Who's the better Ronaldo, Brazilian or Portuguese?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Question is : do all time top players take care of their nails like Ronaldo ?

Cristiano-Ronaldo-se-vernit-les-ongles-de-pieds_exact1024x768_p.jpg

Cristiano-Ronaldo-se-vernit-les-ongles-de-pieds_exact1024x768_p.jpg

:laugh:
:biglaugh:

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Yet C. Ronaldo has been much more successful and obliterated Ronaldo's numbers in Primera Division. He is a more versatile player, providing much better defense. The legendary "Golden Generation" could not lead Portugal to similar success as C. Ronaldo did. Don't forget that he is also captain material. The personal accolades are very similar, although C. Ronaldo has to compete with Messi, one of the best players of all time.

Both played on stacked teams. Nevertheless, C. Ronaldo seemed even more outstanding to me, particularly in more important matches.

Gruß,
BSHH

Portugal won the Euro but Cristiano surely was not the reason why they won.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Ronaldo da Lima was more talented (and not just a bit).
Cristiano Ronaldo has had a better career easily.

I would take Ronaldo da Lima 10/10 times for a single match

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
There's no need to demolish, you do it by yourself.
ChRISTIANO is not a top 5 player.
I'm among those that believe MaradonNa's career was overrated, but he's a top 5 player. Pele also.
I believe Messi is, but Cristiano isn't.
He was never THE deciding factor for winning a CL nor a WC, nor a EL
Pele won several WC.
Maradona won a WC by being amazing for two weeks.
Messi has won several CL while being the driving force, especially in the final.

And that's only legacy. In terms or talent, he's also nowhere near top 5.
Cruyff, Platini, and several others were better players.

You know I hate Cristiano but his numbers make him a top-10 player of all time, probably top-5. I don't believe in talent he's a top-10 player though

Ar-too

Zealous Scrub
Jan 8, 2004
Columbus, OH
What do you want from a player? To make as much of his talent as possible. CR7 has done that, and perhaps even more.

It seems like for all the truth there is in saying that you can't use only numbers for this argument, some people are severely undervaluing the importance of goals in this discussion. CR7 scored at will before he even started playing forward at Madrid. The Man U attack hasn't been the same since he left.

When he left, there was even speculation that Nani might be able to give them a portion of what CR7 did because they had a similar skill set. What happened? We all know.

CR7 is a special talent, second only to Messi in this generation. There might be smarter players, or more talented players, or players with more skill, but none of them, apart from Messi, have accomplished what he's accomplished as consistently. And R9, during his generation, did not accomplish, or even come close to accomplishing the sorts of things CR7 has over the last 14 years.

Saying that you saw R9 play and he was better than CR7 is not the end of the argument. Players careers are made up of moments. CR7 may be a flat track bully, but he also has had great moments in big games and saved his team. The game against Hungary in Euro 16 is a good example. The WC qualifier against Sweden is another. Portugal isn't in those games to make it further in the competition without him.

Now, the real debate is who's worst haircut is worse? I say R9's haircut for the 2002 WC takes the cake, but CR7's mullet was truly awful.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
So CR's moment over his 14 year career are two goals against mighty Hungary and Sweden, while R's moments are dominating the WC on one foot.

And people are still saying those moments are comparable?
They're not.

R9 had the highest peak, Ronaldo had the better career.

Ar-too

Zealous Scrub
Jan 8, 2004
Columbus, OH
People want to say that CR7 did this or that because he was on this super talented team setup to help him.

Does this not apply to R9 and Brazil?

Jan 3, 2012
What did Messi ever do for Argentina?

CR7 atleast helped a bunch of scrubs win a euro

meanwhile messi cant win **** with a stacked team around him

CR7 has that going for him

He's top 5 imo

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France

He's top 5 imo
What did Ronaldo ever do in a CL final with Real?
Nothing.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
What did Ronaldo ever do in a CL final with Real?
Nothing.

Not true he buried a sick penalty against Atletico.

He also scored the decisive peno against Atletico to win the trophy.

He also was decisive with United in 2008.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
- Career : CR7
- Talent : R9

Yes R9 won the WC but overall his club career was plagued by lack of discipline and injuries

Exceptional talent though

If talent was the only criteria, Ronaldinho would be the goat imo

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Not true he buried a sick penalty against Atletico.

He also scored the decisive peno against Atletico to win the trophy.

He also was decisive with United in 2008.
Not sure if serious.
Ronaldo scored a penalty in after being up 3-1 in extra time.
And he missed one with United.

Surely, you are joking, right? :dunno:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

He's top 5 imo

Taken them to 3 straight finals after 24 years without one(not to mention Olympic gold). IN 2014 without him they don't get out of the group stages. Stacked in names only, Kun is always injured as is ADM. Midfield and defence is no where near sacked.

He took a bunch of scrubs? Really?:laugh: He was not their best player and arguably not even in the top 5.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
So since messi has lost three finals in a row does that mean we can now classify messi as a player that doesn't show up in big games? :sarcasm: This thread is ridiculous

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
So since messi has lost three finals in a row does that mean we can now classify messi as a player that doesn't show up in big games? :sarcasm: This thread is ridiculous

According to Evilo, yes.

And Ronaldo's 8 goals in 2002 classify him as better than both Messi and CR7 I guess.

It doesn't matter that Brazil played China, Turkey twice, Costa Rica, and even in the knockout rounds a very ordinary Belgium side and a very ordinary Kahn-led, Ballackless Germany.
It doesn't matter that the tournament was a complete disaster and some of the favorites got knocked out by atrocious reffing, and never got to meet Brazil.

Nope. R9 dominated the likes of China and Costa Rica and Belgium and Turkey.

48 goals in 34 goals in La Liga doesn't compare to that, dude.
Nor does being the world record holder in the number of goals in knockout rounds in CL.

Talent isn't only being able to do amazing stuff with the ball.
Skill-wise, yes, R9 was probably better. It doesn't matter though. CR7 anticipation of where to go, being always ready to finish or pass, finishing ability, drive to win...
Again, only Messi is better than that in the last forever.

And again, you can deny it all you want, but CR7 numbers are Lemieux-esque.
On a hockey forum, maybe that makes people realize how ridiculous this whole discussion is.
(and yes, Messi is the Gretzky in that comparison)

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Corto can't read apparently. Messi has shown up big in CL finals. CRonaldo has never shown up big in any final.
Ronaldo (ON ONE LEG, WHICH MEANS THE NOT PEAK RONALDO) dominated a WC. He didn't need to score against small teams and than disappear. No, he came up big all tournament.

xavi4life

Mr. Irreverent
Jun 30, 2007
Los Angeles

He's top 5 imo

He's taken Argentina to 3 major finals in the last 3 years. Portugal won the Euro without him and I argue they played much better AFTER HE LEFT THE PITCH.

But STATS and NUMBERS BRAH!

Last edited:

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
He's taken Argentina to 3 major finals in the last 3 years. Portugal won the Euro without him and I argue they played much better AFTER HE LEFT THE PITCH.

But STATS and NUMBERS BRAH!

And he's lost all three... So why bring up that argument when you bash on CR7 for sucking in finals? Obviously Messi is an incredible player, but for the most part I think it's safe to say that they both underachieve in international play.

xavi4life

Mr. Irreverent
Jun 30, 2007
Los Angeles
And he's lost all three... So why bring up that argument when you bash on CR7 for sucking in finals? Obviously Messi is an incredible player, but for the most part I think it's safe to say that they both underachieve in international play.

Because even making the finals for major tournaments is an accomplishment on it's own. TWICE they lost to penalties when they they outplayed Chile and they lost the WC final against Germany because Higuain is a ****ing choker. Maradona never scored in the WC final in 86 either.

Does Messi underachieve? Not for me, his teammates and coaches aren't to his level and they should be the ones to blame.

I could give a **** for the way Portugal won the Euro this past summer. The whole tournament sucked except for Iceland and Hungary doing much better than anyone anticipated.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Because even making the finals for major tournaments is an accomplishment on it's own. TWICE they lost to penalties when they they outplayed Chile and they lost the WC final against Germany because Higuain is a ****ing choker. Maradona never scored in the WC final in 86 either.

Does Messi underachieve? Not for me, his teammates and coaches aren't to his level and they should be the ones to blame.

I could give a **** for the way Portugal won the Euro this past summer. The whole tournament sucked except for Iceland and Hungary doing much better than anyone anticipated.

Well you just explained the same issue that CR7 has had in his international career. And why is it that when CR7 "struggles" in finals it always his fault and all the blame is on him, but when Messi misses an important penalty or doesn't will his team to victory it's always the coaches fault or his teammates aren't good enough? Honestly it's a bunch of BS! Clearly Messi is one of if not the best players to live, and CR7 is just behind him in his career, but everyone loves to **** on him. It's the stupidest and most hypocritical crap ever.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
At the last WC Messi scored no goals and registered 1 assist in nearly 8 hours of Knockout stage football. I don't know in what galaxy that equates to "taking a team to the finals".

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
- Career : CR7
- Talent : R9

Yes R9 won the WC but overall his club career was plagued by lack of discipline and injuries

It seems to be a pattern with Brazilian players, they break down. There doesn't seem to be many that manage to dominate for 10 years+. Cafu sustained his high level for a long time same with Roberto Carlos. Rivaldo played until he was 40 but he was collecting paychecks in the Uzbekistan league or something.

Bible thumping Kaka would have been a good bet to last for a long time but his body gave up on him sadly.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street

Because Messi didn't choke?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad