Who will leave the bigger legacy: Sidney Crosby or Alex Ovechkin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
Crosby may leave the broader legacy, but if Ovechkin reaches 802 goals (because let's face it, if he hits 800, he'll hit 802) he becomes the greatest goal scorer in the history of the game not named Gretzky. If he actually reaches 895, holy moley. Ovechkin would have the greatest individual accomplishment / legacy in NHL history, and would leave a record that would probably never be touched.

Crosby would have more stars in the sky, but Ovechkin would have the single brightest one.

So, maybe not quite an obvious answer.

Brucelenok

Aug 9, 2016
I don't understand how this still is an argument. It is Ovechkin and pretty comfortably. Better peak, prime (shorter but better) AND he has a chance to beat one of the hardest records of Great One. Even if he doesn't, he will be 2nd all-time in goals. Crosby never will do anything like that (be close to a Great one in assists or anything of this sort)

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Crosby may leave the broader legacy, but if Ovechkin reaches 802 goals (because let's face it, if he hits 800, he'll hit 802) he becomes the greatest goal scorer in the history of the game not named Gretzky. If he actually reaches 895, holy moley. Ovechkin would have the greatest individual accomplishment / legacy in NHL history, and would leave a record that would probably never be touched.

Crosby would have more stars in the sky, but Ovechkin would have the single brightest one.

I know Gordie Howe has 801 goals but maybe you missed the fact that many people were calling Gretzky the best all time player before he passed Howe.

It's kind of funny how many upthread where saying that if Ovechkin breaks Gretzky's record then that will be why his legacy is greater than Crosby but now just being in 2nd place is going to do it?

Ovechkin already is seen by most people as the greatest goal scorer in history so if somehow he finishes with 800 or 802 isn't going to change that is it?

I think that we can forget about Ovechkin reaching 895 as we have already seen how the rest of his game has suffered while focusing on scoring goals, if he actually reaches 895 it might be as a real embarrassment as a player and something that really hurts his team.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario

nice answer!

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
I know Gordie Howe has 801 goals but maybe you missed the fact that many people were calling Gretzky the best all time player before he passed Howe.

It's kind of funny how many upthread where saying that if Ovechkin breaks Gretzky's record then that will be why his legacy is greater than Crosby but now just being in 2nd place is going to do it?

Ovechkin already is seen by most people as the greatest goal scorer in history so if somehow he finishes with 800 or 802 isn't going to change that is it?

I think that we can forget about Ovechkin reaching 895 as we have already seen how the rest of his game has suffered while focusing on scoring goals, if he actually reaches 895 it might be as a real embarrassment as a player and something that really hurts his team.
him scoring goals won his team a cup and he's still PPG, throwing out hits and is a decent playmaker. that has racked up division title after division title so how is he hurting his team exactly? plus he turns it on in the playoffs

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
him scoring goals won his team a cup and he's still PPG, throwing out hits and is a decent playmaker. that has racked up division title after division title so how is he hurting his team exactly? plus he turns it on in the playoffs

I'm talking about this season, which aside from goal scoring has very little positive about it.

He will be 35 next season and it's unlikely this year was just a blip for a player his age.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
I'm talking about this season, which aside from goal scoring has very little positive about it.

He will be 35 next season and it's unlikely this year was just a blip for a player his age.
it hasn't affected his team though is my point. they're still a powerhouse largely due to him

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
it hasn't affected his team though is my point. they're still a powerhouse largely due to him

They are a powerhouse despite him this year, his individual stats and play outside of goals is rather lacking this year.

We can agree to disagree here if you want but I doubt the trend changes next year although ironically when he has more secondary assists it will be fun to see daver pointing that out to MJ eh?:popcorn:

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
They are a powerhouse despite him this year, his individual stats and play outside of goals is rather lacking this year.

We can agree to disagree here if you want but I doubt the trend changes next year although ironically when he has more secondary assists it will be fun to see daver pointing that out to MJ eh?:popcorn:
agree to disagree

that would be pure comedy, 15+ page war

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
I think its just Hockey's Magic/Bird - its going to be debated regardless and their legacies will always intertwine so much that both will always be discussed when one or the other's legacies are.

There really is no clear cut answer and both may have their legitimate arguments, but the best part of it all is that together they leave one much bigger than the sum of it's parts

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
agree to disagree

that would be pure comedy, 15+ page war

Actually outside of goalscoring it's a slam dunk, his assist toal for a guy with his TOI and PP time is horrible, his plus/minus and loose puck battle rate is also pretty horrible given team context.

TeeTee

Apr 20, 2016
Best legacy does not equal best player. Ovi will be considered the best goal scorer, or in contention to be, but he isnt coming close to the complete player Crosby is. Not even close.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Best legacy does not equal best player. Ovi will be considered the best goal scorer, or in contention to be, but he isnt coming close to the complete player Crosby is. Not even close.

Crosby’s legacy will be the best player of his era and Yzerman / Messier’s “leadership” legacy but from age 18 on.

When we look back on this time period, unless Washington wins another couple cups. Ovechkin’s career will be looked at as a what if and Crosby’s will be looked at as loaded with championships.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Actually outside of goalscoring it's a slam dunk, his assist toal for a guy with his TOI and PP time is horrible, his plus/minus and loose puck battle rate is also pretty horrible given team context.
Words you can use to assertively say nothing at all. Elaborate on what team context is, please, because right now “context” seems to be the new “intangibles” where people use it to create/minimize separation in arguments when they need to.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Words you can use to assertively say nothing at all. Elaborate on what team context is, please, because right now “context” seems to be the new “intangibles” where people use it to create/minimize separation in arguments when they need to.

Team context is his plus/muns on a very good team where he is dead last which is indicative in his play with the eye test.

The loose puck battle was a graph I saw recently on sportsnet where Ovechkin was on the far side of that graph and it was the wrong side.

Context isn't new it's always there you just need to look.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
This thread went off the track. Instead of legacy, it's turned into "who's better", and the answer to that question, automatically answers the thread question.

Kawhi6God

Jun 14, 2019
Ovechkin is better at some things than Crosby but overall I think most people would agree Crosby is a better player

That being said when Crosby hangs it up what will we remember him for? The golden goal and maybe a what if - if he wasn't injured all the time. He's currently 32nd in all time assists, 39th in points and 56th in goals scored. He's an overall great player and will climb but you can't point to one thing about him that separates him from other great players.

If Ovy get's the all time goals record he will be considered the greatest goal scorer in the history of the game by many people. Legacy wise that will be much greater than Crosby because it will be a feat probably not replicated for a long time.

Comparing hardware Crosby has more cups but again the fact Ovy might have the all time # of Rockets won reinforces the greatest goal scorer legacy.

Not about talent but about legacy.

Reactions: tacogeoff

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Ovechkin is better at some things than Crosby but overall I think most people would agree Crosby is a better player

That being said when Crosby hangs it up what will we remember him for? The golden goal and maybe a what if - if he wasn't injured all the time. He's currently 32nd in all time assists, 39th in points and 56th in goals scored. He's an overall great player and will climb but you can't point to one thing about him that separates him from other great players.

If Ovy get's the all time goals record he will be considered the greatest goal scorer in the history of the game by many people. Legacy wise that will be much greater than Crosby because it will be a feat probably not replicated for a long time.

Comparing hardware Crosby has more cups but again the fact Ovy might have the all time # of Rockets won reinforces the greatest goal scorer legacy.

I agree. you have to look 50-60 years down the road when we talk about "Legacy" and not in the now. The Golden Goal was amazing for Canadians of our era but if some do not remember Henderson's goal from the summit series in 72" which was huge for that era then why would future fans take note of the Golden Goal?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

Legacy is about championships in every sports league. Sid also if the league trends as it is in scoring will likely solidify himself as top ten all time in PPG.

When we look back in 40 years at Crosby’s career even if he doesn’t do anything else. We will see him as the captain of the best team in his era who won the Smythe back to back and another cup where he scored 30+ points. Throw in the trophy case and the international success and it’s clear what his legacy will be. Best of his era.

Jagr is 2nd in points all time which is where Ovie likely finishes in terms of goals. Nobody thinks Jagr has a better legacy than the players immediately beneath him.

Reactions: wetcoast

Chris18820

Nov 11, 2018
I don't understand how this still is an argument. It is Ovechkin and pretty comfortably. Better peak, prime (shorter but better) AND he has a chance to beat one of the hardest records of Great One. Even if he doesn't, he will be 2nd all-time in goals. Crosby never will do anything like that (be close to a Great one in assists or anything of this sort)
You could argue Ovi will leave a greater legacy if he tops Waynes goal record but to say at this junction its 100% Ovi is foolish. The fact that you dont understand how its still an argument is a joke.
Ovi is a better goal score than Crosby but virtually in every other facet of the game Crosby is the better player and the advanced analytics make this clear.
I like Ovi a ton but I dont consider him a better goal scorer than Mario.

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
Crosby’s legacy will be the best player of his era and Yzerman / Messier’s “leadership” legacy but from age 18 on.

When we look back on this time period, unless Washington wins another couple cups. Ovechkin’s career will be looked at as a what if and Crosby’s will be looked at as loaded with championships.
Ovechkins career will be looked at as “what if” lmfao. I usually respect your opinion as a penguins fan but that’s pretty bad

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Ovechkins career will be looked at as “what if” lmfao. I usually respect your opinion as a penguins fan but that’s pretty bad

If he breaks the goalscoring record, it’ll likely change the narrative, but if he finishes behind Gretzky and Howe (doubtful but possible) and has no more team success it will 100% be a what if. When you look back at Ovechkin’s career it’ll be what could have been if he devoted himself to being a team player. I don’t agree with the narrative, but it’s pretty clear that will be the narrative. Kind of like Malkin’s will be what could have been if he was on his own squad.

One needs to look at how Brett Hull is viewed despite his ridiculous goalscoring numbers. And dude has two cups.

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
If he breaks the goalscoring record, it’ll likely change the narrative, but if he finishes behind Gretzky and Howe (doubtful but possible) and has no more team success it will 100% be a what if. When you look back at Ovechkin’s career it’ll be what could have been if he devoted himself to being a team player. I don’t agree with the narrative, but it’s pretty clear that will be the narrative. Kind of like Malkin’s will be what could have been if he was on his own squad.

One needs to look at how Brett Hull is viewed despite his ridiculous goalscoring numbers. And dude has two cups.
Imagine calling Alex Ovechkins career a “what if”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad