Line Combos: Who's our backup goalie and bottom 6 forwards for the 2019-2020 season?

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
GR says Varlamov, Lehner would be our next choices after Bob. If that doesn't work, we're f***ed. I know we were interested in Cam Talbot before he was traded from NYR. I wonder if we would still give him a shot. Maybe it was the Oilers who were bad, not him.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
GR says Varlamov, Lehner would be our next choices after Bob. If that doesn't work, we're ****ed. I know we were interested in Cam Talbot before he was traded from NYR. I wonder if we would still give him a shot. Maybe it was the Oilers who were bad, not him.
If Lehner is well mentally now (seems to be) that could be a sneaky good option, but I don't know why the Islanders wouldn't re-sign him and he seems very happy there, so I doubt that's a realistic plan.

...so in other words, if Varlamov does stay in Colorado we don't have a good plan B? Sounds fun.

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
If Lehner is well mentally now (seems to be) that could be a sneaky good option, but I don't know why the Islanders wouldn't re-sign him and he seems very happy there, so I doubt that's a realistic plan.

...so in other words, if Varlamov does stay in Colorado we don't have a good plan B? Sounds fun.

Seems that way. I guess we could trade for someone, but not even sure who is available. Jake Allen? Showed some flash a couple years ago but now they have Binnington. Not ideal either way. Or we could get a vet stopgap to give Montembeault a couple more years to dev and backup.. Khudobin...Elliot? Again, not what we want probably. Seems like Bobrovsky is going to be very important.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013

Bob, Lehner, Varlamov, Kuemper, Brossoit, Halak, Campbell, McElhinney, Elliott, Howard, Khudobin.

There are plenty of options, some more appealing than others and some are more unpredictable than others. So I wouldn't say that there is no good plan B.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Doubt Varlamov goes anywhere

Doubt Lehner would leave either. Why would Halak? Unless he demands a bigger contract....and talk about unpredictable...he is it.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Doubt Varlamov goes anywhere

Doubt Lehner would leave either. Why would Halak? Unless he demands a bigger contract....and talk about unpredictable...he is it.

Lehner might stay in NY, if I were him I'd look for a payday where ever that is. It might be his only chance. The Islanders have Sorokin coming over in 2020 so I don't know if they'll want to spend a lot on Lehner. It's likely that Varlamov and Lehner stay put, in which case only Carolina and Columbus are the other teams that would go for Bob.

Halak is under contract, but he could be traded. Also, he is good when he doesn't have to play 50 games. That's not ideal, for us, but it would be an improvement on either Luongo or Reimer.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
If there’s even one other team that legitimately wants Bob, then we aren’t getting him.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Bob, Lehner, Varlamov, Kuemper, Brossoit, Halak, Campbell, McElhinney, Elliott, Howard, Khudobin.

There are plenty of options, some more appealing than others and some are more unpredictable than others. So I wouldn't say that there is no good plan B.
If we don't sign Bob:
Varlamov, Lehner probably staying where they are; Howard talked about staying too
The others are backups or 1B goalies - some of them even excellent in that role but nobody left on the list is a true starter (or at least not proven).

So yes there are options, but if Varlamov and Lehner are plan B, then I'm curious about plan C if we don't get Bob because "plan B" doesn't seem very likely to me at the moment.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
You are forgetting Quick. He's not likely to stay in LA since both Campbell and Petersen are better than him but the Cats run at risk of acquiring another Reimer due to Quick's current stats. The Panthers doesn't need a goalie with +$10mil price tag because I would reckon that the brass is banking on either Monty or Bednard to rise to the occasion when they are two-three years older.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
You are forgetting Quick. He's not likely to stay in LA since both Campbell and Petersen are better than him but the Cats run at risk of acquiring another Reimer due to Quick's current stats. The Panthers doesn't need a goalie with +$10mil price tag because I would reckon that the brass is banking on either Monty or Bednard to rise to the occasion when they are two-three years older.
I think he’d be more like another Luongo. When healthy, one of the best. When injured, one of the Lu’s.

Reimer is just never solid on a consistent basis.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I think he’d be more like another Luongo. When healthy, one of the best. When injured, one of the Lu’s.

Reimer is just never solid on a consistent basis.

Stats-wise he's on par with Bobby Rovsky so the mgmt can easily base the decision on that he's just playing for a bad team which is the same case for Lumbus.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
What type of idiot/horse whisperer activities or clairvoyance you'd want to see from a coach?
I don’t know, maybe stuff like “throw a check in your own zone from time to time” and “do your best, please, to cover the man in front of our own goalie” and “try your hardest not to give up a third period lead”.

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
What are some realistic options for our top4 D acquisition? Who should we be targeting? I'll lay out some criteria that we're probably looking for:
1. Experienced/veteran presence, i.e. not taking a shot on another pysyk or upside prospect.
2. Defensive/shutdown dman to round out our offensive top 3.
3. Someone who won't cost us a core player
4. Western conference (not a requirement, but more likely to happen in a trade)

Some options that might fit (not an end-all be all list, just to get the discussion started): Edler (ufa), Byfuglien or one of the winnipeg trio, Manson, Hjalmersson, or ....maybe bring back J-Bo ::duck and cover::

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
What are some realistic options for our top4 D acquisition? Who should we be targeting? I'll lay out some criteria that we're probably looking for:
1. Experienced/veteran presence, i.e. not taking a shot on another pysyk or upside prospect.
2. Defensive/shutdown dman to round out our offensive top 3.
3. Someone who won't cost us a core player
4. Western conference (not a requirement, but more likely to happen in a trade)

Some options that might fit (not an end-all be all list, just to get the discussion started): Edler (ufa), Byfuglien or one of the winnipeg trio, Manson, Hjalmersson, or ....maybe bring back J-Bo ::duck and cover::

Its Manson for me because he ticks off most if not all of your boxes and ANA is a team that could actually use our 2019 1st round pick. Teams like WPG (Trouba) and CAR (Pesce) wont be as willing to have the main piece be a 1st round pick. Also Manson can be exposed in expansion draft if need be. He doesnt have any NTC/NMC, has 3 yrs left at a solid caphit and LOVES to hit and get physical.

Offer up Denisenko first out of the big 3 prospects if need be but feels like CAR doesnt even want to trade Pesce with his progression and WPG will want a solid D prospect back for Trouba.

Last edited:
Reactions: BeezKnees

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
Its Manson for me because he ticks off most if not all of your boxes and ANA is a team that could actually use our 2019 1st round pick. Teams like WPG (Trouba) and CAR (Pesce) wont be as willing to have the main piece be a 1st round pick. Also Manson can be exposed in expansion draft if need be. He doesnt have any NTC/NMC, has 3 yrs left at a solid caphit and LOVES to hit and get physical.

Offer up Denisenko first out of the big 3 prospects if need be but feels like CAR doesnt even want to trade Pesce with his progression and WPG will want a solid D prospect back for Trouba.

Agree, I'd be happy with Manson. With Winnipeg though, it looks like they're pretty tight up against the cap with Laine, Connor, Trouba, and Myers as UFA/RFAs this year. So I'm thinking they'll be forced to shake things up, whether they want to or not. Byfuglien has 2 more years at 7.6 million, and Tallon loves him. I could see us going for that, and Winnipeg being ok with getting rid of the cap hit. The more I think about it, Byfuglien is my top choice. We'd get an excellent 2-way player, cup winner, good locker room guy, physical, and 2 years is decent term for his age without tying us up.

Last edited:

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Agree, I'd be happy with Manson. With Winnipeg though, it looks like they're pretty tight up against the cap with Laine, Connor, Trouba, and Myers as UFA/RFAs this year. So I'm thinking they'll be forced to shake things up, whether they want to or not. Byfuglien has 3 more years at 7 million, and Tallon loves him. I could see us going for that, and Winnipeg being ok with getting rid of the cap hit. The more I think about it, Byfuglien is my top choice. We'd get an excellent 2-way player, cup winner, good locker room guy, physical, and 3 years is decent term for his age without tying us up too long term.

I'd love BUFF and campaigned for him here last year. Only thing that complicates things is if both Myers walks and Trouba wont re-sign, forcing WPG's hand in trading him while leaving them with no top 4 RD.

I've said for a while that we should try a 3 way trade with two western teams. Doesnt make any eastern teams better.

WPG - Pietroangelo
FLA - Trouba
STL - FLA 1st, Pysyk and one of WPGs better D/F prospects

Pietro will be 31years old so doubt he will get a huge caphit but will get 7yrs of term and hopefully WPG would be able to afford it.
Also with STL likely making the playoffs, they will send their 2019 1st this year to BUF for the ROR trade so they would be willing to get a 1st back

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
A quick probability calculation, if I did it right, for a team to play 25 years and only make playoffs 5 or less (5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0) times....about 0.2%.

In other words, it doesn’t happen by chance. It happens because you suck. You really really suck.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Big Buff would definitely be on Tallon's short list.

SC winner, character, veteran... all the stuff this team needs. Not sure if he's available. Same goes with Hjalmarsson.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
I'd love BUFF and campaigned for him here last year. Only thing that complicates things is if both Myers walks and Trouba wont re-sign, forcing WPG's hand in trading him while leaving them with no top 4 RD.

I've said for a while that we should try a 3 way trade with two western teams. Doesnt make any eastern teams better.

WPG - Pietroangelo
FLA - Trouba
STL - FLA 1st, Pysyk and one of WPGs better D/F prospects

Pietro will be 31years old so doubt he will get a huge caphit but will get 7yrs of term and hopefully WPG would be able to afford it.
Also with STL likely making the playoffs, they will send their 2019 1st this year to BUF for the ROR trade so they would be willing to get a 1st back
Why would STL do that? They want to win now and would most likely prefer to have Trouba over picks and prospects.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad