Who's the better Ronaldo, Brazilian or Portuguese?

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
No, it doesn't.

Don't be silly.

Saying someone like Ronaldinho was better than CR7 is ridiculous.

There's no other way to put it.
Again, Ronaldo is putting up Lemieux-like numbers compared to the competition and winning trophies in the process.

And the only one in his league, historically, is Messi. A Gretzky to his Lemieux if you like.

---

Last edited:

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Don't be silly.

Again, Ronaldo is putting up Lemieux-like numbers compared to the competition and winning trophies in the process.

And the only one in his league, historically, is Messi. A Gretzky to his Lemieux if you like.

---

Exactly!

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Don't be silly.

---

You calling anyone silly considering what's in this thread is quite rich.

Ronaldinho from a career perspective wasn't better than Cristiano Ronaldo. That's obvious. However at his peak he was better. He was more skilled and put in performances that Ronaldo hasn't done. You seem unable to get past numbers which is laughable, but I guess that's why you get notions that Messi is in Ronaldo's league. Silly indeed.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
By the way, the fact Messi and Ronaldo are given the Bd'O every year isn't *only* because they're dominant. It's also because the voting has changed since the 00s, 90s and 80s.
It was extremely difficult to win the Bd'O if you were *just* the best player.
You had to have the best year, especially in team competitions.
Ribery would have won it three years ago, Neuer two years, etc...

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

Ronaldinho from a career perspective wasn't better than Cristiano Ronaldo. That's obvious. However at his peak he was better. He was more skilled and put in performances that Ronaldo hasn't done. You seem unable to get past numbers which is laughable, but I guess that's why you get notions that Messi is in Ronaldo's league. Silly indeed.

:laugh:

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
By the way, the fact Messi and Ronaldo are given the Bd'O every year isn't *only* because they're dominant. It's also because the voting has changed since the 00s, 90s and 80s.

The way they prevented Ribery from winning it in 2013 by delaying the vote was a disgrace. Not that I like him that much as a player or a person. Major asterisk on that year.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

Yes, you're correct Ronaldinho was more skilled than CR7. But he didn't have a very long peak, CR7 has been able to put up video game numbers since 07 along with messi. It's silly to discredit CR7 because he "only has good numbers." Obviously CR7 uses his physical talents to his advantage, but he's still used them to be one of the best players ever.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos

Noone is saying Ronaldo has more flash than Ronaldinho had.
Or that Ronaldinho didn't have more skill.

But only Messi is actually as effective on the pitch as Ronaldo.
The "you can't get past the numbers" excuse is pretty lame considering we're not talking about a goal here or there, but a guy who got 42 goals as freaking winger at ManU, and gets 50-60 regularly playing closer to goal in Real - all the while winning trophies and awards left and right, and setting records all over the place.

Of course one shouldn't overlook Ronaldo's numbers, they are absolutely ridiculous.
And have only been bettered by one other person at that level of football - fortunately for us they both play in the same era.

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
The way they prevented Ribery from winning it in 2013 by delaying the vote was a disgrace. Not that I like him that much as a player or a person. Major asterisk on that year.

True, Ronaldo was given the B'dO, no question, however, it was reported that Messi was actually in the lead before the delay.
Ribery actually didn't have a chance.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I can see where you'd find that funny as you rely on stats and have little experience actually having seen the players in question play.

giphy.gif

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Yes, you're correct Ronaldinho was more skilled than CR7. But he didn't have a very long peak, CR7 has been able to put up video game numbers since 07 along with messi. It's silly to discredit CR7 because he "only has good numbers." Obviously CR7 uses his physical talents to his advantage, but he's still used them to be one of the best players ever.

I know he didn't have a very long peak, hence my comment about him not being better from a career perspective.

I'm not discrediting Ronaldo because of his numbers. I'm discrediting the use of those numbers.

Of course he has. I've never said otherwise.

Noone is saying Ronaldo has more flash than Ronaldinho had.
Or that Ronaldinho didn't have more skill.

But only Messi is actually as effective on the pitch as Ronaldo.
The "you can't get past the numbers" excuse is pretty lame considering we're not talking about a goal here or there, but a guy who got 42 goals as freaking winger at ManU, and gets 50-60 regularly playing closer to goal in Real - all the while winning trophies and awards left and right, and setting records all over the place.

Of course one shouldn't overlook Ronaldo's numbers, they are absolutely ridiculous.
And have only been bettered by one other person at that level of football - fortunately for us they both play in the same era.

Nor has anyone said that Ronaldinho had more flash. I certainly didn't. I'm referring to skill and ability.

Wrong. Peak Ronaldinho was more effective than Ronaldo on the pitch. Other players were as well.

No, it's called greater context and depth. Rattling off his stats it great, but they don't put his performances into perspective. That's how you get ridiculous remarks like the one somebody, perhaps yourself, made about Ronaldo leading his team to all these trophies when that's very obviously not the case.

I'm not overlooking his numbers. You're inflating him as a result of his numbers.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
No, it's called greater context and depth. Rattling off his stats it great, but they don't put his performances into perspective. That's how you get ridiculous remarks like the one somebody, perhaps yourself, made about Ronaldo leading his team to all these trophies when that's very obviously not the case.

What do you mean "that's very obviously not the case"?

Who was the best player for these teams then? Giggs and Rooney at ManU?
Modric and Bale at Real?

All great, but Ronaldo was the best player on those teams every season, and those are "his" teams, much like Barca is Messi's.
He's the focal point, he's the one the game plan revolves around, or most of the plan anyway.

The dude won everything. 3 CL finals (same as Messi), 2 goals in them, a EURO, national titles, etc.

Are you doubting that he was THE leader when Portugal won the EURO?
Yes, he got injured in the final, but they never get there if he doesn't put everyone on his back against Hungary, knocks two in and assists on another goal.
Not every great performance has to be in the final, someone has to get you there.

Among his records:

Most goals scored in UEFA Champions League knockout phase: 42 goals

The dude is a gamer, I have never seen such a myth appear about an athlete winning trophies left and right; especially one breaking all sorts of record doing it.

Now, numbers are numbers, fair enough, but it only goes so far.
Messi is better, I'd always take him. He creates space out of nothing, doesn't appear to be an egomaniac, he's younger etc.
But again, the sheer number of goals (and assists, don't forget) from Ronaldo, as someone said like in a video game, is ridiculous.
It's historic and by a large margin the best there's ever been at this level of competition - except for Messi.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

Modric and Bale at Real?

All great, but Ronaldo was the best player on those teams every season, and those are "his" teams, much like Barca is Messi's.
He's the focal point, he's the one the game plan revolves around, or most of the plan anyway.

The dude won everything. 3 CL finals (same as Messi), 2 goals in them, a EURO, national titles, etc.

Yes, he got injured in the final, but they never get there if he doesn't put everyone on his back against Hungary, knocks two in and assists on another goal.
Not every great performance has to be in the final, someone has to get you there.

Among his records:

The dude is a gamer, I have never seen such a myth appear about an athlete winning trophies left and right; especially one breaking all sorts of record doing it.

Messi is better, I'd always take him. He creates space out of nothing, doesn't appear to be an egomaniac, he's younger etc.
But again, the sheer number of goals (and assists, don't forget) from Ronaldo, as someone said like in a video game, is ridiculous.
It's historic and by a large margin the best there's ever been at this level of competition - except for Messi.

I actually think that CR7 being a bit of an egomaniac has actually helped him as a player. Clearly he wants to be better than everybody at everything and it's well known he puts in a lot of work, even if the work is for his own self benefit.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin

Modric and Bale at Real?

Among his records:

Again, laughable use of stats. He didn't carry Madrid to those CLs at all. He at the runs of those wins and look at what Ronaldo did compared to his teammates. He also didn't carry Portugal. LOL at the two goals in the CL Finals bit. Look at most of those runs and you'll see that Ronaldo didn't contribute as much as you're giving him credit for much less anywhere near what Messi did. Ronaldo shows up against the weaker teams and guys like Ramos score the big goals.

Last edited:

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Helped him to be a better player but not make his team better.

He's been successful everywhere he's played, bar the international teams, just like Messi to be fair. Ronaldo has won 18 trophies in his club career, if I'm not mistaken, and that's a lot and to say he doesn't make his team better is just ridiculous. He's won everything there is to win in his club career, and obviously Messi has more trophies, but part of that is because 1) Messi is just the better player and 2) Messi had the benefit of playing on the best club team ever. I'm not trying to take away anything from Messi because he is the GOAT, but let's not pretend Ronaldo doesn't help his team play better.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
He definitely does to a degree but not as much as you guys are giving him credit for...How many pointless free kicks has he taken, he should clearly give it to a player that won't blast it in the stands or right into the wall. How many times has he taken a shot from far out when, he was better suited to pass to a teammate.

He's been a glorified poacher last couple of years and in general he does not impact the game as much as he perceived to. He'll be irrelevant most of the game but come in and score from 6 yards out. That's not leading a team to anything...which is what I think Les Habs is implying.

5 trophies with Madrid in 7 years...not exactly living the world on fire. 2 of which are Copa del reys.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
He's been successful everywhere he's played, bar the international teams, just like Messi to be fair. Ronaldo has won 18 trophies in his club career, if I'm not mistaken, and that's a lot and to say he doesn't make his team better is just ridiculous. He's won everything there is to win in his club career, and obviously Messi has more trophies, but part of that is because 1) Messi is just the better player and 2) Messi had the benefit of playing on the best club team ever. I'm not trying to take away anything from Messi because he is the GOAT, but let's not pretend Ronaldo doesn't help his team play better.

I don't think there has been much difference between the talent surrounding the two of them. Real Madrid should have been an all-time great team too with the players they've had in recent years.

Modric and Bale at Real?

Modric and Benz are both better than Cristiano imo. Rooney back in the day too.

Last edited:

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I don't think there has been much difference between the talent surrounding the two of them. Real Madrid should have been an all-time great team too with the players they've had in recent years.

Modric and Benz are both better than Cristiano imo. Rooney back in the day too.

Rooney back in the day was one of the best players in the world. Benz and Modric are very very good players, but no where near as good as Ronaldo.

Last edited:

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Rooney back in the day was one of the best players in the world I can agree with that. Benz and Modric are very very good players, but no where near as good as Ronaldo.

I'd say Ronaldo isn't nearly as good as they are. Modric was the real MVP of Real's 2014 CL win tbh.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto

Has the actual physical voting process changed? Or just the prevailing mindsets

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
What kind of ass backwards nonsense am I reading in here? Ronaldhino was overrated and not as good as CR7 but Rooney was?:laugh::joker:

Cr7 is a better finisher than Ronaldhino ever was but Ronnie was VASTLY superior in every other aspect of the game.

Dribbling? Check
Free kicks? Check
Vision/Playmaking/Passing? Check check check

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Rooney being better than Ronaldo is probably the most absurd thing I've seen here. Maybe back in 2004.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
What kind of ass backwards nonsense am I reading in here? Ronaldhino was overrated and not as good as CR7 but Rooney was?:laugh::joker:

Cr7 is a better finisher than Ronaldhino ever was but Ronnie was VASTLY superior in every other aspect of the game.

Dribbling? Check
Free kicks? Check
Vision/Playmaking/Passing? Check check check

Pretty sure the only people who think Rooney was ever in the same class as Cristiano also think Ronaldinho was.

Rooney being better than Ronaldo is probably the most absurd thing I've seen here. Maybe back in 2004.

You must not have seen your recent posts about Podolski still belonging on the German NT.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad