Who's the most homer TV announcers?

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
Mike Johnson literally creamed his pants every time Karlsson touched the puck. But on the other hand Healy creamed his pants any time carey price made a save.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
CBC when the Leafs are on.

While my vote is still for Boston, this answer is very very true.

Any time the Jets have played Toronto on a Saturday, the commentary has been unbearable. If Toronto does something good, it's because they play well. If Winnipeg does something good, it's because Toronto played bad. Every aspect of the game is based around them.

"Oh what's that? Wheeler has 2 goals? Well let me just go into a 40 second speech about how Kessel also scores goals."

T0uGh C0oki3

Goodbye Jumbo Joe
Dec 19, 2014
SPupCup1.JPG

If the most biased commentary duo gets a trophy at the end of every season,

that trophy is most likely to be named after this dude.

Ocoee

Sep 1, 2010
Denver
Denis Potvin probably takes this. Florida now, Ottawa before. Hard to take.

Oh, and my own home announcer, Bobby "The Chief" Taylor is ridiculously bias. Luckily, he can barely string two sentences together so it makes it more funny than anything else. And he's retiring.

This. Living in the Tampa/orlando region for over 10 years and kind of adopting Tampa as my second team to root for, listening to him was awful. Tampa does no wrong in his eyes and every penalty is justified for the other team. Their other announcer is great though...I'm forgetting his name.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Did Dave Mishkin lose his job or something? How is he not the only name in this thread.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Mike Johnson literally creamed his pants every time Karlsson touched the puck. But on the other hand Healy creamed his pants any time carey price made a save.
I remember during Karlsson's Norris Trophy season Healy thought there was nothing he can do wrong. When Ottawa was playing against Toronto there was a play when Karlsson scored on his own net and Healy just said it's "unfortunate and dumb luck."

Whenever a Leafs player makes a minor mistake Healy never shuts up about it and acts like it's such a major problem.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012

Not really. Healy loves Karlsson, but Johnson's true love is Gallagher.

JudgeandJury

Jun 17, 2009
Has to be Pittsburgh's. They renamed the network ROOT for crying out loud, that should give you an idea of what their M-O would be.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Any of you guys hear Edmonton's crew this season featuring Kevin Quinn and Drew Remenda? I don't think there's any way to beat them this season. Seemed to have flown under the radar for the most part, though. This is the game I first noticed it:

Exhibit A: Oilers goal

[nhl]2014020049-487-a[/nhl]

Exhibit B: Coyotes goal

[nhl]2014020049-497-a[/nhl]

Basically trying not to tell people that the Coyotes scored.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Did Dave Mishkin lose his job or something? How is he not the only name in this thread.

Mishkin and Esposito are in a league of their own. Their commentary of games, from a third-party point of view, borders on comedy. Mishkin does a good job of describing the play, but is always raving about anything that doesn't go Tampa Bay's way. Esposito's contributions usually involve going "no no no no no no no" in the background whenever Tampa gives the puck away. It's thoroughly entertaining. :laugh:

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
Jack Edwards by far is the worst I've come across. However, Mishkin is unbearable to listen to as well. The Avs and Pens guys are pretty bad as well.

I don't remember Denis Potvin so bad when he was in Florida pre-2009, but now at times drives me nuts and I'd love for Bill Lindsay to take back over the reigns. Some penalties that any team including the Panthers take are as clear as crystal. However, I'd say in more than half of the calls, he complains about the officiating being biased and the conditions on the ice constantly. He also frequently pronounces players names wrong.

I am a huge fan of Steve Goldstein at play-by-play though as he calls the game extremely well and in an entertaining way. The guy is a huge Panthers fan, but will certainly call them out if they deserve to be.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
However, Mishkin is unbearable to listen to as well.
I happen to have Sirus/XM radio and get all the NHL games and I was listening to Game 1 between Detroit and Tampa. Not only was Mishkin horrible to listen to, you should hear Phil Esposito. Every few seconds he would come and say that should have penalty on Detroit and if Tampa got a penalty he would complain about how when a Detroit player did the same thing it was not called.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I happen to have Sirus/XM radio and get all the NHL games and I was listening to Game 1 between Detroit and Tampa. Not only was Mishkin horrible to listen to, you should hear Phil Esposito. Every few seconds he would come and say that should have penalty on Detroit and if Tampa got a penalty he would complain about how when a Detroit player did the same thing it was not called.

That's how I get to hear that tandem as well. My favourite part is when Esposito is just moaning in the background when the Bolts makes a mistake. Guy has zero filter. :laugh:

At first I hated listening to the Tampa broadcasts, but now they always give me a chuckle.

Breezer12

Jan 4, 2015
Colorado. At least Jack Edwards shows enthusiasm for when the other team makes a good play.

I agree on the Jack Edwards point. He just goes crazy when there is a fight or some sort of physical activity but I think he does a good job at giving the other team some credit on great plays. He shows enthusiasm even as Montreal scores on a game 7 against Boston.

It's so annoying when the visiting team scores, some announcers sound like it's the end of the world. For example, Colorado, Florida, Tampa, Pittsburgh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad