Who will leave the bigger legacy: Sidney Crosby or Alex Ovechkin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NyIander

Feb 18, 2019
The discussion about who the better player has been going on for ages. As much as I am a massive Ovechkin fan, I think that Sidney Crosby is the better all around player. If I were to start a franchise back in '05, Crosby would be the centerpiece. With that being said, I believe that Ovechkin will leave a larger legacy to the game of hockey.

When comparing players, Sid has 12 individual awards in comparison to Ovechkin's 17. One of his 17 awards includes the Calder, which he took from Sid in their rookie year. When looking at Crosby's legacy, the only thing that separates him is the two extra Stanley Cups. However Ovechkin's sole title may be more meaningful than any of Crosby's considering he proved all of the doubters wrong and did it without the help of another generational player.

I feel that if/when Ovechkin passes Gretzky for all-time goals (the most important stat in hockey), there will be no doubt that his legacy is greater than Crosby's. That record is something that no one believed could be surpassed. The fact that it is even up for discussion is amazing in itself. It is a difficult debate to have considering their careers are not over, but I'm interested to hear your opinions.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
I do think if Ovy breaks the goal record it will be he who has the stronger legacy (even if Crosby has been the better player).

It should be noted in this the impact of Crosby having the 2010 golden goal though.

NyIander

Feb 18, 2019
Let me see how their careers end.

But Crosby just due to Canadian bias and worthless exhibition tournaments like the Olympics

I was going to bring up the Olympics in my post actually. That comparison is completely unfair considering how much of a wagon Team Canada is.

Herregud

Feb 7, 2010
Washington, DC
Crosby's Penguins as a team.
Ovechkin as a player.

Both may hit top 10 in points or end up just outside. Ovechkin, known for his shooting will likely finish top-3 in goal-scoring. Crosby, known for his passing/playmaking, probably will struggle to hit top 10 in assists. Even if both of them went down with career-ending injuries today, Ovechkin's already top-10 in his specialty, three goals away from 7th. Crosby's not in the top-25 in his.

History really doesn't care about "all-around". Or /60.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
i'd love to hear a specific reason from anyone who thinks it's Crosby what exactly he's accomplished as far as "legacy" goes that matches up to being the best goal scorer ever

Crosby will be remembered in the future but it'll just be as a generic really good player rather than for anything specific

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
i'd love to hear a specific reason from anyone who thinks it's Crosby what exactly he's accomplished as far as "legacy" goes that matches up to being the best goal scorer ever

Crosby will be remembered in the future but it'll just be as a generic really good player rather than for anything specific

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Crosby easily. He's just below the tier of all-time greats like Gretzky and Lemieux, and took over games and entire playoff series regularly for a decade.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
We really doing this again?

It's going to depend on who you ask and how long we are removed but when it's all said and done it's going to be very hard to not look at Ovechkin's career and not say he was the better player.

Embryo

LGR Check out my music.
Oct 7, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
www.youtube.com
Ovechkin has had way less help than Crosby and basically did it on his own to win the Cup....I Fleury was always better than Holtby, and Ovechkin never had an Evgeni Malkin (no insult to Backstrom) or anywhere near the depth the Pens have always had with Crosby during their winning years. It's not even close. No insult to Sid, either, he is an all time top 10-15 greatest of all time player, but legacy wise, Alex will be remembered more highly, imo.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
This discussion will be an all out war. Midnight Judges will be in soon. Then, Daver will come in shortly after. This type of discussion never leads to anything productive.

Why can't both be legends? Why can't both be top ten players of all time? It's impossible to pick one over the other.
Both can be these and are these, I also agree with your last point entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->