Line Combos: Who's our backup goalie and bottom 6 forwards for the 2019-2020 season?

TheImpatientPanther

Florida Flukin Panthers > LTIR Maple Leafs
Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Feel this will be an ongoing topic through the rest of this year and into the off-season.

So how would you address both questions?

Is it Lu, Montembeault, Reimer or another RFA/UFA backup?

Do/Can we re-sign Sheahan and one/both of Brouwer/McGinn?
Is Sceviour still here next year?
Is it mostly promotion of our prospects/AHL guys?

Discuss!

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Hopefully we sign Bobrovsky and we can have Lu or Reimer backup, don't care which one.

Sheahan I definitely would wanna keep.

Same for Brouwer. McGinn I'd like at around $1.5M. Hawrlyuk has been good.

So I guess.

Borgstrom, Hawrlyuk, Sheahan, Brouwer, McGinn, Tippett? or UFA (Panik, Raffl, Connolly, etc.)

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Here is where I think what the lines could be mostly. Im just unsure about a couple of spots:

Panarin - Barky - Dadonov (The quite obvious line)
Huberdeau - Trocheck - Vatrano (Those wing spots tend to be black holes when centered by Trocheck, but Vatrano seems to be a top six winger going forward)
_______ - Borgstrom - Tippett (Owen might not be ready, but in order for Borgstrom to succeed, he needs to play with more talented wingers)
Sceviour - Sheahan - Hawryluk
Brouwer

Matheson - Ekblad
Yandle - _______
Brown - McCoshen
Weegar

Bob
Lou (Bob seems to be well conditioned, so I think Lou could be great as a backup getting 25 or so games)

I think Hoffman is moved for top five help, and Reimer either sent out, or bought out. I like Pysyk on the 3rd pairing, but those youngsters seem to have that line cemented, and we could use Pysyk's salary elsewhere. Id love Manson or Trouba to fill that RD spot, but I just dont know if Hoffman, our 1st+ will get it done.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I mean there's no chance Montembeault is here because either Luongo retires or Reimer is bought out. They would not buy out Reimer if Lu retires. But I feel like it's pretty likely Lu is coming back, zero rumblings he's not...

I think Hoffman is gone for defensive help if they sign Panarin, and I think Pysyk will be gone because he's overpaid for what he is and the blue line will be crowded, and Dale in general is purging the team of Joyce moves.

Brouwer re-signs, McGinn walks.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
I think Reimer gets traded. We will pay a price for it (a 2nd) but Dale will try it.

If I had a choice between Brouw or Gin, I want Gin, but only at sceviour price.

I hope we somehow keep Hoffman and upgrade the D still (Tyler Myers?).

Sheahan is a keeper. He is nice. Here is what I want

Huberdeau Barkov Vatrano
Panarin Trocheck Dadonov
Hawk Borg Hoffman
McGinn Sheahan Sceviour

Matheson Ekblad
Yandle Myers
Cosh Brown/Weegs

Last edited:
Reactions: drktmplr12

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
I think Reimer gets traded. We will pay a price for it (a 2nd) but Dale will try it.

If I had a choice between Brouw or Gin, I want Gin, but only at sceviour price.

I hope we somehow keep Hoffman and upgrade the D still (Tyler Myers?).

Sheahan is a keeper. He is nice.

Hoffman still here, and a UFA Dman is my hope, with the Columbus duo of course.

Panarin - Barkov - Dadonov
Huberdeau - Trocheck - Hoffman

Nobody rivals that top six in the league. Then you give Borgstrom a 20 goal winger in Vatrano, and that pretty much sets up our top nine. But to really upgrade the D, Hoffman will probably have to be moved.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA

Nobody rivals that top six in the league. Then you give Borgstrom a 20 goal winger in Vatrano, and that pretty much sets up our top nine. But to really upgrade the D, Hoffman will probably have to be moved.
I am against Huberdeau with Trocheck. It's really death.

I will be 100% honest here. I think Panarin and Dadonov should play with Borgstrom over Trocheck. I think there is more utility there.

Then do Hawk Trocheck Hoffman. Huberdeau and Barkov are just too perfect to split and you dont need to overload that top line really.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

That line looks good on paper. But Trocheck plays better with players like Hawk and McGinn imo.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Here we are, being all in. It works salary wise, but it's a tad unrealistic to get Subban for picks+Pysyk+prospects.

Panarin-Barkov-Dadonov
Huberdeau-Borgstrom-Hoffman
Vatrano-Trocheck-Tippett (So fast, so much shooting)
Hawk-Lammikko-Sceviour

Yandle-Ekblad
Matheson-Subban
Weegar-Brown

The Cop and the Mounty

Reactions: Pragmatic Panther

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
That line looks good on paper. But Trocheck plays better with players like Hawk and McGinn imo.

I agree, which is why I was thinking that maybe Vatrano could fit on that line. He brings some grit to the line, which seems to be what works well for a Trocheck winger. That would also allow you to drop Hoffman to Borgstrom’s line, which would lessen the burden of the top six.

Reactions: I am not exposed

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
With all this talk about Hoffman, I think next season will be a telling one for Trocheck. He has been on a downward trajectory the past couple of years 5v5, and we are having problems finding wingers for him. He really needs to use his teammates more often, and stop this him alone against the opposition mentality.

Reactions: I am not exposed

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
I am against Huberdeau with Trocheck. It's really death.

I will be 100% honest here. I think Panarin and Dadonov should play with Borgstrom over Trocheck. I think there is more utility there.

Then do Hawk Trocheck Hoffman. Huberdeau and Barkov are just too perfect to split and you dont need to overload that top line really.

You could go:

Huby - Barkov - Hoffman
Panarin - Borgstrom - Dadonov
Hawryluk - Trocheck - Vatrano
Sceviour - Sheahan - Brouwer/McCann

That might just be our best option, and best wing options for Tro.

Reactions: Pumaconcolorcoryi

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Here we are, being all in. It works salary wise, but it's a tad unrealistic to get Subban for picks+Pysyk+prospects.

Panarin-Barkov-Dadonov
Huberdeau-Borgstrom-Hoffman
Vatrano-Trocheck-Tippett (So fast, so much shooting)
Hawk-Lammikko-Sceviour

Yandle-Ekblad
Matheson-Subban
Weegar-Brown

The Cop and the Mounty

P.K?

Wow..ballsy. why would Nashville even let him go? Who is the cop?

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
P.K?

Wow..ballsy. why would Nashville even let him go? Who is the cop?
He's paid 9M and he's their 4th best dman. He's also having a bit of a rough year and they might want to clear some Cap space in advance of Josi and Granlund's new deals.
Like I said, very unlikely, especially without sending Hoffman over.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
He's paid 9M and he's their 4th best dman. He's also having a bit of a rough year and they might want to clear some Cap space in advance of Josi and Granlund's new deals.
Like I said, very unlikely, especially without sending Hoffman over.

We don’t need another offensive Dman. Trouba, Pesce, or Manson would be who I’d go after.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
If we sign panarin and hoff gets traded because of it:

Panarin-Barkov-Dadonov
Huberdeau-Trocheck-Vatrano
???-Borgstrom-???
Sceviour-Sheahan-Hawryluk

I think maybe resign McGinn if under 2mil, I like his grit and we need some. And then possibly Tippett, malgin could of he’s still here.

Yandle-Ekblad
Matheson-???
McCoshen/Stillman-Brown/Weegar

I assume Pysyk gets traded, and Reimer gets traded/bought out to make way for bobrovsky

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
If we sign Bob and Panarin (Hoff stays as well)

Hu-Barkov-Panarin
Hoffman-Tro-Dadanov
Vatrano-Borg-Tippett
Jayce-Sheehan-Brouwer
Scev/Lammiko

Bob
Lu

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
We don’t need another offensive Dman. Trouba, Pesce, or Manson would be who I’d go after.
Okay, but Subban has been just as good or better defensively than Trouba for several years. Manson has been bad defensively this season, it might be because of the total collapse of the team, but he isn't even playing that much better defensively than the other dmen on the team.

NSH 1819 Subban With-or-Without You
WPG 1819 Trouba With-or-Without You
ANA 1819 Manson With-or-Without You

Last edited:

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Unpopular opinion Tro is the top 6 forward moved for top 4 dman. Hoffman and Panarin more than make up for his loss.
Ehhh, have you considered our center depth if that happened?
Barkov
Borgstrom
???
Sheahan I guess?

We'd be totally f***ed if Barkov was hurt, not to mention we don't know how good Borg will be next season. Maybe a year from now if Borgstrom progresses very well, but for now a hard pass from me.

Last edited by a moderator:

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
I want Dadonov gone but with potentially Panarin coming in I don't see that happening. He was embarrassing last night and this team is fighting for it's last breaths this season.

Also, Hoffman is such a stud I don't know how you just let him leave your team. Would be a big mistake IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->