Who will leave the bigger legacy: Sidney Crosby or Alex Ovechkin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I said it was the most important goal of the decade, not greatest. It was the gold medal clinching goal at home for Canada. Like it or not Canada is the biggest hockey nation there is. As such this goal is the most important. The USA may pass it one day but hasn't yet. What do you consider the "most important" goal of the last 10 years?

Even if one believes this exactly how much weight are we going to give a single goal in a single game out of 1184 games for any players career?

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Crosby will have the bigger legacy in my mind. Best player post lockout, best postseason performer by far, and better international resume by far. Scored the most important goal of the decade (golden goal).

In Russia and Washington Ovi will have a bigger legacy, but everywhere else its Crosby.

I don’t think so.

out of curiosity, what are you considering to be the most important goal of the 2010's?

Steven Toast

Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
Even if one believes this exactly how much weight are we going to give a single goal in a single game out of 1184 games for any players career?
It was only 1 part of my reasoning for Crosby having a bigger legacy. But yeah, huge iconic goals do impact legacies of players. The golden goal, Orr's cup winning goal, Yzerman's OT winner.

Simply put Ovi hasn't had a hockey moment as iconic as Crosby's golden goal. That matters when talking legacy.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
It probably depends on how high Ovechkin climbs on the goal scoring list, but Crosby has always been the better player imo. Sid has long elevated pretty average line mates to another level.

And as much as the goal scoring totals are big for Ovechkin, the championships Crosby has amassed and the golden goal loom large.

I say Crosby, unless Ovechkin surpasses Gretzky’s goal total.

Reactions: sanscosm

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
It was only 1 part of my reasoning for Crosby having a bigger legacy. But yeah, huge iconic goals do impact legacies of players. The golden goal, Orr's cup winning goal, Yzerman's OT winner.

Simply put Ovi hasn't had a hockey moment as iconic as Crosby's golden goal. That matters when talking legacy.

Fair enough I just think that overall resumes are more important.

For example Dionne is closer to Lafleur than many people give him credit for mainly due to team circumstances not actual individual accomplishments.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Fair enough I just think that overall resumes are more important.

For example Dionne is closer to Lafleur than many people give him credit for mainly due to team circumstances not actual individual accomplishments.

Hatfield

Jan 27, 2007
When this season gets cancelled and Oveckin's goals this season nullified, there's no way he's going to catch the goal record.

There’s no way they’re going to nullify stats accumulated after 85% of the season has been played.

Hatfield

Jan 27, 2007
When this season gets cancelled and Oveckin's goals this season nullified, there's no way he's going to catch the goal record.

There’s no way they’re going to nullify stats accumulated after 85% of the season has been played.

Petrouth

Its not my time
Apr 23, 2013
East York, Toronto

Idk, a lot of lists and videos of greatest goals has Ovechkins on the Coyotes high up. If not #1. Thats pretty good legacy wise and it is absolutely an iconic goal.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

I'd say any player who can challenge Wayne Gretzky's scoring record will be crowned with the best legacy. Sucks Ovi is going to miss these games this season due to CV, which won't help beat Gretzky. If Ovi surpasses Gretzky, then who's "The Great One"? I guess still WG. But Ovi will have to be dubbed "The Best One".

Zuluss

May 19, 2011
How iconic do you think Crosby's "golden goal" is for an American?
Canada is not that big of a country population-wise. Maybe Canadians will love Crosby for a long time because of that goal, but other nations will either not care or maybe even hold a grudge, don't you think?

Reactions: DenOnde

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Summit Series 72. Very famous goal. Many Canadians think Henderson should be in the HOF for that goal alone.

I'm a 90s kid so I guess just doesn't register with me at all. I remember 02, 06, 10, 14 olympics. SC Finals. That sort of thing.

Canada is not that big of a country population-wise. Maybe Canadians will love Crosby for a long time because of that goal, but other nations will either not care or maybe even hold a grudge, don't you think?

A grudge is still publicity.

Hatfield

Jan 27, 2007

No one really cares though. Canada was a juggernaut that was supposed to win that year. Crosby did not have a great tournament but was in the right place at the right time to score the winner. It’s a nice thing for his career highlight reel but it’s not on the same level as Henderson or Eruzione.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I'm a 90s kid so I guess just doesn't register with me at all. I remember 02, 06, 10, 14 olympics. SC Finals. That sort of thing.

Right. This kind of highlights what is "Legacy" and looking forward to what the fans will take into consideration. unless your a hockey history buff Henderson's iconic goal doesn't register in the now. Just like in another 60 years Crosby's Golden goal will not register with the current fans of the game. It is an iconic moment in our period of time but that goal will gain a lot of dust as time marches on.

Reactions: Petrouth

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Crosby, not very close either.

Golden Goal. 3 Stanley Cups. 2 Conn Smythe's.

Ovechkin is the greatest goalscorer ever but that doesn't mean he's a better player. I think the majority of hockey fans knows that Crosby is a better play than Ovechkin.

When you think about legacy, you are thinking of the big moments and I don't think there was a bigger moment in hockey than the Golden Goal for our generation.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
No one really cares though. Canada was a juggernaut that was supposed to win that year. Crosby did not have a great tournament but was in the right place at the right time to score the winner. It’s a nice thing for his career highlight reel but it’s not on the same level as Henderson or Eruzione.

He didn't have a great tournament but he rose to the occasion and scored the biggest goal.

Russia and Canada game was a total letdown after they made it seem so big. Canada smacked them 7-2 and both Crosby and Ovechkin were non-factors.

Hatfield

Jan 27, 2007
He didn't have a great tournament but he rose to the occasion and scored the biggest goal.

Russia and Canada game was a total letdown after they made it seem so big. Canada smacked them 7-2 and both Crosby and Ovechkin were non-factors.

I just remember Nabokov being terrible and the Russian coach refusing to change goalies when he started getting lit up.

The reality is that Russia had plenty of high end offensive talent but their D was very thin. They had no chance.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Isn't it ironic, don't you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad