Line Combos: Who's our backup goalie and bottom 6 forwards for the 2019-2020 season?

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
No point arguing but there is no chance Reimer is traded without retaining at least 2.5 aav. It is more beneficial to buy him out.

Buying him out really hurts our cap situation the season after next. I think we can find a team to move him to, if we sweeten the offer. And like I said before, Ottawa is going to have to make moves just to get to the cap floor, so a Pysyk or Reimer trade could work for them.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Buying him out really hurts our cap situation the season after next. I think we can find a team to move him to, if we sweeten the offer. And like I said before, Ottawa is going to have to make moves just to get to the cap floor, so a Pysyk or Reimer trade could work for them.
True Ottawa is about the only team that could do it. As hes healthy teams have to pay him so no Bolland to Arizona type scenario will happen.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
True. Ottawas best strategy is to get 1st round picks by adding bad contracts, it would make sense. Melynk is nuts though so idk if he helps a "division rival"

How that team makes the cap floor is actually a really interesting story.

Ceci and White are the only ones they can overpay, the rest of their RFA's are $1 million players.
Nilsson is a UFA and not really playing good enough to earn a new deal
Condon is buried money, 1 yr left on his deal
Their 2 other AHL goalies only have 70-80 AHL games played combined

Reimer can lead the way with Anderson to a goal diff of -100 and a top 3 pick.
We are technically helping them :laugh:

Reactions: Boothinator

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Thoughts on our goaltending situation.
The Familiar

Nice read Bure!

The Markstrom piece hit home for me. That Montreal game along with the other 3-4 games in that 2011-12 season along with the 10 or so other games he played in 2012-13 had us all saying he was going to be special.
So confident in him, my very first post here, I thought he needed a 4-5 yr deal at $5 million or something close to that, took me a good 20 minutes to type up and was nervous to post it but ultimately did and then @SoupyFIN acknowledged my post (paraphrasing)

"That's the stupidest thing I've heard in a long while...."

:laugh: good times! Sad he never panned out but glad Soup was right and he wasn't given a silly deal. Getting Lu back was awesome!

Bure1096

Mar 6, 2007
Florida
Nice read Bure!

The Markstrom piece hit home for me. That Montreal game along with the other 3-4 games in that 2011-12 season along with the 10 or so other games he played in 2012-13 had us all saying he was going to be special.
So confident in him, my very first post here, I thought he needed a 4-5 yr deal at $5 million or something close to that, took me a good 20 minutes to type up and was nervous to post it but ultimately did and then @SoupyFIN acknowledged my post (paraphrasing)

:laugh: good times! Sad he never panned out but glad Soup was right and he wasn't given a silly deal. Getting Lu back was awesome!

:laugh:, thanks for reading! The hype around Markstrom was real, and I fear we are going to do the same with Monty.

You should have heard me in 2016, I wanted to give Ekblad a 20 year contract... Damn you Hendricks!

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
:laugh:, thanks for reading! The hype around Markstrom was real, and I fear we are going to do the same with Monty.

You should have heard me in 2016, I wanted to give Ekblad a 20 year contract... Damn you Hendricks!

As you said in the write-up, think they learned from that and will be patient with Sam. Surrounded by some good mentors in Lu and possibly Bob may elevate his game on and off the ice.

The Soupy effect for sure. All the injuries Ekblad has gone through, he's definitely taken some good strides in his defensive game. Needs to continue to work on skating and puck handling skills. He'd probably get more points if he was on the #1 PP unit but Yandle is legit the best QB in the league. Still think the last 3-4 years of his deal will look good. 23 years old, still has another level to hit.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
I dont know why you are getting so up in arms about this, its just not as easy as you make it seem. And your trades are very NHL 19ish. Anaheim, who will have around $13 million in cap space, and needs to fill six roster spots, will not take Reimer and Pysyk for Manson, even if we add a 1st in two years.
One team that might take Pysyk or Reimer would be the Senators. They are going to be around $27 million under the cap floor, with spots open on the roster. They could go after one of those two, or maybe take on a Hossa from Chicago. Keep an eye out on them being creative over the summer.
Here is what I came up with, to get us to where we need to be:
PBs Roster - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
It's pretty easy to make the numbers work. I'm not sure why you are all up in arms about the trade when the point of the exercise is to show that money wise we don't need to get rid of Hoffman to fit Panarin+Bob+RHD under the cap. Anaheim is already paying more in backup goalie than Reimer's salary and if they are trading Manson away for future it's because they are tanking. But then again, it really doesn't matter for this exercise.

