Line Combos: Who's out when Frattin, Lupul AND Gardiner come back?

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Thing is, I've noticed when Gunnersson plays Caryle puts him on the left side. He sticks with their D on their strong side.

With that being said: Phaneuf, Gardiner are outr top4 LHD in my eyes.

I think they keep trying Holzer for a while longer.

Yes, I guess that is the current situation, but I don't like it.

Holzer doesn't have very good hockey sense or skating ability. He belongs on the bottom pairing.

If we want to make the playoffs and not get swept, we need an upgrade on RH defensemen.

FelixPotvin29

Oct 21, 2012
Yes, I guess that is the current situation, but I don't like it.

Holzer doesn't have very good hockey sense or skating ability. He belongs on the bottom pairing.

If we want to make the playoffs and not get swept, we need an upgrade on RH defensemen.

I agree. Maybe Gunnersson + Kulemin could get us that RH defenseman to play with Phaneuf?

Dion Phaneuf - XXXXX
Jake Gardiner - Mike Kostka
Mark Fraser - Cody Franson

extra: Holzer​

goonx

Nov 7, 2010
Wtf, kule and gunnersson?

I'm sorry but unless the package coming back is amazing I doubt they're going to be moved.

Kule and gunnersson are our most consistent players. Young and reliable. That RH better be damn good and young

IMO gardiner stays with marlies for the season until the time is right

I agree. Maybe Gunnersson + Kulemin could get us that RH defenseman to play with Phaneuf?

Dion Phaneuf - XXXXX
Jake Gardiner - Mike Kostka
Mark Fraser - Cody Franson

extra: Holzer​

SnipeCheeseAllDay

Jan 16, 2007
Toronto
Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
JVR - Kadri - Frattin
MacArthur - Grabovski - Kulemin
Komarov - McClement - Orr
-McLaren/Brown

Phaneuf - Gardiner
Fraser - Franson
Gunnarsson - Holzer
-Kostka

FelixPotvin29

Oct 21, 2012
Wtf, kule and gunnersson?

I'm sorry but unless the package coming back is amazing I doubt they're going to be moved.

Kule and gunnersson are our most consistent players. Young and reliable. That RH better be damn good and young

IMO gardiner stays with marlies for the season until the time is right

Well if he is going to be playing on the top pairing he would have to be pretty good.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Sent down: Holzer
Waivers/trade:Steckel Komisarek
Scratched:Brown/Mclaren/Orr

Lupul Bozak Kessel
Jvr Grabo Kulemin
Mac Kadri Frattin
Komarov Mclement Orr/Brown/Mclaren

Phaneuf Gunnarsson
Gardiner Kostka
Franson Fraser
Liles

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Sent down: Holzer
Waivers/trade:Steckel Komisarek
Scratched:Brown/Mclaren/Orr

Lupul Bozak Kessel
Jvr Grabo Kulemin
Mac Kadri Frattin
Komarov Mclement Orr/Brown/Mclaren

Phaneuf Gunnarsson
Gardiner Kostka
Franson Fraser
Liles

Swap Brown and Komisarek (only because I don't think they can wave Komi) and I would agree.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
JVR - Grabovski - Kulemin
MacArthur - Kadri - Frattin
Komarov - McClement - Orr
ex. McClaren, Brown/Steckel

Phanuef - Gunnarsson
Gardiner - Kostka
Fraser - Franson
ex. Liles

Komisarek + 1 of Brown/Steckel dealt. Holzer sent down. In a perfect world, might have to be Liles though.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
easiest thing at first to do at first would be:

JVR BOZAK KESSEL
LUPUL GRABOVSKY KULEMIN
MCCARTHUR KADRI FRATTIN
MCLAREN KOMAROV ORR

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
Yes because Lupul on the shutdown line makes total sense.

if grabovsky is a shutdown center then lupul can be a shutdown lw
in other words - can the shutdown concept, it isnt working - the line needs a scorer
the other 2 are getting a goal per game, that one is getting half that
plus youre not wrecking the chemistry of the other 2

goonx

Nov 7, 2010
Well if he is going to be playing on the top pairing he would have to be pretty good.

And who do you suppose we get for Kule and Gunnarsson? Young/Prime + top RD. Nonis stated that he's only willing to do young-young swap and not for declining players.

The only way I see us getting another top D with Kule and Gunnarsson is to develop our own. i.e. trade for Dumba, Hamilton, Reinhart now, flip a coin, wait 2-3 years.

Last edited:

member 147413

Yes because Lupul on the shutdown line makes total sense.

Neither does Grabovski... He's poor on the draws and runs around quite a bit. Here's a list of our forwards that have poor D-zone IQ.

Kessel
JVR (JVR is good on the PK because defense is the primary focus, but when it's 5v5 he seems to lose that defensive edge)
Lupul
Grabovski
Orr
Brown

Best scenario is we don't have 2 on 1 line, that's tough to do... Forced to stick JVR and Grabo together, not too bad though.

Clarke MacArthur 16:30min - Tyler Bozak 17:30min - Phil Kessel 19:30min
Joffrey Lupul (A) 18:30min - Nazem Kadri 16:00min - Matt Frattin 15:30min
James Van Riemsdyk 16:30min - Mikhail Grabovski 17:00min - Nikolai Kulemin 16:30min
Leo Komarov 9:30min - Jay Mcclement 11:30min (A) - Colton Orr 6:30min
Frazer McLaren - David Steckel

Forward time should add up to 180:00min (Time may decrease with Penalties)

Dion Phaneuf (C) 24:30min - Korbinian Holzer 20:00min
Jake Gardiner 20:30min - Carl Gunnarsson 20:00min
Mark Fraser 17:30min - Cody Franson 17:30min
Mike Kostka

Defense time should add up to 120:00min (Time may decrease with Penalties)

James Reimer
Ben Scrivens

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
This would be the lineup I'd go with if the Leafs are 100% healthy, and Gardiner is back with the team and playing well:

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
JVR - Grabo - Kulemin
MacArthur - Kadri - Frattin
Komarov - McClement - McLaren

Phaneuf - Kostka
Gardiner - Gunnarsson
Fraser - Franson

Reimer
Scrivens

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Huh? Gunnarsson and Liles both shoot left.

right which is why neither makes sense as a partner for Phaneuf under Carlyles system....his point i think is even though some rightys may be worse than Liles overall (ahem Kostka and Holzer) they aren't competing for the same lineup spots given Carlyles proclivity to play guys on their strong sides defensively.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
right which is why neither makes sense as a partner for Phaneuf under Carlyles system....his point i think is even though some rightys may be worse than Liles overall (ahem Kostka and Holzer) they aren't competing for the same lineup spots given Carlyles proclivity to play guys on their strong sides defensively.
That's a decent argument, but he said "That's why Liles came out for Gunnarson." To me that implies that Liles was dropped and Gunnarsson brought in because Liles is a lefty and Gunnarsson is a righty, when they actually both shoot left. If he meant what you're saying, then fair enough, but that's definitely not how I read that post.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
lefty defenders (Phaneuf,Gunnarson,Frasier,Liles.....and Gardiner)...Rightys (Holzer,Kostka,Franson,Komisarek).....internal battle on both sides....not really with eachother...only so many combinations given Carlyle plays them exclusively on their strong side. So if Gunnarson goes in one of liles,Dion, or Frasier need to come out. Given their play to that point it was unlikely.

SpeakerForTheDead

Aug 2, 2005
Brampton/Chicago
That's a decent argument, but he said "That's why Liles came out for Gunnarson." To me that implies that Liles was dropped and Gunnarsson brought in because Liles is a lefty and Gunnarsson is a righty, when they actually both shoot left. If he meant what you're saying, then fair enough, but that's definitely not how I read that post.
I meant they both shoot left, thats why Liles, a lefty, came out when Gunnar, a lefty, was ready to play again. When Gunnarson was ready to play, one of Phaneuf, Liles or Fraser was going to be taken out. Phaneuf obviously isn't going to sit and Fraser has been very good within his role. So, Liles was the odd man out.

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
Kostka needs to be out. He hasn't done anything spectacular. Phaneuf isn't going to come out, franson and fraser deserve to stay, and holzer has played great and not so great.

Gunnarson isn't 100% so he should come out too. Until gardiner is up, komi and liles should be in. Komi will probably be traded after so gards can take his place.

Frattin is coming back before lupul so IMO:
Jvr-bozak-kessel
Kulie-grabo-komarov
Frattin-kadri-mac
Mclaren-mcclement-orr/brown

You can switch mac and leo, but we haven't seen frattin with mac and mac has been playing so well with kadri and the two are building chemistry so I'd try the 3 together. But if it doesn't work we already know frattin-kadri-komarov will produce. Mac might be able to get the second line back to what it used to be, hopefully.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
JVR/Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
MacArthur - Grabovski - Kulemin
JVR/Lupul - Kadri - Frattin
Komarov - McClement - Brown/Mclaren/Orr

Phaneuf - Gunnarsson
Gardiner - Kostka
Franson - Fraser

Reimer
Scrivens

We could try and run three scoring lines this way with our fourth being a shutdown line (Assuming we give Brown this slot.) Would be my line up but I feel like Carlyle will have something different.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
easiest thing at first to do at first would be:

JVR BOZAK KESSEL
LUPUL GRABOVSKY KULEMIN
MCCARTHUR KADRI FRATTIN
MCLAREN KOMAROV ORR

Call me crazy but I don't see RC sticking Komorov in the press box

Edit. Didn't even see him there at C.

Well this makes even less sense.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Frattin is still out a week (and he said he is being optimistic)
Lupul likely another 2 weeks at least

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad