Speculation: Who will not be back on the roster for 2018/19

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
@Bob E:

-Vesalainen can't crack the Jets line up. He'll play on the Moose.
-Perreault doesn't play centre anymore. You're on here enough to know he can't take face-offs due to back issues
-you created a 24 man roster. Bring it down to 23
-Kulikov's in the press box? He's a hell of a defencemen when healthy. Niku & Morrow aren't taking his spot
-Dano isn't a UFA
MP doesn’t play C anymore, despite his past

statsny should be back
just made it to the wcf with the jets and gets to play with some really good wingers
I see him signing a 2 year contract.

mp doesn't play centre so you're theory goes right out the window

Maurice clearly doesn't like Perrault at C as he was never able to find a combo that worked, but he definitely can play the position. Might be the Jets best faceoff man, so not sure where all this comes from.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't think we see a lot of changes to the roster. I think it is a huge long shot for Stastny to stick around. After the excitement of a playoff run cools and some discussions with his agent, he will look for the same thing all UFA's north of 30 look for. Term and maximum $. Jets have their own upcoming UFA vet and captain they will be locking up. Also don't see Myers going anywhere. Even if Trouba signs, Myers is a True North guy and plays out his final year. Can't have enough good defenseman.

I also think Petan gets a short term deal to see if he can make the jump to the NHL. Also like to see the Jets spend a season letting Rosie develop into a middle 6 center behind Scheifele. This would go a long way for the growth of the organization. Also think Mason gets moved and we sign a cheap backup and Morrissey is bridged to shove everything under a $80 M cap, allowing for Laine's and Connor's performance bonuses.

Gone: Dano, Matthias, Hendricks and Stastny.

Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine (time for their future top line to play together)
Connor-Little-Wheeler (Little has a bounce back year with straight ahead speed on the wings)
MP-Rosie-Armia (Rosie develops as a center with 2 defensively responsible wingers who can kick in offense)
Copp-Lowry-Tanev (Shut down 4th who can match up against other team's top players when needed)
Petan-X (cheap vet a step up from Hendricks)

Morrissey-Trouba
Kulikov-Buff
Morrow-Myers
Niku-Poolman (one sticks and the other is on the Moose, but both get lots of NHL games with injuries)

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
2018 to 2020 is a full NMC. It's a 14 team modified NTC after that, directly from Capfriendly.

Trading a player is a hypothetical. Trading a player with a NMC is a hypothetical hypothetical. Little will be here for at least 2 years.
Moving Little out would be the obvious answer, but you're probably correct. All indications are that he's here for the duration.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Maurice clearly doesn't like Perrault at C as he was never able to find a combo that worked, but he definitely can play the position. Might be the Jets best faceoff man, so not sure where all this comes from.
MP was quoted that he prefers playing wing over center and that taking a lot of draws was attributed to causing some back problems.

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
Stastny already said in a interview yesterday that he would love to come back but Chevy has some important guys to resign and didn't know if it was going to work that he would be able to resign with the Jets . To me the only way Chevy resigns Stastny is if Little is traded , there isn't enough cap room for both .

Sure there is. Just have to move Perreault and Myers. That buys us another season and may have to make a move next summer or just hold off until Littles NMC ends. Or if Trouba wants like 8+ move him and keep Myers. Trouba is not good enough for the money he likely wants. So many dumb mistakes and giveaways by him
This series.

The thing about NMC is if they kindly asked Little if he would consider waiving it for some certain teams, I bet a guy like Little would do it. I would rather keep him for another couple seasons though. especially if Stats has no intention of coming back which I think is the case

JetBrett

May 18, 2018
All the talk about Statsny coming back on a short term deal seem like a pipe dream to me. I'm sure he had fun playing here with the guys and going on the deep playoff run, but why would he accept a 1 or 2 year deal to come back?

At his age this could be his last big contract and I'm sure there's some team that will offer him 5-6 mil over 4-5 years probably. I don't think it fits in with our plans to offer that nor should we.

Reactions: hudster

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
MP was quoted that he prefers playing wing over center and that taking a lot of draws was attributed to causing some back problems.
Ok, I didn't recall him talking about the back issues. In any case I think we can mostly agree he is better suited for the wing. His niche is the digging and grinding in corners as opposed to the playmaking etc.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't think we see a lot of changes to the roster. I think it is a huge long shot for Stastny to stick around. After the excitement of a playoff run cools and some discussions with his agent, he will look for the same thing all UFA's north of 30 look for. Term and maximum $. Jets have their own upcoming UFA vet and captain they will be locking up. Also don't see Myers going anywhere. Even if Trouba signs, Myers is a True North guy and plays out his final year. Can't have enough good defenseman.

I also think Petan gets a short term deal to see if he can make the jump to the NHL. Also like to see the Jets spend a season letting Rosie develop into a middle 6 center behind Scheifele. This would go a long way for the growth of the organization. Also think Mason gets moved and we sign a cheap backup and Morrissey is bridged to shove everything under a $80 M cap, allowing for Laine's and Connor's performance bonuses.

Gone: Dano, Matthias, Hendricks and Stastny.

Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine (time for their future top line to play together)
Connor-Little-Wheeler (Little has a bounce back year with straight ahead speed on the wings)
MP-Rosie-Armia (Rosie develops as a center with 2 defensively responsible wingers who can kick in offense)
Copp-Lowry-Tanev (Shut down 4th who can match up against other team's top players when needed)
Petan-X (cheap vet a step up from Hendricks)

Morrissey-Trouba
Kulikov-Buff
Morrow-Myers
Niku-Poolman (one sticks and the other is on the Moose, but both get lots of NHL games with injuries)

Not sure Morrissey bridging will be enough to keep Myers if Trouba signs long term. Getting rid of Mason would help but given his year I would think we would have to retain salary in some capacity to move him and at that point it is pretty negligible. To keep Myers we would have to bridge and move Perrault imo and at that point it isn't worth it to me. He makes way too much for what he contributes, plus Moe overuses him.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Moving Little out would be the obvious answer, but you're probably correct. All indications are that he's here for the duration.

Seems to be a lot of the "What have you done for me lately" crowd with regards to Little and Statsney. Statsney is older and will likely want more money then what Little is making. It doesn't seem like a good bet to spend 6 million on an aging player.

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
Stastny should be given a blank cheque to stay. His leadership and offensive capabilities cannot be ignored.

An Edmonton fan prposed they offer Nurse, Best, and 2018 1st rounder for Morrissey and Ehlers
He was quite invisible in the Vegas series.

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
Tell you this much.. If Wheeler walks... Next off-season... Move 1. Fire Chevy.. Cuz ain't no way he walks.. You can get a great return for him if hes unwilling to be reasonable... If you don't, you have failed and deserve to be fired .

Completely agree with this. Nothing slams the window shut faster than losing Wheeler for nothing. If he’s not under contract by the start of next season, I hope he’s traded.

Edit: by “under contract”, I meant extended.

Ares

May 8, 2018
Stastny already said in a interview yesterday that he would love to come back but Chevy has some important guys to resign and didn't know if it was going to work that he would be able to resign with the Jets . To me the only way Chevy resigns Stastny is if Little is traded , there isn't enough cap room for both .
If it comes to choosing between Statsny and Little there should be no question as to who to keep. Statsny over Little 100%

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
If it comes to choosing between Statsny and Little there should be no question as to who to keep. Statsny over Little 100%
Except Little is signed for 6 more years with a full NMC and Stastny is a pending UFA you will have to out bid the market for and will likely want considerably more than the $5.291 Little will be making.

Reactions: Jack722

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Except Little is signed for 6 more years with a full NMC and Stastny is a pending UFA you will have to out bid the market for and will likely want considerably more than the $5.291 Little will be making.
Does the Little contract kick in July 1? He could be traded prior to July 1?

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto

I could see him being traded in 2-3 years. He'll be useful until that point - I believe this year was an anomaly, personally.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Little isn’t going anywhere. It’s naive to think so after just signing that contract. What do people think Stastny is going to be if we resign him? Not aging and overpaid?

Reactions: GNP and Bigfish

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I think people don't realize how similar PS and Little are:

Last 4 seasons they have scored roughly the same number of points with Little having a bit higher rate of production:

StatsnyLittle
SeasonPointsPPGPointsPPG
Statsney17-18530.65430.52
16-17400.61470.80
15-16490.77420.74
14-15460.62520.74
Total1880.661840.70
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I mean why would you want to get rid of the younger and what will likely be cheaper version. Little's production this past season looks like an outlier to me when compared to his previous 3 seasons.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

Little's current contract that's ending has a 14 team no trade list.

His extension is NMC for years 1 and 2, and then a 14 team no trade list for years 3-6,

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Little's current contract that's ending has a 14 team no trade list.

His extension is NMC for years 1 and 2, and then a 14 team no trade list for years 3-6,

The Jets upgraded it to a full NMC if memory serves me correctly. He isn't going anywhere,nor would there be many takers for him anyhow after a down year.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
So Little’s NMC kicks in for 2018/2019 and 2019/2020. If the Seattle expansion draft happens in the spring of 2020 will he still be under his NMC until July 1 of 2020 or can he be left unprotected?

Everything is pointing to key arena being ready to host NHL hockey for the 2020/2021 season.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
This is not one of those 'no question' choices, like chocolate vs vanilla. It's more like a $37.5M hypothetical that requires a bit more thought.
-Check out their respective ages
-then check out a chart showing how productivity drops with age
-then check out how Paul's father, Peter Stastny, Petered out in his mid-thirties, keeping in mind that Peter was the better player and the more prolific scoring of that era
-then check out Little and Stastny's lifetime P/60 and see how close they are, keeping in mid this was a down year for Little and an up year for Stastny, especially the last half of it
-then look up recency bias
-then check out Andrew Ladd's contract with NYI and see how that's worked for them
-Oh yeah, then there's that annoying NMC, which Little will not waive, nor will he be asked to do so.

PS-I'll take chocolate, no question....

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
what i hope for and what's possible:
we trade
Myers
Perreault
we do not re-sign
Enstrom

i wouldn't be shocked if we moved Little. would be pretty surprised but not shocked if we moved Ehlers. this is based on his disappearance in the playoffs and that 1 game he missed due to being "sick"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad