• Jake Paul

• Evander Kane

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Its amazing that is your response given the fact you quoted my post.
Is it not? close in tight, on skates, grabbing fabric. Very rarely do you get to throw all of your momentum into your punches. Head movement is pretty limited due to another guy legitimately grabbing you by the collar of your jersey.

Very few guys in the NHL actually throw technical punches. If you watch Lucic, he does.

Again, I'm not saying Paul wins. I'm saying it's not going to be the decapitation, ambulance ride, funeral that people think.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dingo

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Is it not? close in tight, on skates, grabbing fabric. Very rarely do you get to throw all of your momentum into your punches. Head movement is pretty limited due to another guy legitimately grabbing you by the collar of your jersey.

Very few guys in the NHL actually throw technical punches. If you watch Lucic, he does.

Again, I'm not saying Paul wins. I'm saying it's not going to be the decapitation, ambulance ride, funeral that people think.
The best example I can think of for hockey fighting vs boxing is Rick Rypien. He is very unique among NHL fighters for his technique, and I'm not sure if he was a trained boxer but he certainly appears to be.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
The best example I can think of for hockey fighting vs boxing is Rick Rypien. He is very unique among NHL fighters for his technique, and I'm not sure if he was a trained boxer but he certainly appears to be.
Right. That's a solid example, actually. He'd legit guard and use his head to weave. He'd protect his chin with one hand, too.

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

its josh

May 13, 2020
I can't get over these results.

I don't know if I'm disappointed as a hockey fan, or as an adult seeing how much youtubers influence kids.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
How old are you? If you’re older than me I can see why you’d think Jake Paul is some bozo clown, but he’s one of the most famous Internet personalities of the last decade. And if any sport was about to be pimped out, it was boxing, which has been becoming less and less popular with each passing generation.

Although after covid who knows. Maybe the NHL will just turn into different players fighting Jake Paul cardboard cutouts at centre ice if they figure anything out.
I know who Paul is. Him and Logan have some of the highest YouTube numbers (I don't even truly mind Logan, he's sort of like a modern Bam Magera, who I grow up watching - Jake though, I fully think he's a bozo).

And you make a pretty good point.
I still don't really see the mob involvement getting so far as to back Paul, explicitly, but 100% right about this is the way to modernize the sport and bring in new viewers, and I'd say it's been effective so far, with the Paul brothers, Nate Robinson, KSI, and AnEsonGib getting quite a bit of attention (like, a lot) for the sport, so far.

EDIT: Actually, to add to that, Mike Tyson Says Boxing Should Give a Belt to Logan and Jake Paul. That's going a little far!!! But, the intro paragraph makes a good point, like you're saying,
Heavyweight icon Mike Tyson believes that Jake Paul and his brother Logan Paul breathed new life into boxing when the sport was at its lowest.
I don't personally think superstardom is the endgame for Jake Paul, but I think it's good getting new blood into the sport.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Voted for Paul, but thats because I was misled into thinking he was an actual boxer and not just some lightly trained guy who got famous as a boxer for fighting other untrained people shorter and lighter than him.

Kane would wreck him.

Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Evander Kane is a fake tough guy. The height of his career was beating up another fake tough guy in Matt Cooke. Unless he got to train for a year before the fight, his boxing skills are very likely lacking compared to a guy who has been training for years now, and recently with a boxer like Sugar Shane Moseley. Jake Paul is infinitely hatable but that doesn't mean he'd be beaten in a ring by some fake tough guy hockey player who doesn't train in boxing.

Meh, Kane has stepped up and fought guys like Reaves and Chara. Lots of people dont like him (an your post really sounds like youre one of them), but hes got a really good track record for fighting considering hes a 30 goal scorer. His fight card has Reaves, Chara (who Kane instigated with), Gudbranson, and Deryk Engelland. You can call him a fake tough guy all you want but show me the video of you instigating a fight with Chara if you wanna do that on the internet lol.

There's a lot more to the sweet science than the 'lol Kane is bigger so he's gonna win!' crowd seem to think.

I think the science is, Kane is a pro athlete who has a legitimate extensive boxing history and hes fighting a guy who has beat up a couple sub 5'9" youtube star/basketball player with no boxing history at all.

Kane has shown plenty of times he can take a punch, hes got ridiculouly good conditioning and he has a history of boxing. We're not talking about a guy who went to kick boxing classes for fitness at his local YMCA. We're talking about the son of a boxer whose cousin fought in the Olympics and fought for the world heavyweight title. Kane grew up boxing with guys like that, while still being bigger and having proven he can actually take a punch unlike the little guys Paul has fought before.

I dont even like Evander Kane but its hilarious how people think Paul would win because hes fought a bunch of guys he has a half foot reach advantage with no fighting background on.

Reactions: The Nuge

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I can't get over these results.

I don't know if I'm disappointed as a hockey fan, or as an adult seeing how much youtubers influence kids.

Sadly my age showed as my first thought was "Who the bloody hell is Jake Paul"?

LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: its josh

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I'm looking up Evander Kane boxing training and can't seem to find much. I think we're kind of shooting blindly on how good of a boxer Kane is.

"His name is Evander!"
"He hits a heavy bag in the summer!"
"He fights in the NHL!" - Honestly, he doesn't fight frequently. He has like 20 fights in 12 NHL seasons.

Milan Lucic at least has a boxing match you could watch.

Paul obviously hasn't fought anyone of note, or anyone good which is 100% true, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: EdJovanovski

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
I'd give Jake Paul a small advantage. Evander is in his prime as a professional athlete, he's a little bigger, and he has some familiarity with boxing. But it's different when you actually do dedicated training for a specific endeavor. As much as Jake is a jerk, I think he takes his training more seriously than he lets on. And he seems to be in decent shape too. Be a fun fight to watch. Hope it happens.

Next up, Jake Paul versus Conor McGregor.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
It would depend on how much boxing training Kane has been doing lately and how serious etc. with what trainers? A lot of factors. I know he's dabbled in the past, but unless he's regularly working with a decent trainer and team you people would be surprised at what Jake Paul (I hate the guy, he's a piece of trash) would do to Kane right now.

Again I don't know about Kane's training situation or how often he boxes at a gym, so until I know that hard to say what would happen. Being athletic and tough don't mean a whole lot when you spar/fight someone who is training with high quality coaches and sparring partners and is relatively around the same size as you.

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
Evander Kane boxes. He’s been boxing since he was a child... his father is a boxer too.

I think Kane wins.
isnt he quite a bit bigger than Paul, too?

Never mind, not really is the answer. 6’2 210 for Kane. Paul is 6’2 and cut to 189, which means he is likely 200+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad