Line Combos: Who's our backup goalie and bottom 6 forwards for the 2019-2020 season?

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
If marner gets 10, the maple leafs will have over 39mil invested in their top4 if I remember from the last time I posted.

Barkov, huberdeau, Trocheck, Dadonov, Hoffman, those 5 next year will add up to 25.75 before hoff and dads need new contracts. Add panarin would make that incredible top six 35.75-36.25mil. Keep both hoff and dadonov. Borg and vatrano on the 3rd, Hawryluk, sheahan, sceviour on the 4th. Get another cheap option either internally for the 3rd (prospect) or resign Brouwer or mcginn to a cheap contract. Brown and weegar and co are cheap 3rd liners. Reimer buyout or trade will free up money. Luongo ltir this off-season or next. Add one top-4 D and either move matheson and play Pysyk or play matheson and trade Pysyk. We have a rare opportunity to put together a really strong squad next year. Do it

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Huberdeau - Barkov - Hoffman
- Huberdeau and Barkov are too good to break up, Hoffman is our best shooter so why not give him all the passing he can handle? Hoffman may end up becoming our own rental but maybe when LU retires along with another $2 million cap increase, we can cut some corners on the 4th line and offer Hoffman a longer term deal with less AAV?

Dadonov - Borgstrom - Panarin

- I think Panarin is his own line driver where Borgstrom and Dadonov can be good complimentary pieces for him. Obviously the Russians know each other well and allows Borgstrom to be insulated by two veterans. Hoping Panarin can spark Dadonov of last year and Borgstrom could probably put up decent numbers being the trailer on the play and continuing to be a 2 way C.

Vatrano - Trocheck - Hawryluk

-This becomes a solid checking line for us, all 3 are wrecking balls, can skate and like to shoot the puck. Trocheck can still be a decent playmaker and he usually skates it into the O-zone and looks to pass it out front all the time. FV and JH seem to drive to the net 24/7. Trocheck may feel slighted but winning cures all, may help shock him into his former glory of 2015-16

Ginner - Sheahan - Brouwer

- They would all have to take sweetheart deals but this could be one of the best 4th lines we've had in a while. Scevioiur just isn't cutting it anymore imo and can be replaced by Brouwer.

Matheson - Ekblad

- Matheson can skate the puck out of our zone, has the wheels to make up for Ekblad when he pinches and vica versa. Ekblad's skating IS getting better but Boog can let Ekblad run wild on the PP more, he needs to remain a 2 way guy 5 on 5. Matheson has the skill and skating to become a top pairing guy, just needs to pull it together.

Yandle - Manson

- Yandle can probably use a slight reduction in 5 on 5 minutes as he starts to get in his mid 30's, he's always going to be our #1 PPQB and rack up points. Manson brings a physical element and hopefully will cover up for Yandle's inconsistency in our own end. Manson isn't have the greatest year in ANA but has been solid the 4 years prior. Has 3 yrs left @ $4.1 million and can be exposed if we go 7-3-1 in expansion

McCoshen - Weegar/Brown

- McCoshen is a decent stopgap while Gildon or Stillman are ready. Just don't have a ton of confidence in Ian being here long term. We kind of know what we have with Weegar and is fine on the bottom pairing. Brown is pretty solid, absolutely no offense but he knows his role and hasn't looked out of place in his17 games.

Bob
Lu/Monty
- If Lu is healthy and wants to continue, let him play 15 games and get Monty 5-10 as well. Bob comes in and hopefully brings us consistent top 10 goaltending for the next 5-6 years.
Lu can always take maintenance days and that's when Monty swoops in who can still slide down to AHL (waiver exempt)

Boughner can easily tinker with chemistry but feel these are well balanced and bring a different element to each line. Could easily switch Borgstrom and Trocheck if the Artist stumbles. The Russians may gel with Barkov better as well.

****Reimer + 2020 2nd + Hunt/Malgin is traded to OTT for 2021 3rd round pick
Manson becomes a Panther in exchange for 2019 1st + Pysyk + 2020 2nd OR 2020 3rd (both FLA and COL)****

All looks good, except Hoffman doesn't really click with Barkov and Huberdeau imo.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
I'll let @klabob run the numbers if we can re-sign one of Dadonov or Hoffman with Bob, Panarin and a top 4 D like Manson ($4.1 million) added.
I wouldn't be too worried about after next season. It works - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
I'm unsure how realistic it is for the Ducks to take on Reimer, but I just wanted to see how it would work if he's gone.

After next year, we'd have about 15,5M in Cap space to re-sign: Hoffman, Dadonov, Borgstrom, Brouwer and Brown. Luongo could also retire, which would save us 3.6M in cap if we get Monty up.
So without Luongo that would be 19.1M in cap space, we could keep them all and if we can't it's because Borgstrom is being awesome which would be great news!

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
I wouldn't be too worried about after next season. It works - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
I'm unsure how realistic it is for the Ducks to take on Reimer, but I just wanted to see how it would work if he's gone.

After next year, we'd have about 15,5M in Cap space to re-sign: Hoffman, Dadonov, Borgstrom, Brouwer and Brown. Luongo could also retire, which would save us 3.6M in cap if we get Monty up.
So without Luongo that would be 19.1M in cap space, we could keep them all and if we can't it's because Borgstrom is being awesome which would be great news!

Without moving some pieces, it doesnt work next season, if we are signing Bob and Panarin, and getting a Dman.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I'll let @klabob run the numbers if we can re-sign one of Dadonov or Hoffman with Bob, Panarin and a top 4 D like Manson ($4.1 million) added.
PB ran the math (as have I), Hoffman needs to be moved to get a dman. Even trading Pysyk won't help. As for Reimer, there is absolutely no chance he's moved unretained. The only way Florida can keep Hoffman is if they get Lu to retire.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Without moving some pieces, it doesnt work next season, if we are signing Bob and Panarin, and getting a Dman.
Obviously, we are not going to have 3 goalies...
We also just need to send Pysyk away which should be fairly easy considering the lack of RHD in the league. We'd also be trading for one, so sending him back is no biggy. If we do that it works with plenty of room to spare.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
We also just need to send Pysyk away which should be fairly easy considering the lack of RHD in the league. We'd also be trading for one, so sending him back is no biggy. If we do that it works with plenty of room to spare.

The numbers I came up with on the previous page were generous, and without some other RFAs, like Monty for example. With those numbers, and Monty signed, we'd be over the cap by at least $4 million. We would need Lou to retire, or Reimer traded, without any salary retention, in order just to get under the cap, and then we would have to get creative when looking to upgrade the D. Its going to be tough without getting with of Hoffman.

Reactions: ucanthanzalthetruth

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Respectfully, I have no idea how you foresee a way to keep Hoffman, sign Panarin and Bobrovsky, and acquire a top 4 dman. Even trading Reimer unretained (impossible) and moving Pysyk would have Florida well over.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Here, it even works with buying out Luongo and Reimer: Doubters - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
We can trade Pysyk. He wouldnt have to be bought out. People will trade for him even without salary going the other way.

I think we can trade Reimer too, we would just have to pay a price. We do have an overabundance of picks. Maybe we retain.

Now call me crazy, but I doubt Tallon buys out Luongo. He has earned the right to not be treated that way.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Here, it even works with buying out Luongo and Reimer: Doubters - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

You cant buy out Lou, Reimer, and Pysyk...that would be disastrous for us. The dead cap space the season after next would cost us both Hoffman and Dadonov. Lou is either going to retire/LTIR, or stay next year; NO WAY does he get traded. That means we will have to deal with Reimer, either by trade or buyout. Trading him will be tough without retaining salary, but maybe we can do it by adding a pick and/or prospect, as previously stated. Even so, its going to take creativity that I really dont know if Talon has in him.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
They're not buying out Lu lol. He's coming back, that's a salary you need to add.

Edit: I would also add that only 8 million for Bob is very generous.
I dont know about that.

He wants to be "the highest paid" goalie right? Carey Price is 10.5 in Montreal. If Montreal is equal to Ottawa in taxes, going by the stone contract it was said that 9.5=13 mil in Ottawa give or take. Thats a 3.5 difference.

Nevada is the same tax situation as Florida. So 7 million would be roughly equal to Carey Price. At 8, he would technically be the highest paid goalie in the league, though it doesnt look that way in terms of cap hit.

I think we can get it done at 8 ish.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
They're not buying out Lu lol. He's coming back, that's a salary you need to add.

Edit: I would also add that only 8 million for Bob is very generous.
lmao, look at the other one I made then if you want one keeping Luongo. It works - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
I don't understand how you can think that Reimer and Pysyk are unmovable. Bolland was traded and Gudbranson just got traded lmao. If you don't think 8M and a NMC gets him, I think you are overestimating his market. If you trade Pysyk and Reimer you can pay him 9.5M and it still fits under the Cap

Imo, this is Bob's market (in bracket the amount more he'd pay in taxes per year for a 8M salary); Panthers, Avs (300K), NYI (980K), Carolina (450K), Van (1,2M), Buff (650K), Columbus (1M).

He also shares the market with Lehner, Varlamov
There are also less trustworthy options; McElhinney, Elliott, Howard
Possible trade target; Brossoit, Halak, Khudobin

All of these guys have had a better season than Bob and if he goes to Buffalo, one of their goalies would become available. If he goes to Van, Markstrom would be available. So I don't think there will be a big bidding war for him and I don't even mind if we miss on him and get someone else.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
lmao, look at the other one I made then if you want one keeping Luongo. It works - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
I don't understand how you can think that Reimer and Pysyk are unmovable. Bolland was traded and Gudbranson just got traded lmao. If you don't think 8M and a NMC gets him, I think you are overestimating his market. If you trade Pysyk and Reimer you can pay him 9.5M and it still fits under the Cap

Imo, this is Bob's market (in bracket the amount more he'd pay in taxes per year for a 8M salary); Panthers, Avs (300K), NYI (980K), Carolina (450K), Van (1,2M), Buff (650K), Columbus (1M).

He also shares the market with Lehner, Varlamov
There are also less trustworthy options; McElhinney, Elliott, Howard
Possible trade target; Brossoit, Halak, Khudobin

All of these guys have had a better season than Bob and if he goes to Buffalo, one of their goalies would become available. If he goes to Van, Markstrom would be available. So I don't think there will be a big bidding war for him and I don't even mind if we miss on him and get someone else.

I dont know why you are getting so up in arms about this, its just not as easy as you make it seem. And your trades are very NHL 19ish. Anaheim, who will have around $13 million in cap space, and needs to fill six roster spots, will not take Reimer and Pysyk for Manson, even if we add a 1st in two years.

One team that might take Pysyk or Reimer would be the Senators. They are going to be around $27 million under the cap floor, with spots open on the roster. They could go after one of those two, or maybe take on a Hossa from Chicago. Keep an eye out on them being creative over the summer.

Here is what I came up with, to get us to where we need to be:

PBs Roster - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
I dont know why you are getting so up in arms about this, its just not as easy as you make it seem. And your trades are very NHL 19ish. Anaheim, who will have around $13 million in cap space, and needs to fill six roster spots, will not take Reimer and Pysyk for Manson, even if we add a 1st in two years.

One team that might take Pysyk or Reimer would be the Senators. They are going to be around $27 million under the cap floor, with spots open on the roster. They could go after one of those two, or maybe take on a Hossa from Chicago. Keep an eye out on them being creative over the summer.

Here is what I came up with, to get us to where we need to be:

PBs Roster - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

wet---button-1547077693250.jpg

Though I dont think Sheahan gets that much.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
So both @klabob and @pb1300 of your mock ups have us at least $12-13 million in cap space at the end of next year.
The main RFA is Borgstrom (2 x $1.75 million at max?) and the rest will be 800k to 925k to Brown and Repo.
Lu retiring adds $4.45 million to the $8-9 million left over, cap will go up another $2 to 3 million.
The main UFA's are Dadonov and Hoffman. Both can get 5 year x 6.5 million? They're both going to be nearing 32 years old by the time the contracts kick in.
Am I missing something? It's been -18c for the last 2 weeks, my brain may need to thaw.

Manson's deal ends one year before Yandle's deal, which ends same year Barkov and Trocheck are due. One of Trocheck or Huberdeau would be moved by that point to re-sign Barkov and other notable RFA's.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
So both @klabob and @pb1300 of your mock ups have us at least $12-13 million in cap space at the end of next year.
The main RFA is Borgstrom (2 x $1.75 million at max?) and the rest will be 800k to 925k to Brown and Repo.
Lu retiring adds $4.45 million to the $8-9 million left over, cap will go up another $2 to 3 million.
The main UFA's are Dadonov and Hoffman. Both can get 5 year x 6.5 million? They're both going to be nearing 32 years old by this time the contracts kick in.
Am I missing something? It's been -18c for the last 2 weeks, my brain may need to thaw.

Manson's deal ends one year before Yandle's deal, which ends same year Barkov and Trocheck are due. One of Trocheck or Huberdeau would be moved by that point to re-sign Barkov and other notable RFA's.

Yeah, I mentioned it earlier, we could have the money to keep both Dadonov and Hoffman after next season. We will find out this summer, because we cant re-sign Hoffman until after July 1st. We will see where his camp is at, and whether they want to re-sign with us. An indication either way will help Dale with the other decisions he needs to make.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Yeah, I mentioned it earlier, we could have the money to keep both Dadonov and Hoffman after next season. We will find out this summer, because we cant re-sign Hoffman until after July 1st. We will see where his camp is at, and whether they want to re-sign with us. An indication either way will help Dale with the other decisions he needs to make.

Let's show Hoffman what a playoff crowd in FLA looks like. That'd be a great start. :nod:
Thanks for crunching the numbers guys @klabob .

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
All looks good, except Hoffman doesn't really click with Barkov and Huberdeau imo.

You think they can create more chemistry with more time together? Hoffman tries to do too much sometimes and skates himself into a turnover, that's why I don't think he's good with Trocheck, both want to control play. When Hoff is used right and put in prime scoring areas, he will score. Barkov and Huberdeau just need to hypnotize the opposition and find the open sniper. Wishful thinking on my part I guess.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
No point arguing but there is no chance Reimer is traded without retaining at least 2.5 aav. It is more beneficial to buy him out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad