Who will bust from 2018 NHL Draft

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm a Hawks fan wishing for the best for Boqvist, but even I'll admit the kid got two concussions last year. It sucks and I'd rather it didn't happen, but other players have had hugely successful careers despite multiple concussions in the year leading up to the draft. Hell, I'm pretty sure Toews had a few before he was drafted 3rd in 2006. It's not always a sign of bad things to come.

There's no reason to try to admit something you don't know happened.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
There's no reason to try to admit something you don't know happened.

Logic is clearly not your strong suit.

If a false rumour is going around that may damage your draft stock and you can correct it with a simple statement from your team doctor, you have every incentive to do so. Yet you think there is no reason to do so.

On the other hand if the rumour is true and he is at increased risk of further concussions you expect a team spokesman to publicly confirm it and therefore put a big red target on Boqvist in games. You think *this* is the probable scenario.

This is utterly bizarre thinking.

Reactions: NJ DevLolz

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Logic is clearly not your strong suit.

If a false rumour is going around that may damage your draft stock and you can correct it with a simple statement from your team doctor, you have every incentive to do so. Yet you think there is no reason to do so.

On the other hand if the rumour is true and he is at increased risk of further concussions you expect a team spokesman to publicly confirm it and therefore put a big red target on Boqvist in games. You think *this* is the probable scenario.

This is utterly bizarre thinking.

I find it so transparent what you are trying to do here.

“My team picked another small-ish defenseman early in the draft. I should try to destroy the other guy with rumors to give credence to my team’s selection”

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I find it so transparent what you are trying to do here.

“My team picked another small-ish defenseman early in the draft. I should try to destroy the other guy with rumors to give credence to my team’s selection”

It’s pathetic that that is the conclusion you come to while ignoring the cold hard logic staring you in the face. Of course ad hominems like this are basically an admission that your position is weak and you need to find a new angle. It’s annoying as hell but I do get it.

I don’t have any reason to run down Boqvist. I like the kid and hope he does well. It doesn’t hurt me any if he does well, it only hurts me if Hughes doesn’t. And I don’t think I’ve mentioned or defended Hughes once in this thread. Hell most of my posts in the Hughes thread are to criticize other Canuck fans for acting like 10 year old fanboys about Hughes and Pettersson. But you can see how transparent I’m being, right?

Not everyone in these threads and lives in a logic-defying bubble just to win some meaningless pissing contest with fans of other teams. You clearly do, and I hope it’s more fulfilling than it appears.

Last edited:

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Lol this thread turned sour so fast.

How does saying Boqvist has had a concussion equal Canuck fans attacking other teams players in order to make their prospect look better. Those are just facts. Its as close to a sure thing as you can get without literally asking his doctor. Just put your ego aside and admit that you are wrong. You are going to take this to the grave aren't you.

Reactions: Killerjas

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Lol this thread turned sour so fast.

How does saying Boqvist has had a concussion equal Canuck fans attacking other teams players in order to make their prospect look better. Those are just facts. Its as close to a sure thing as you can get without literally asking his doctor. Just put your ego aside and admit that you are wrong. You are going to take this to the grave aren't you.

Some of you want to go after Boqvist. There was a guy last year who non-stop was claiming Patrick sucked to help out Petterson's perception. This is what a number of fan bases are known for doing. Look above. The Edmonton fans agrees with it, and claims you guys are going after Bouchard. I haven't went through the posts to be sure, but I wouldn't doubt it. Your fan base is known for these types of things, although its mostly recent times. The last couple of years its gotten pretty bad.

If you want to go after Boqvist, go after his game. Don't throw a rumor out there, and try to say thats a reason he'd bust. It really does seem strange that a number are convinced he could bust because of this theory that he had two concussions, yet no one who would actually be reliable on the subject has confirmed it. And if he had two concussions, why is the Chicago team doctor clearing their team to select him 8OA? In fact, go back to the predictions pre-draft. Many had Boqvist falling outside the top 10. He went earlier than expected. Maybe, and this is just a wild theory, maybe the air chair GM's aren't qualified to play Medical Expert and diagnose him with two concussions.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Some of you want to go after Boqvist. There was a guy last year who non-stop was claiming Patrick sucked to help out Petterson's perception. This is what a number of fan bases are known for doing. Look above. The Edmonton fans agrees with it, and claims you guys are going after Bouchard. I haven't went through the posts to be sure, but I wouldn't doubt it. Your fan base is known for these types of things, although its mostly recent times. The last couple of years its gotten pretty bad.

If you want to go after Boqvist, go after his game. Don't throw a rumor out there, and try to say thats a reason he'd bust. It really does seem strange that a number are convinced he could bust because of this theory that he had two concussions, yet no one who would actually be reliable on the subject has confirmed it. And if he had two concussions, why is the Chicago team doctor clearing their team to select him 8OA? In fact, go back to the predictions pre-draft. Many had Boqvist falling outside the top 10. He went earlier than expected. Maybe, and this is just a wild theory, maybe the air chair GM's aren't qualified to play Medical Expert and diagnose him with two concussions.

We didn’t throw out the rumour. NHL scouts did.

Why is denying this so important to you?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
We didn’t throw out the rumour. NHL scouts did.

Why is denying this so important to you?

Actually, I never denied that, so maybe you should check what I said. Mark Edwards, who posts here, is not the same as someone with the team, the player or someone within the player's entourage confirming it. Thats nothing against Mark.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Actually, I never denied that, so maybe you should check what I said. Mark Edwards, who posts here, is not the same as someone with the team, the player or someone within the player's entourage confirming it. Thats nothing against Mark.

You misunderstand. I’m asking why denying this rumour is so important to you? You’re ping ponging from one wild theory to another with a level of desperation that is hard to understand.

And Mark obviously heard the rumours from NHL scouts, given that’s who he associates as evidenced by the hundreds of NHL Scout quotes posted in his draft yearly guides.

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
Seriously, every single Canucks fan picking Bouchard. Lol

But their itty bitty Dman is a sure thing.
Ah, wrong. Lots of posters in here who aren’t Canucks fans are voting Bouchard.

But I would say that Hughes is about as close to a sure thing as they come. Sure, he’s a bit smaller, but makes up for that with his high IQ, and insane skating ability. He’ll make it just with his skating alone. There’s a reason why he has been getting so much praise lately, from players and analysts alike. Have you seen any of his recent videos or games? At all? You’d understand

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
Hughes isn’t all that safer than Bouchard IMO. You could make the argument that Hughes played in the best league, which is a good sign, but no guarantee. They both have flaws. I think that’s what makes this draft so interesting.

I am gonna say I think Dobson has higher than expected bust potential. I don’t think he’s as safe as people like to think either. He’s so static in the offensive zone, never moving. I don’t think he busts like never in the league, more likely never more than a defensive stalwart, but he could bust altogether too.

Boqvist has high bust potential. Even ignoring the concussion rumours, he just hasn’t produced outside of international play, there’s just an element of the unknown there in many respect. He’s going to be very interesting to watch.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
That itty bitty Dman would skate circles around Bouchard...

And I’m not a Canucks fan.

His muffin shot is nowhere near Bouchard's though. They bring different strengths and both need to work on their defensive game.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
That Krav Russian player the rangers took. They were better players on the board. They should get rid of slats.
I didn’t want Kravtsov at the draft (had him 11th) but I was even saying he had potential to be the 2nd best forward in the draft. Kid has unreal upside, Slats isn’t even our GM

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
That Krav Russian player the rangers took. They were better players on the board. They should get rid of slats.

d6f.jpg

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
There aren’t concussion rumors surrounding Boqvist, he’s stated himself in the media that he had 2 of them last season even before getting a third at U18.

So all you have to hope for is:
  • He learns how to defend
  • He finds his offence at higher levels
  • He puts on another 10kg/22lbs(if he tops out at 183cm/6”)
  • He doesn’t get more concussions
Then you’re cooking with gas.

Reactions: Lays

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
There aren’t concussion rumors surrounding Boqvist, he’s stated himself in the media that he had 2 of them last season even before getting a third at U18.

So all you have to hope for is:
  • He learns how to defend
  • He finds his offence at higher levels
  • He puts on another 10kg/22lbs(if he tops out at 183cm/6”)
  • He doesn’t get more concussions
Then you’re cooking with gas.

Post a link then. So far, a lot of people claim this yet they are unable to produce any confirmation.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
Q&A: Adam Boqvist talks development camp, dyslexia and adjusting to North America Q&A: Adam Boqvist talks development camp, dyslexia and...

Money quote:
SP: Your agent mentioned you were open with NHL teams about your concussion history. Was that important to you to share that information?
Boqvist: I don’t know. I try not to think about the concussion, just play the game. Of course when you have the concussion, you think about it. I don’t know.

Reactions: CanaFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad