Who will bust from 2018 NHL Draft

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
I'm going to go way out there and say that relative to draft position I think Dahlin will "bust". I just haven't been impressed with him to justify all the hype and hoopla and think it's very likely that at least 1-2 other D that went in the 1st round will be better than him.

You are indeed going way out there. What are you missing when he’s been the best player on the ice at U18, U20, SHL at 17?

Buffalo can screw this up by stapling him to the left side, but barring injury there’s no way he doesn’t qualify for his pension.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Seriously, every single Canucks fan picking Bouchard. Lol

But their itty bitty Dman is a sure thing.

He sure is ;)

Quinn Hughes.

:)

First round busts: Hayton, Bouchard, Denisenko, Kupari, Merkley, Miller, Johansson, Bernard-Docker, Beaudin, Sandin

Not busts but second half of the league players: Tkachuk, Hughes, Wahlstrom, Dellandrea, Farabee, Kaut, Goudy, Lundestrom, Lundkvist

Top half of the league players: Dahlin, Svechnikov, Kotkaniemi, Zadina, Boqvist, Kravtsov, Dobson, Smith, O'Brien, Bokk, Veleno, Alexeyev

Have you seen him play?

Think it might be time to slide Hughes and Tkachuck up a tier and a few of the other guys down ;)

Tkachuk looked like an absolute force in the game against Canada. It's really hard seeing this kid become a disappointment.

Pretty bang on prediction here

Last edited:
Reactions: Rayquaza64

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
Kotkaniemi and Hayton, obviously. I have a soft sport for Merkley since i saw him play at Hlinka Gretzky cup and thought he was extremely talented. Hope things will work out for him

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Kotkaniemi and Hayton, obviously. I have a soft sport for Merkley since i saw him play at Hlinka Gretzky cup and thought he was extremely talented. Hope things will work out for him
Weird timing to mention Hayton and KK as they both start to come into their own in the NHL and appear to be safe bets for the top 6.

Right now, Kravtsov and Wahlstrom stick out, but so much can change and 2 years post-draft is still too early to gauge things like this.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Weird timing to mention Hayton and KK as they both start to come into their own in the NHL and appear to be safe bets for the top 6.

Right now, Kravtsov and Wahlstrom stick out, but so much can change and 2 years post-draft is still too early to gauge things like this.
Kravtsov is really holding up his end of the bargain lately in the KHL to not be on the bust list. Really has improved at both ends of the ice. Can't really comment on Wahlstrom since I haven't really followed him much this year.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Kravtsov is really holding up his end of the bargain lately in the KHL to not be on the bust list. Really has improved at both ends of the ice. Can't really comment on Wahlstrom since I haven't really followed him much this year.
You're right, he's managing to put together a good season in a men's league. I certainly wouldn't categorize ANYONE from that draft as a bust yet. Based on his skill, I certainly see a future for him in the NHL. Here's hoping.

Even though Kravtsov often plays RW, I'm salivating at a Kravtsov-Chytil-Kakko line. I'm very saddened to hear of Chytil's injury, but that's for another thread.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I don't think you can actually say Filip Johansson will bust because the expectations were so low the minute he was drafted.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
lol obviously. Kotkaniemi/Armia/Toffoli early on, is a top 5 line for advanced stats - so i just matched your ludicrous hot take with some positive facts

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
In terms of top 2 round picks who aren't looking like NHLers/may not get contracts....

Johnny Tychonick from Ottawa looks very doubtful. Just zero progress over the past 3 seasons, doesn't seem able to cut it as even an average NCAA defender. Wouldnt be surprised if he doesnt get a deal from Ottawa.

Now for guys I haven't really seen, so forgive me if I'm way off base, but....:

Jay O'Brien is having a good season this year, finally, after what looked like 2 wasted post-draft seasons. If he keeps it up he should earn a contract, but if he falters, maybe Philly takes the compensatory pick?

Filip Johansson is an interesting one, too. Drafted by a previous regime, he's shown decent progress but maybe management would rather a late 2nd.

Albin Eriksson seems to have stalled. Maybe he won't get a deal?

Gabriel Fortier - seems like he's completely stalled. 8pts in 13 games in the Q for a 20yr old small forward is not inspiring. Seems doubtful that he will get a deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad