Line Combos: Who's out when Frattin, Lupul AND Gardiner come back?

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
lefty defenders (Phaneuf,Gunnarson,Frasier,Liles.....and Gardiner)...Rightys (Holzer,Kostka,Franson,Komisarek).....internal battle on both sides....not really with eachother...only so many combinations given Carlyle plays them exclusively on their strong side. So if Gunnarson goes in one of liles,Dion, or Frasier need to come out. Given their play to that point it was unlikely.

Interesting observation. This would explain a lot of the defensive pairings. Eg. Why Phaneuf is not paired with Gunnar and why his partners to date have been Kostka and Holzer. Perhaps why they have not brought up Gardiner for Holzer, etc.

SpeakerForTheDead

Aug 2, 2005
Brampton/Chicago
I also think another thing the team should consider is getting a lefty centre beside Kessel. Its a lot easier for a left handed player to pass to a righty then a right-handed Bozak to make those same passes. I think it could potentially make the difference in a few plays per game just giving the centre or Kessel that extra half second to not have to readjust.

The same applies with Grabovski and Kulemin both being left-handed.

For this reason alone, I would try switching Grabovski and Bozak just to see if it works.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
JVR-Grabo-Kulemin
Komorov-Kadri-Frattin
Brown-McClemment-Orr

spares- Steckel/Mclaren

Dion-Kostka
Gardiner-Gunnar
Franson-Fraser

spares- Liles

call up-Holzer

Reimer
Scrivens

Trade Macarthur Connolly and Komisarek

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
4th line i meant as:

orr mcclement komarov
whatever...

i dont think its a given that lupul and kessel are reunited
what they accomplished last yr was with a very loosy goosy outscore your mistakes win 4-3 or 5-4

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
JVR - Kadri - Frattin
Komarov - Grabovski - Kulemin
McLaren - McClement - Brown
Orr

Phaneuf - Gunnarsson
Gardiner - Kostka
Franson - Fraser
Liles

Reimer
Scrivens

Trade MacArthur/Steckel/Komisarek.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Can't really see McLaren sitting, he's done everything they've asked and then some. Brown is useless, great heart, but it amounts to nothing.

Brownie seems to have lost a step this season. I wouldn't be surprised if he is moved with the way carlyle has been using Orr and Mclaren

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
VanRyk - Kadri - Frattin
MacA - Grabo - Kuly
Komarov - McClem - Orr
(McClaren - Steckel)

Phaneuf - Gunnar
Gardiner - Kostka
Fraser - Franson
(Rielly/Holzer)

Reimer
Scrivens​

OUT: Brown, Liles, Komisarek

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
VanRyk - Kadri - Frattin
MacA - Grabo - Kuly
Komarov - McClem - Orr
(McClaren - Steckel)

Phaneuf - Gunnar
Gardiner - Kostka
Fraser - Franson
(Rielly/Holzer)

Reimer
Scrivens​

OUT: Brown, Liles, Komisarek

Do like...except Rielly being in there.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
James Mirtle ‏@mirtle

With Toronto at roster limit and not waiving anyone today, options are only to send down Holzer/Komarov/Frattin really. Holzer most likely.

Kevin McGran ‏@kevin_mcgran

@mirtle or Frattin for "conditioning"

Me

Maybe a trade too if only a small one.

Last edited:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Official Roster Crunch Thread

There's obviously much talk about when we'll call up Gardiner....but with Frattin on the verge of returning, the leafs are going to be forced to make some roster decisions now.

There's only five leafs that can be demoted without clearing waivers....Kadri, Frattin, Komarov, Holzer, Scrivens.

Scrivens is obviously not an option, because we'd have to call up another goalie anyways.

Kadri is obviously not an option, because he's the best player on the team.

Frattin could be an option I guess, but as the team's leading PPG player, that would be silly.

Komarov could be an option, but I don't think they'll want to be sending him down.

Holzer is the obvious option, because he's probably our weakest defenseman at this point.

If the Leafs choose to demote Holzer, then their roster will be full....and they won't be able to call up Gardiner without either waiving or trading some players.

The Leafs that are most expendable in terms of waiving or trading for picks are....Brown, McClaren, Steckel, Liles, Komisarek.

Komisarek could be an option unless his NMC is still in effect...I have heard that he may no longer have an NMC....can anyone confirm if that's true? If he doesn't have a NMC, he's the obvious option.

Liles is too good to waive. He'd have to be traded and the time might not be right yet.

Steckel could be waived or traded but then the Leafs don't have an injury replacement center....so I doubt he's the guy.

McClaren or Brown would be the most obvious waiver wire material....and of the two, I'd suspect that McClaren with his true heavyweight ability and solid play would not be the guy, so Brown would be the guy we'd waive (or maybe trade for a late, late pick).

I'm going to go ahead and guess that the immediate move will be Holzer sent down when Frattin returns.

That will leave the Leafs roster-tied, and unable to call up Gardiner without trading or waiving another player......so which player is going to be moved, and will he be traded or waived?

Or are the Leafs just going to keep Gardiner down there for the time being and wait it out?

getyourselfsomerest

Jul 22, 2011
If Carlyle was planning to just not play Komisarek no matter what then Nonis should've used the accelerated buyout on him. Holzer has been awful, Kostka has been below average, Gunnar is half-injured, yet Liles and Komisarek sit anyway. Trade them for picks.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Frattin is no longer an option - he has to go through waivers if he is sent down as a result of games played I believe.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Carlyle likes the big tough guys so I don't see either Brown or McLaren waived/traded.
I think Liles will be dealt, Holzer sent down and Steckel waived

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Assuming no immediate trades.

Holzer sent down or Steckel waived to make room for Frattin.
Holzer sent down or Brown waived to make room for Lupul
If they want to call up Gardiner whichever of the three above is left, gets moved.

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
Send Holzer down. Send Kostka down. Call up Gardiner.

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
MacArthur - Kadri - Frattin
vanRiemsdyk - Grabovski - Kulemin
McLaren - McClemment - Orr
Steckel/Brown

Phaneuf - Gunnarsson
Gardiner - Liles
Fraser - Franson
Komisarek

Reimer
Scrivens

Ad