Line Combos: Who's our backup goalie and bottom 6 forwards for the 2019-2020 season?

Dnigly13

Jun 21, 2017
Hu-Barky-Panarin
Hawk-Tro-Vetrano
Hoffman-Borg-Tippett
McGinn-Sheehan-scev
Brower-Lammiko

Yandle-Ek
Matt - sign or trade
McChoshen - Brown
Weeger

Bob
Lu or Reimer or Sammy

Anakinsky

Dec 21, 2018
With all this talk about Hoffman, I think next season will be a telling one for Trocheck. He has been on a downward trajectory the past couple of years 5v5, and we are having problems finding wingers for him. He really needs to use his teammates more often, and stop this him alone against the opposition mentality.

His injuries didnt help the cause, I love trocheck but can not argue your point. I have also noticed hoffman passing more and looking for open guys vs taking the shot. Becoming more diverse.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Keeping all top-6 (assuming we sign panarin) would be the dream scenario. But if we bring bob in as well then that means the D remains unchanged

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
If we sign Bob and Panarin (Hoff stays as well)

Hu-Barkov-Panarin
Hoffman-Tro-Dadanov
Vatrano-Borg-Tippett
Jayce-Sheehan-Brouwer
Scev/Lammiko

Bob
Lu
giphy.gif

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

Huberdeau - Barkov - Hoffman
- Huberdeau and Barkov are too good to break up, Hoffman is our best shooter so why not give him all the passing he can handle? Hoffman may end up becoming our own rental but maybe when LU retires along with another $2 million cap increase, we can cut some corners on the 4th line and offer Hoffman a longer term deal with less AAV?

Dadonov - Borgstrom - Panarin

- I think Panarin is his own line driver where Borgstrom and Dadonov can be good complimentary pieces for him. Obviously the Russians know each other well and allows Borgstrom to be insulated by two veterans. Hoping Panarin can spark Dadonov of last year and Borgstrom could probably put up decent numbers being the trailer on the play and continuing to be a 2 way C.

Vatrano - Trocheck - Hawryluk

-This becomes a solid checking line for us, all 3 are wrecking balls, can skate and like to shoot the puck. Trocheck can still be a decent playmaker and he usually skates it into the O-zone and looks to pass it out front all the time. FV and JH seem to drive to the net 24/7. Trocheck may feel slighted but winning cures all, may help shock him into his former glory of 2015-16

Ginner - Sheahan - Brouwer

- They would all have to take sweetheart deals but this could be one of the best 4th lines we've had in a while. Scevioiur just isn't cutting it anymore imo and can be replaced by Brouwer.

Matheson - Ekblad

- Matheson can skate the puck out of our zone, has the wheels to make up for Ekblad when he pinches and vica versa. Ekblad's skating IS getting better but Boog can let Ekblad run wild on the PP more, he needs to remain a 2 way guy 5 on 5. Matheson has the skill and skating to become a top pairing guy, just needs to pull it together.

Yandle - Manson

- Yandle can probably use a slight reduction in 5 on 5 minutes as he starts to get in his mid 30's, he's always going to be our #1 PPQB and rack up points. Manson brings a physical element and hopefully will cover up for Yandle's inconsistency in our own end. Manson isn't have the greatest year in ANA but has been solid the 4 years prior. Has 3 yrs left @ $4.1 million and can be exposed if we go 7-3-1 in expansion

McCoshen - Weegar/Brown

- McCoshen is a decent stopgap while Gildon or Stillman are ready. Just don't have a ton of confidence in Ian being here long term. We kind of know what we have with Weegar and is fine on the bottom pairing. Brown is pretty solid, absolutely no offense but he knows his role and hasn't looked out of place in his17 games.

Bob
Lu/Monty
- If Lu is healthy and wants to continue, let him play 15 games and get Monty 5-10 as well. Bob comes in and hopefully brings us consistent top 10 goaltending for the next 5-6 years.
Lu can always take maintenance days and that's when Monty swoops in who can still slide down to AHL (waiver exempt)

Boughner can easily tinker with chemistry but feel these are well balanced and bring a different element to each line. Could easily switch Borgstrom and Trocheck if the Artist stumbles. The Russians may gel with Barkov better as well.

****Reimer + 2020 2nd + Hunt/Malgin is traded to OTT for 2021 3rd round pick
Manson becomes a Panther in exchange for 2019 1st + Pysyk + 2020 2nd OR 2020 3rd (both FLA and COL)****

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
- Huberdeau and Barkov are too good to break up, Hoffman is our best shooter so why not give him all the passing he can handle? Hoffman may end up becoming our own rental but maybe when LU retires along with another $2 million cap increase, we can cut some corners on the 4th line and offer Hoffman a longer term deal with less AAV?

- I think Panarin is his own line driver where Borgstrom and Dadonov can be good complimentary pieces for him. Obviously the Russians know each other well and allows Borgstrom to be insulated by two veterans. Hoping Panarin can spark Dadonov of last year and Borgstrom could probably put up decent numbers being the trailer on the play and continuing to be a 2 way C.

-This becomes a solid checking line for us, all 3 are wrecking balls, can skate and like to shoot the puck. Trocheck can still be a decent playmaker and he usually skates it into the O-zone and looks to pass it out front all the time. FV and JH seem to drive to the net 24/7. Trocheck may feel slighted but winning cures all, may help shock him into his former glory of 2015-16

- They would all have to take sweetheart deals but this could be one of the best 4th lines we've had in a while. Scevioiur just isn't cutting it anymore imo and can be replaced by Brouwer.

Matheson - Ekblad

- Matheson can skate the puck out of our zone, has the wheels to make up for Ekblad when he pinches and vica versa. Ekblad's skating IS getting better but Boog can let Ekblad run wild on the PP more, he needs to remain a 2 way guy 5 on 5. Matheson has the skill and skating to become a top pairing guy, just needs to pull it together.

Yandle - Manson

- Yandle can probably use a slight reduction in 5 on 5 minutes as he starts to get in his mid 30's, he's always going to be our #1 PPQB and rack up points. Manson brings a physical element and hopefully will cover up for Yandle's inconsistency in our own end. Manson isn't have the greatest year in ANA but has been solid the 4 years prior. Has 3 yrs left @ $4.1 million and can be exposed if we go 7-3-1 in expansion

McCoshen - Weegar/Brown

- McCoshen is a decent stopgap while Gildon or Stillman are ready. Just don't have a ton of confidence in Ian being here long term. We kind of know what we have with Weegar and is fine on the bottom pairing. Brown is pretty solid, absolutely no offense but he knows his role and hasn't looked out of place in his17 games.

Bob
Lu/Monty
- If Lu is healthy and wants to continue, let him play 15 games and get Monty 5-10 as well. Bob comes in and hopefully brings us consistent top 10 goaltending for the next 5-6 years.
Lu can always take maintenance days and that's when Monty swoops in who can still slide down to AHL (waiver exempt)

Boughner can easily tinker with chemistry but feel these are well balanced and bring a different element to each line. Could easily switch Borgstrom and Trocheck if the Artist stumbles. The Russians may gel with Barkov better as well.

Manson becomes a Panther in exchange for 2019 1st + Pysyk + 2020 2nd OR 2020 3rd (both FLA and COL)****

Everything except Matheson on the first pair looks great

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006

Matheson - Ekblad

Yandle - Manson

McCoshen - Weegar/Brown

Bob
Lu/Monty

I agree with the personnel almost completely. Maybe not everyone’s position and a couple of alternatives but that will sort itself out.

One: Tippett might be ready next season.
Two: Not giving up on Scevior.
Three: I’d still find a new coach.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Everything except Matheson on the first pair looks great

I understand the doubt in MM but Yandle has played every game for a decade, he's gonna need some less minutes soon. Maybe Matheson watching from the pressbox will open his eyes, he must know it's been a disaster season in his own end, even if Boog is praising him as a "minute muncher/PK guy".

His offense is fine but could definitely skate the puck into the O-zone more and set up more plays, it's beautiful to watch him fly around the ice with confidence.
Just feel his skating is elite, more experience to finish the year will have him ready to be sheltered a bit by Ekblad.

I agree with the personnel almost completely. Maybe not everyone’s position and a couple of alternatives but that will sort itself out.

One: Tippett might be ready next season.
Two: Not giving up on Scevior.
Three: I’d still find a new coach.

Ya the lines can be juggled for sure, just my mock up if I was coach.

One: I'd love for Tippett to be on the team but just think he needs some AHL seasoning to get used to the big boys. Also is easily one of the first injury call-ups but think he'd help SPR more playing top 6 minutes over bottom 6 in FLA. Hoffman gives Tippett the year to continue to develop. If Tippett does make the team, Hawk will drop down to 4th and one of Ginner/Brouwer isn't re-signed.

Two: Can you explain this to me? He's nearing 30 and just has too many dry spells, Hawk and Brouwer have been way more noticeable in my eyes. Not a huge difference bewteen Brouwer and Sceviour so either or I'm fine with but with Brouwer being older, figured he would take a cheaper deal and Sheahan gets the Sceviour money

Three: I understand and have mentioned trying to sign Q with Bob bumped to Cap's spot if possible. Outside of Q, who would you bring in and don't you think the players and team would have a rough start again learning the new system/strategies/schemes?

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Two: Can you explain this to me? He's nearing 30 and just has too many dry spells, Hawk and Brouwer have been way more noticeable in my eyes. Not a huge difference bewteen Brouwer and Sceviour so either or I'm fine with but with Brouwer being older, figured he would take a cheaper deal and Sheahan gets the Sceviour money
Sceviour still has 2 years on his contract. What would you do with him?

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I understand the doubt in MM but Yandle has played every game for a decade, he's gonna need some less minutes soon. Maybe Matheson watching from the pressbox will open his eyes, he must know it's been a disaster season in his own end, even if Boog is praising him as a "minute muncher/PK guy".

His offense is fine but could definitely skate the puck into the O-zone more and set up more plays, it's beautiful to watch him fly around the ice with confidence.
Just feel his skating is elite, more experience to finish the year will have him ready to be sheltered a bit by Ekblad.

Ya the lines can be juggled for sure, just my mock up if I was coach.

One: I'd love for Tippett to be on the team but just think he needs some AHL seasoning to get used to the big boys. Also is easily one of the first injury call-ups but think he'd help SPR more playing top 6 minutes over bottom 6 in FLA. Hoffman gives Tippett the year to continue to develop. If Tippett does make the team, Hawk will drop down to 4th and one of Ginner/Brouwer isn't re-signed.

Three: I understand and have mentioned trying to sign Q with Bob bumped to Cap's spot if possible. Outside of Q, who would you bring in and don't you think the players and team would have a rough start again learning the new system/strategies/schemes?
I’m thinking Scevior still has term left AND he’s pretty skilled forechecker on the fourth line. He’s been injured lately, I think we aren’t seeing the best form now.

And I’d go after Q, make Boog the assistant, and give Jack the boot.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Sceviour still has 2 years on his contract. What would you do with him?

Trade him for more picks/prospects

I’m thinking Scevior still has term left AND he’s pretty skilled forechecker on the fourth line. He’s been injured lately, I think we aren’t seeing the best form now.

And I’d go after Q, make Boog the assistant, and give Jack the boot.

Brouwer just seems like more of a leader and leads the team in hits. I agree Sceviour hasnt been playing to his abilities with the injuries but never really understood the 2 year extension anyhow.

I'd be surprised if management would pay Q. He will want a Babcock like deal when his current contract is paid by CHI.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Hoff and dadonov still have 1 more year left at cheaper money. If we get panarin and bob I say keep both of them. Screw trading one, keep them for the season and make a run for once. Idc if one of them walks the following offseason if we actually get a nice playoff run for once. We don’t need any more picks and poor specs, which is what he’ll most likely return.

Reactions: KW

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017

Matheson - Ekblad

Yandle - Manson

McCoshen - Weegar/Brown

Bob
Lu/Monty

Love the forward lines, not so sure about the D - depends on how Matheson progresses.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Love the forward lines, not so sure about the D - depends on how Matheson progresses.

I dont think anyone is gonna like Matheson on the top pairing when any recent thoughts of him are what they are.

Boog has finally committed to breaking up #3 and #5 so just figured Matheson is already 20-21mins a game, if anything the minutes will stay the same but his competition would get way harder.

As always, the lines can be shuffled but we should have more faith in MM because management does giving him 8yrs. Remember just a year and a half ago when most were ready to "trade" Ekbust? Well he's turned his game around pretty well so we gotta hope MM can do the same. Hoping the time off will allow to get a different POV of things in our own end and will pay attention to the finer details of coverage and positioning in front of the net.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
I dont think anyone is gonna like Matheson on the top pairing when any recent thoughts of him are what they are.

Boog has finally committed to breaking up #3 and #5 so just figured Matheson is already 20-21mins a game, if anything the minutes will stay the same but his competition would get way harder.

As always, the lines can be shuffled but we should have more faith in MM because management does giving him 8yrs. Remember just a year and a half ago when most were ready to "trade" Ekbust? Well he's turned his game around pretty well so we gotta hope MM can do the same. Hoping the time off will allow to get a different POV of things in our own end and will pay attention to the finer details of coverage and positioning in front of the net.
I get what you're saying, but there's a big gap between giving up on Matheson (trading him for a bag of pucks) and trusting him to play first pairing.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I get what you're saying, but there's a big gap between giving up on Matheson (trading him for a bag of pucks) and trusting him to play first pairing.

No doubt, totally agree but if Boog is going to continue to split up Yandle and Ekblad, who would you pair with with Ekblad? A less experienced Weegar, Brown or McCoshen?

We all experienced Ekblads ups and downs learning the D-zone game, may have to do the same thing with Matheson. I think management feel Ekblad is experienced enough to be the man now and he can shelter other guys.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
No doubt, totally agree but if Boog is going to continue to split up Yandle and Ekblad, who would you pair with with Ekblad? A less experienced Weegar, Brown or McCoshen?

We all experienced Ekblads ups and downs learning the D-zone game, may have to do the same thing with Matheson. I think management feel Ekblad is experienced enough to be the man now and he can shelter other guys.
Ekblad-Matheson pairing has a big upside but coupled with the occasional oh crap. Depends what forward line is on; if it’s Barkov’s, both Ek and Math being offensive pinchers (resulting in 2-on-1 or breakaway) is less likely because of Barkov’s overall awareness. If it’s Tro’s.... I might just avoid having them on at the same time unless both Ek and Math get the message to play defense when Tro’s line is on.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Hoffman just doesn't seem plausible financially. How can they extend him and add a dman a fit under the cap, in addition to adding Bob and Panarin? Remember, if the Reims buy-out rumors are true that's 3.5 million in 2021.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Ekblad-Matheson pairing has a big upside but coupled with the occasional oh crap. Depends what forward line is on; if it’s Barkov’s, both Ek and Math being offensive pinchers (resulting in 2-on-1 or breakaway) is less likely because of Barkov’s overall awareness. If it’s Tro’s.... I might just avoid having them on at the same time unless both Ek and Math get the message to play defense when Tro’s line is on.

Exactly, good point. Boog will have to figure out a healthy balance of offense and defense on each line/pairing. Most contending teams have 3 scoring lines and have split up their best defensemen to get paired with a partner who plays an opposite style.

Youd assume we can have more offensive zone time with 3 well balanced forward lines so overall, all 3 D pairings will be used to their strengths.

Hoffman just doesn't seem plausible financially. How can they extend him and add a dman a fit under the cap, in addition to adding Bob and Panarin? Remember, if the Reims buy-out rumors are true that's 3.5 million in 2021.

Why is everyone so confident in the buying out of Reimer? You dont think we can add assets to him to unload his full cost? It's only 2 years and he's not a horrible backup for 20-25 games.

Only way we can re-sign Hoff is if Dadonov, Pysyk, Lu, Reimer are gone and we cut corners on the 4th line by rolling out ELC/AHL guys who should be ready by then. We may be hyping the Dadonov-Panarin bromance too much. Lots will depend on the growth of Borgstrom, Tippett, Heponiemi and the other forward prospects.

Sheahan on a 2 yr deal?
McGinn or Brouwer on 1 yr deal (McGinn may not get a big deal with having nearly the whole year off)

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017

Whoever we acquire in the offseason? No way Weegar, Brown or McCoshen should be on the first pairing.
It's a problem no doubt because you absolutely can't pair Matheson and Yandle, which would mean bumping one of them to third pairing which isn't ideal either - though I wouldn't have minded Matheson temporarily being demoted to 3rd pairing at times this year...
Like KW said, the Ekblad-Matheson pairing does have a big upside if Matheson can limit the brainfarts. Ask me again in October.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
$61.8 million cap hit
$83 million projected cap
$21.2 million cap space

Panarin - yr/$10 million AAV
Bob $8 - million AAV
Sheahan - $1.7 million AAV
Hawryluk - $1 million AAV
McCoshen - $1.3 million AAV
Weegar - $1.1 million AAV
Brouwer - $1.1 million AAV

$24.2 million total
$3 million over cap

Luongo $4.5 million cap hit
Reimer $3.7 million cap hit
Pysyk $2.7 million cap hit
Hoffman $5.2 million cap hit

Salary and picks/prospects will have to be moved if we want to upgrade the D. Our best bet would be to run with Bob and Monty, Lou goes to LTIR, and Reimer is traded, leaving us an additional $5.2 million in cap space. That Vatrano deal helped a bit. I honestly thought he'd get a hair above $3 million per.

The season after next, with what I project to be an $86 million cap, with the signings above, and without moving anyone atm, we will be around $14 million under, with Hoffman, Daddy, and Pysyk as our only UFAs, and Borgstrom as our main RFA.

Last edited:
Reactions: ucanthanzalthetruth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad