed he gets really psyched for the other team. For example:

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
I have heard Jack Edwards a lot and to me, he's absolutely fine.

I think he's lost his temper a couple of times (he's human) and those incidents were well documented, but on average he calls it down the middle. Has nothing but praise for the Rangers whenever I've heard him call Rangers vs Bruins.

Thanks for the laugh. I can't believe you actually think that. :amazed::amazed:

Glenn Heally's Carey Price obsession is among the most annoying, reprehensible, and unprofessional things I've ever experienced being spewed from a commentators mouth. And he is relentless talking about how impossible beating Price is in all zones, at the beginning and the end of the game, etc.

Particularly eye opening were the blatant Hab fanboy team calling the series with the Sens from Rogers/CBC last I checked both were Canadian teams who if you're going to be biased as CBC always is you'd think would at least abstain from picking a favourite in this series:dunno:

Yeah it was pretty pathetic just how bad SN was. It was national coverage and they were so one sided with everything I actually turned off the games because I couldn't take it anymore.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Stu Gimson has to be up there. I don't think that guy saw a single poor play out of the Predators all season :laugh:

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
Disagree, hazy isnt a homer, he calls it like it is, same with Ahlers, they often compliment the other team and if the Ducks take a stupid penalty, he will say "dumb penalty" and a good call by the refs.

Ahlers is fine, but Hayward is one of the biggest homers in the league.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
The Duck announcers are not homers, they are just bad.

Ahlers doesn't even know the Duck players names. Every shift he gets someone wrong, its almost unbearable.

UnrefinedCrude

Jun 7, 2011
Stu Gimson has to be up there. I don't think that guy saw a single poor play out of the Predators all season :laugh:

Louie DeBrusk used to be the same when he did colour for the Oilers.

Drew Remenda is much better.

I like Louie, but when even the home fans roll their eyes, you know it's an issue.

Tont

May 4, 2006
Pretty funny to see the only people mention Ball and Hrudey are Oilers fans. And not just any Oilers fans, but the ones who can reliably be found cracking on anything Flames related on these boards.

I'm truly sorry you guys have to listen to Kevin Quinn and Drew Remenda. Not even you guys should have to endure that fate.

Mister Hockey

Mar 4, 2004
Washington, Pa
Are the same clowns still commentating the Pittsburgh games? I remember they called the Islanders one of the worst team in the league that can only goon it up the same game when the Pens lost 3-9 :laugh:

You need to get real. That's the game where the Islanders basically brought up the Hanson brothers to goon it up. It was one of the most disgraceful moments in hockey in the last twenty years. Tangradi had his career ruined from the felony assault on him. He was never the same after the concussion he received. Next time know what your talking about.

BobCole

May 21, 2014
You need to get real. That's the game where the Islanders basically brought up the Hanson brothers to goon it up. It was one of the most disgraceful moments in hockey in the last twenty years. Tangradi had his career ruined from the felony assault on him. He was never the same after the concussion he received. Next time know what your talking about.

Eh, that game was indeed disgraceful, but so was Steigy/Errey's call of the game...like always.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad