Who's the better Ronaldo, Brazilian or Portuguese?

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
At the last WC Messi scored no goals and registered 1 assist in nearly 8 hours of Knockout stage football. I don't know in what galaxy that equates to "taking a team to the finals".

Poor Messi, he ONLY gets to work with the likes of Higuain, di Maria, Lavezzi, Pastore, Aguero, Tevez.

CR7 on the other hand carried by Quaresma, Nani and Eder.

:laugh:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Poor Messi, he ONLY gets to work with the likes of Higuain, di Maria, Lavezzi, Pastore, Aguero, Tevez.

Bottler, walking bandaid 1, headless chicken,lazy underachiever(that doesn't actually play on the NT), walking bandaid 2.0, and cancer. Yup, just names. If the likes of Dybala were on the team last tournament they'd would have won.

Nani was better in Euro, as was a couple of other players but this doesn't play in the narrative you want to push. Hence, why you left out the actual bigger name players out of your post.

At the last WC Messi scored no goals and registered 1 assist in nearly 8 hours of Knockout stage football. I don't know in what galaxy that equates to "taking a team to the finals".

...because soccer is not about just the stats. The issue with that is people just look at the end product. Messi was better in 2010 yet, most think he was garbage. IN reality it was far from that.

The bottom line is this when Ronaldo doesn't score he's irrelevant on the pitch, while Messi is not. That's what separates the two players.

Last edited:

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Exacty. It's about performance. Amusing how Messi's CL Final against Juventus for example is called out as some sort of poor performance. That's a big red neon sign reading "I didn't see that match" if you post that.

Find that post and quote it instead of flat out misrepresenting what was said.

Nobody called out Messi vs Juve because of "poor performance" - what was said was that some Barca players stepped up and played a bigger role in that final, Busquests and Suarez, for example.
Messi didn't "dominate", though noone said he didn't contribute.

The whole comparison was used when people refuse to give out any credit to Ronaldo for "not dominating" finals, when the guy has won 3 CL titles.
Or calling him out for the missed pen vs Chelsea, despite him splitting MoM honors with V.d.Saar accross all media and fan votes.

Now, noone seems to mention that Real and Ronaldo played Atletico in those two finals.
A side they managed to beat both times, but hardly dominated...
I mean, who really dominates Atletico.

To put it into perspective, the same side that Real managed to beat 4-1 in the CL finls (after an injury time equalizer), a game in which Ronaldo was ordinary, yes...
That same side came a week earlier to Barcelona to the last round of the La Liga, 3 points ahead of Barca and on much worse goal difference.

That match was just as big as the CL final.
All Barca had to do to win the title was beat Atletico on their own turf in the last La Liga round.
Yet that same Atletico team made Barca look completely pedestrian in that game, on Barca's home ground, and it ended 1-1, with Atletico winning the title.

So, why would you blame Ronaldo for somehow not "dominating" Atletico, while not appyling the same logic to Messi a week earlier?

---

Also, someone mentioned Argentina's 3 finals.
Well, I'll give you Germany and the WC, Germany was the favorite.
But surely, Argentina was favorite to win vs Chile. You'd expect them to do so both times... Or at least once, at least on neutral ground.
Yet they didn't.
Does that make Messi a choker or whatever?

Of course not. Dude's a machine and performing all year long, same as Ronaldo.

But if you're using a certain logic on one of them, lets use it on the other.

You'll soon end up with Toto Schillaci as a better player than Del Piero, or Materazzi being better than Maldini.

TLDR; Even great players do not dominate every game, sometimes including finals.
But both Messi and CR7 have won so many trophies with their teams, while being the focal points of their teams on the way to doing so, so many individual accomplishments, records and awards, that anyone calling them out for not being "winners" or "big game players" etc., has got to be joking, biased or simply hating on them.

Last edited:

skillhockey

Feb 26, 2013
Say what you will about the last WC, but Messi wasn't the best Argentine there, it was his teammate from Barca.

Mascherano was amazing. They'd also be champions if Higuain or the other striker(forgot name) could put ball past Neuer on 1 vs 1. They had 2 chances like that in first 90 mins. Argentina should've won.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Mascherano literally ripped his ******* to stop Robben from scoring. That alone is MVP worthy.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Mascherano was amazing. They'd also be champions if Higuain or the other striker(forgot name) could put ball past Neuer on 1 vs 1. They had 2 chances like that in first 90 mins. Argentina should've won.

The should have's apply to Germany as well, they had their own chances.

Not to mention Garay was lucky to stay on after the hit on Kramer that would be illegal even in hockey.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street

Don't forget Moutinho! :laugh:

Say what you will about the last WC, but Messi wasn't the best Argentine there, it was his teammate from Barca.

Mascherano literally ripped his ******* to stop Robben from scoring. That alone is MVP worthy.

54546-Cheers-Toast-gif-OLQT.gif

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

Lol not even close. Masch was average until the Netherlands game. The 2nd most important person for Argentina was not even a player.

Yes, one tackle =MVP. Guess Eder was by far the mvp for Portugal.

The should have's apply to Germany as well, they had their own chances.

Not to mention Garay was lucky to stay on after the hit on Kramer that would be illegal even in hockey.

I think you mean kun for his incidental contact?either way that hilarious. Nuer could've easily been red carded for his knee on Higuain.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Bottler, walking bandaid 1, headless chicken,lazy underachiever(that doesn't actually play on the NT), walking bandaid 2.0, and cancer. Yup, just names. If the likes of Dybala were on the team last tournament they'd would have won.

Nani was better in Euro, as was a couple of other players but this doesn't play in the narrative you want to push. Hence, why you left out the actual bigger name players out of your post.

Overall, Nani was not better than CR7 in the Euros, but alas that isn't the point I was trying to get across.

Dybala guarantees a Copa America win? I see Chile is still getting massively underrated on this forum. Almost no credit to them - it's as if Higuain is the reason they've won.

Ronaldo plays with **** talent up front - yet won a major title. Messi gets to work with the best attackers in the world and hasn't. The talent level between what each player gets to work with isn't even close.

I still think Messi is the greatest in history, however. But the excuses he gets internationally are completely asinine.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Overall, Nani was not better than CR7 in the Euros, but alas that isn't the point I was trying to get across.

Dybala guarantees a Copa America win? I see Chile is still getting massively underrated on this forum. Almost no credit to them - it's as if Higuain is the reason they've won.

Ronaldo plays with **** talent up front - yet won a major title. Messi gets to work with the best attackers in the world and hasn't. The talent level between what each player gets to work with isn't even close.

I still think Messi is the greatest in history, however. But the excuses he gets internationally are completely asinine.

He did... the point you're trying to make is Ronaldo won with scrubs, which is clearly not the case.

just look at the chance he had against Chile, he missed and it was not due to great defending nor great goaltending...

**** talent that out played him. Greatest in name only, as I said their better attackers are either hurt or suck when it matters most. I'm not even sure, what the argument is anymore. I'll bow out.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
That's a tough one. R9 was way more talented. CR7 way more professional and better career overall.

Voted for the gajo (CR7).

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Find that post and quote it instead of flat out misrepresenting what was said.

Nobody called out Messi vs Juve because of "poor performance" - what was said was that some Barca players stepped up and played a bigger role in that final, Busquests and Suarez, for example.
Messi didn't "dominate", though noone said he didn't contribute.

The whole comparison was used when people refuse to give out any credit to Ronaldo for "not dominating" finals, when the guy has won 3 CL titles.
Or calling him out for the missed pen vs Chelsea, despite him splitting MoM honors with V.d.Saar accross all media and fan votes.

Now, noone seems to mention that Real and Ronaldo played Atletico in those two finals.
A side they managed to beat both times, but hardly dominated...
I mean, who really dominates Atletico.

To put it into perspective, the same side that Real managed to beat 4-1 in the CL finls (after an injury time equalizer), a game in which Ronaldo was ordinary, yes...
That same side came a week earlier to Barcelona to the last round of the La Liga, 3 points ahead of Barca and on much worse goal difference.

That match was just as big as the CL final.
All Barca had to do to win the title was beat Atletico on their own turf in the last La Liga round.
Yet that same Atletico team made Barca look completely pedestrian in that game, on Barca's home ground, and it ended 1-1, with Atletico winning the title.

So, why would you blame Ronaldo for somehow not "dominating" Atletico, while not appyling the same logic to Messi a week earlier?

Correct. You didn't call him poor. Fair enough. Still you laughably said that Rakitic and Suarez carried Barça the last time they played a CL Final. No matter how you cut that it's not only A) wrong, but it's also B) completely ignoring Messi's Final performance in a discussion of Final performances assuming you're not talking about that tournament as a whole which would be even worse. Add to that the fact that you still have yet to even mention the likes of Neymar, who for me was Man of the Match, or even Iniesta. On top of that while I don't always agree with their ratings to a degree or their Man of the Match selection as is the case in that CL Final, Whoscored? has Messi as Man of the Match for that one. At the end of the day everything you've said about that Final adds up to a minimum of you're poor at actually picking out the best performances or more likely you didn't even watch the match. Take your pick.

To further illustrate the point you've not brought up the La Liga title deciding match against Atleti from a couple of years ago. Once again you've got it horribly wrong and haven't even mentioned the fact that Barça had a perfectly legit goal disallowed in that match. That goal would have won the match and Barça should have been league winners that season as a result. And to put it into further perspective considering this discussion, it was Messi who scored it.

Bringing up Atleti as an opponent in general is laughable considering the context of that final league match seeing as how that was a different Barça relative to today's but more importantly it's like not Barça were playing chopped liver sides the last CL (or any recent CL) they won. Go compare the runs to the Final from the last two CLs and then start going down that road if you so choose. And that's not to mention the roles of the players in question.

I laughed

So did. Out loud again in fact.

Why?

Because Ronaldo makes his clutch penalties while Missi bottles them?

I agree that's funny

Haven't you gotten the memo from our Cule friends? Messi is god and Ronaldo is strictly a product of his teammates.

No I automatically block colored glass memos

Laughing some more now.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
They say laughter makes your life longer.

I am happy to be contributing to you living a long and healthy life.

But seriously though, the case for Messi > Ronaldo is better than the opposite case, but saying that Ronaldo is a product of his teammates when Messi has been on the best team in the world, in large part due to him of course, for his entire pro career is little bit arrogant. Messi always has been in the system he LEARNED the pro game in with many many many word-class players around him. He was well-surrounded from the start.

Last edited:

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Correct. You didn't call him poor. Fair enough. Still you laughably said that Rakitic and Suarez carried Barça the last time they played a CL Final. No matter how you cut that it's not only A) wrong, but it's also B) completely ignoring Messi's Final performance in a discussion of Final performances assuming you're not talking about that tournament as a whole which would be even worse. Add to that the fact that you still have yet to even mention the likes of Neymar, who for me was Man of the Match, or even Iniesta. On top of that while I don't always agree with their ratings to a degree or their Man of the Match selection as is the case in that CL Final, Whoscored? has Messi as Man of the Match for that one. At the end of the day everything you've said about that Final adds up to a minimum of you're poor at actually picking out the best performances or more likely you didn't even watch the match. Take your pick.

Wow dude. Really. My point wasn't who the best players was, it was that Messi certainly didn't dominate or do it on his own, and on a team filled with world class players, sometimes the other guys have big games.
FWIW, Busquets won UEFA MoM. Suarez, Iniesta, Rakitic, Messi, all had good games.
(Messi's shot created the GWer)

Also, nice veiled insult there. ROFL

Bringing up Atleti as an opponent in general is laughable considering the context of that final league match seeing as how that was a different Barça relative to today's but more importantly it's like not Barça were playing chopped liver sides the last CL (or any recent CL) they won. Go compare the runs to the Final from the last two CLs and then start going down that road if you so choose. And that's not to mention the roles of the players in question.

What are you talking about?
"Different Barca relative to today"? So what? "Different Real compared to today" is in the comparison, so why not Barca. Both played the same team within a week's span, one won barely, the other failed to win on home ground.
Yet somehow it's portrayed by people that Ronaldo was somehow the ultimate no-show in the whole thing.

As for the runs to the Final, I don't need to look to know that Messi, the best player in the history, was great.
But the notion that the guy closest to him in every category is somehow put in the same tier as Ronaldo or Ronaldinho, the guy who holds the world record in goals in CL knockout stage matches, somehow gets questioned etc.

You don't seem to get it.
I'm not a particular fan of Barca or Real. In fact I've always liked Barca more.
And I'm the first to say that I enjoy watching Messi more, and that he is the best that's ever been.
But the whole thing with people clouded with hate describing Ronaldo as some sort of passenger who only gets by because his team serves him, etc., is completely ridiculous.

Jan 3, 2012
Are you people seriously arguing that "they went to the finals"?

Is this a joke?

NOBODY CARES ABOUT FIRST LOSER

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->