No point arguing but there is no chance Reimer is traded without retaining at least 2.5 aav. It is more beneficial to buy him out.
Hopefully you mean down to 2.5 aav because you can't retain more than 50%.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
I see Lu retiring, so I guess Reimer.

I’d rather have Luongo backup next season, but his decision will ultimately determine what happens with Reimer and the goaltending in general. Either way, I think they try to move Reimer in a dump deal, if that fails, you have to think they’ll seriously consider buying him out. But if Luongo is indeed done, I would expect they will likely keep Reimer unless they can make a sensible trade.

I think it’s entirely possible that we end up with a completely different goaltending tandem next season when all is said and done, though. But again, this depends entirely on Luongo.

Reactions: Optimus Reim

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013

To be fair, Markstrom had 3(?) major knee injures in a short time that seemed to slow him down.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
The Reimer thread I created has garnered some interest from PHI, NYR, COL, and MON so far. NJ may have interest too, their goaltending is up in the air and they have cap room

Hopefully that will turn into real life and Tallon can rub Bergys shoulders and whisper a sweet sales pitch in his ear.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
The Reimer thread I created has garnered some interest from PHI, NYR, COL, and MON so far. NJ may have interest too, their goaltending is up in the air and they have cap room

Hopefully that will turn into real life and Tallon can rub Bergys shoulders and whisper a sweet sales pitch in his ear.
I wonder how likely it is that both Reimer and Lu are gone we'll go into next season with a completely different tandem?
I still like Brossoit though going with him as a n.1 would be very risky and who knows what the Jets would want for him.
*Sigh.* Can it be June/July already?

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I wonder how likely it is that both Reimer and Lu are gone we'll go into next season with a completely different tandem?
I still like Brossoit though going with him as a n.1 would be very risky and who knows what the Jets would want for him.
*Sigh.* Can it be June/July already?

Reimer is nearly 80-90% chance to move imo. IF Bob signs, I'd say 50% chance Lu isn't here for majority of season.
As much as we all love Lu and his will to continue, there may come a point in season end meetings and he has "surgery" if they can ink Bob. If Monty can't handle the promotion, you find out Lu has recovered in time to be the backup.

Or..

Driedger and Bednard would be the AHL crew and Monty will be the backup to Bob.
Bednard can slide to ECHL I'd assume, Monty drops down if we are in the playoffs, enter Lu, back healthy and they let him play some of the final regular season games to get in game shape. Bob and Lu are the playoff goalies.

The versatility of Monty being able to still slide between the two teams helps big time. Gotta think they're high on him and his skills but need to get him 4-5 games once we're officially eliminated, which Tallon should know is possible with a loss tomorrow. Think we're sniffing 6% playoff hopes right now, no need to delay Monty's chance.

As for Brossoit, some WPG fans were saying they may not even re-sign him, which is very odd to me.
Some were happen when I offered a 2nd/3rd.
They may not have the cap room Helly is locked up, LB may be arbitration eligible so we can use your idea of offer sheet or he comes here in a bigger deal with Trouba for our 2019 1st + pick/prospect + 2nd + Reimer.

Exactly 4 months to go to find out what the 2019-2020 roster will look like. Tick tock tick tock. I just need + weather, this winter can GTFO right now!

Last edited:
Reactions: letsgrowcactus

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC
Pardon my ignorance, but is Monty actually good?

I'll be honest, I don't know anything about him. But his stats in the AHL look pretty average.

Is there any reasons to believe that he can be a legit #2 in the NHL?

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Pardon my ignorance, but is Monty actually good?

I'll be honest, I don't know anything about him. But his stats in the AHL look pretty average.

Check his game log and his first 15 games or so when the team was gelling and had Borgstrom, Hawryluk and Hunt. Then check his stats mid December when those guys were promoted and the team started giving up 40+ shots nearly every night. No guy can take that many shots and succeed. Only one way to find out if he's ready no? Push him in the deep end and see if he can swim.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Hopefully. Just because he’s our top goaltending prospect doesn’t mean anything though. We all thought markstrom was the goalie of the future. Goalie prospects don’t mean anything until they prove it

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Nice read Bure!

:oops:

Way to welcome new members to the board Soup you jerk. :facepalm:

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Get a room eh? Jeez

:laugh:

Dont be casting stones now Puma...

wolverine.png

...we know what happens in your room :)

Ad