Who's the better Ronaldo, Brazilian or Portuguese?

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Huh, whaddya know :)

At any rate it seems like a lot of people on here forget that football players are actually normal human beings and not some kind of superheroes

The narratives about Messi's and Cristiano's finals successes and failures are starting to resemble NBA narratives about Championships. It's crazy.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Wow dude. Really. My point wasn't who the best players was, it was that Messi certainly didn't dominate or do it on his own, and on a team filled with world class players, sometimes the other guys have big games.
FWIW, Busquets won UEFA MoM. Suarez, Iniesta, Rakitic, Messi, all had good games.
(Messi's shot created the GWer)

Also, nice veiled insult there. ROFL

Well what you said specifically was Rakitic and Suarez carried the team, which includes Messi. That's simply not true, end of story. What's more you said as a response to Ronaldo's role or lack thereof in Madrid's 2014 CL win. If you want to walk away from that statement go right ahead.

The comment wasn't veiled. It was just a matter of fact statement. I wasn't trying to insult you either, but I see no other way of looking at it based on what you'd posted up until that point.

What are you talking about?
"Different Barca relative to today"? So what? "Different Real compared to today" is in the comparison, so why not Barca. Both played the same team within a week's span, one won barely, the other failed to win on home ground.
Yet somehow it's portrayed by people that Ronaldo was somehow the ultimate no-show in the whole thing.

You mentioned both CL Finals at one point in your post. My mistake. However, again, Barça should have won but the ref disallowed a legit goal and that was a goal scored by Messi. So your point doesn't hold here.

As for the runs to the Final, I don't need to look to know that Messi, the best player in the history, was great.
But the notion that the guy closest to him in every category is somehow put in the same tier as Ronaldo or Ronaldinho, the guy who holds the world record in goals in CL knockout stage matches, somehow gets questioned etc.

It should be questioned on certain levels, but not all. In the ways that I've put in the same tier as Ronaldo or Ronaldinho, or rather put him below them I suppose, that isn't a bad thing.

You don't seem to get it.
I'm not a particular fan of Barca or Real. In fact I've always liked Barca more.
And I'm the first to say that I enjoy watching Messi more, and that he is the best that's ever been.
But the whole thing with people clouded with hate describing Ronaldo as some sort of passenger who only gets by because his team serves him, etc., is completely ridiculous.

Not sure how who you support or don't support matters here as I've not mentioned it.

Well I don't agree with that notion myself, but I've not said he's just some sort of passenger and while I admit to disliking Ronaldo I've not let that get in the way of viewpoint. I've never liked either Ronaldo as I noted some time ago.

They say laughter makes your life longer.

I am happy to be contributing to you living a long and healthy life.

But seriously though, the case for Messi > Ronaldo is better than the opposite case, but saying that Ronaldo is a product of his teammates when Messi has been on the best team in the world, in large part due to him of course, for his entire pro career is little bit arrogant. Messi always has been in the system he LEARNED the pro game in with many many many word-class players around him. He was well-surrounded from the start.

Cheers for that. Though I should say that while I do laugh when you make posts like "**** Barça" or whatever, that anger probably isn't good for you.

I've not made that argument though. I think there is something to be said of Messi carrying his team more than Ronaldo and having a bigger impact than Ronaldo. In fact I'm not sure how that could ever be disputed if you look at the long run. Anyway, Ronaldo has always been well surrounded too.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Of course Ronaldo has always been well-surrounded. He mostly played at Man United and Real Madrid, two of the hugest clubs in the World. Ronaldo and Messi wouldn't have had as much team success as they have had if we were not in the era of the super teams. Of course, I don't think we will disagree on that one.

I do wake up at night to hate Barca (which is kind of ironic considering that, as a Québécois, I do feel a lot of sympathy for Catalonia; I guess you will have to blame Zidane going to RMCF in 2000 for that), that might not be good for my health indeed :( ... :laugh:

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
...because soccer is not about just the stats. The issue with that is people just look at the end product. Messi was better in 2010 yet, most think he was garbage. IN reality it was far from that.

The issue is not if he was garbage or not. I'm simply contesting that 1 assist in 8 hours of football does not equate to 'Taking your team to the finals'.

Roberto Baggio scoring 5 of the 6 Italians goals in the knockout stage of the 1994 WC is 'taking a team to the final'.

Diego Single–handedly tearing apart England and Belgium in 1986 is 'taking a team to the final'.

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
Brazil's Ronaldo is the superior player in talent and technique. Just unfortunate with his injuries.

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
The issue is not if he was garbage or not. I'm simply contesting that 1 assist in 8 hours of football does not equate to 'Taking your team to the finals'.

Roberto Baggio scoring 5 of the 6 Italians goals in the knockout stage of the 1994 WC is 'taking a team to the final'.

Diego Single–handedly tearing apart England and Belgium in 1986 is 'taking a team to the final'.

? Football is a TEAM game. It also involved input from coaches and managers and the players they select. If the coaching is poor, tactically inflexible and players are chosen on the basis of favouritism, past form or other spurious reasons then no matter the calibre of the individual player they will not succeed.

If the defence is a shambles or the goalkeeper is substandard or you have strikers that are mentally frail or inadequate then no matter the gifts of an attacking player they can only do so much.

Humans like to simplify things to put things into pigeon holes when the reality of sporting success is a far more complex issue than what one individual in any team sport does.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

Well it looks like the point of my post went straight over your head.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
Brazilian Ronaldo (along with Romario) scared the **** out of me.

C. Ronaldo is just a whiny *****!

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
I never liked the old Ronaldo.

The new Ronaldo has a more versatile kind of skill-set.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad