Who will bust from 2018 NHL Draft

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
To me that’s not a bust even though he didn’t “live up to his 5th overall offensive status he had coming out of junior”

Not really fair to call a player who averaged well over 15 minutes TOI/gp a 4th line player either. He was a high-end third liner.

At any rate 100+ playoff games = not a bust.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
5th overall in 93, over 1000 games primarily known for his PK and mainly a bottom six player minus a few years. One of the heart and soul players for Anaheim and even won a cup with them wearing an A.
20-35 point player usually with some outlier years.

To me that’s not a bust even though he didn’t “live up to his 5th overall offensive status he had coming out of junior”
Yeah, i think i'd call him a bust in a sense. Obviously he did become a useful NHL player, though. But getting a bottom line grinder who's great on PK isn't your ideal top 5 pick.

By my definition someone being a bust doesn't mean they can't become useful NHL players.

ObscureAlien

May 1, 2016
Everyone saying Bouchard have got to be trolling. His offensive instincts including passing and shooting are off the charts.

He will be on the point on the Oilers PP. I think he will pot 50 points as a rookie if given enough PP time.

Some of you really need to look at some of his highlights, he is a amazing passer. He is also a above average skater.

2018 NHL Draft Prospects: Evan Bouchard

what season do you expect to see Bouchard's rookie season?

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Yeah, i think i'd call him a bust in a sense. Obviously he did become a useful NHL player, though. But getting a bottom line grinder who's great on PK isn't your ideal top 5 pick.

By my definition someone being a bust doesn't mean they can't become useful NHL players.

The top 10 picks to me is the most overrated picks possible especially 4 onwards. Look at the drafts historically you get a lot of literal busts out of here. Getting someone like Niedermayer is I agree not to die for but far from a horrible pick or a bust.

To me a bust is someone like Scott Glennie who was horrible for what he was drafted and couldn’t even cut it in any capacity and most drafts only 2/3 players out of the top 10 have a meaningful impact

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
The concussion thing is not confirmed anywhere and the second thing you said is pretty funny if you actually believe that.

Okay and u18s lol, which is against Jr's. And there have been countless articles and tweets from reputable people that have confirmed his concussions.

And yes I know he didn't get proper ice time. But he hasn't proven himself above that level yet.

I don't mind Boqvist but those two are just facts

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Okay and u18s lol, which is against Jr's. And there have been countless articles and tweets from reputable people that have confirmed his concussions.

And yes I know he didn't get proper ice time. But he hasn't proven himself above that level yet.

I don't mind Boqvist but those two are just facts

If you can confirm the two concussions, post the confirmation. You can't. People here love stating that to try to disqualify him, but its not proven. So go prove it. Otherwise stop repeating something that you don't know is true.

There are only a couple of players in the past draft who've proven themselves above junior hockey. Its a pretty bad argument you are trying to make.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
If you can confirm the two concussions, post the confirmation. You can't. People here love stating that to try to disqualify him, but its not proven. So go prove it. Otherwise stop repeating something that you don't know is true.

There are only a couple of players in the past draft who've proven themselves above junior hockey. Its a pretty bad argument you are trying to make.

In not sure if your trolling or not. Its not a secret that he's had two concussions.

Draft watch: all of a sudden, Adam Boqvist is flying under the radar

‘On offence, he needs no coaching’: Adam Boqvist gives Sweden a second star defenceman in the NHL draft

Prospect Profile: Adam Boqvist

Just ctrl + f concussion on the article pages.

As for your second point Sweden's Jr league is much weaker than the WHL.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
In not sure if your trolling or not. Its not a secret that he's had two concussions.

Draft watch: all of a sudden, Adam Boqvist is flying under the radar

‘On offence, he needs no coaching’: Adam Boqvist gives Sweden a second star defenceman in the NHL draft

Prospect Profile: Adam Boqvist

Just ctrl + f concussion on the article pages.

As for your second point Sweden's Jr league is much weaker than the WHL.

I've seen all of that. Nothing confirmed by any doctors, the player, coaches. Just a bunch of speculation. Seems strange there's nothing on record about these two concussions. If they happened, why not get it on record?

I didn't claim Swedish Juniors isn't weak. I don't see your point. He gets downgraded because he didn't play in the CHL? He played in his home country, and did well. The Canadian players in the CHL played in their own home country. Who cares which is better? All of them are low level leagues that don't come close to giving the prospects an idea of what the NHL will be like.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
I've seen all of that. Nothing confirmed by any doctors, the player, coaches. Just a bunch of speculation. Seems strange there's nothing on record about these two concussions. If they happened, why not get it on record?

I didn't claim Swedish Juniors isn't weak. I don't see your point. He gets downgraded because he didn't play in the CHL? He played in his home country, and did well. The Canadian players in the CHL played in their own home country. Who cares which is better? All of them are low level leagues that don't come close to giving the prospects an idea of what the NHL will be like.

Lol im just saying there's risk associated with the prospect. Not saying he's a bad prospect, it's just facts. Just like how a player coming out of the bchl has risks but they can obviously turn into a good player.

I mainly responded to the dude who said he thought Boqvist would bust because of a gut feeling. He could have given a few reasons and I thought the ones I said were legitimate reasons.

As for the concussion thing I highly doubt multiple reputable sources are just going to blatently lie about his injury history. You aren't going to get news from his actual doctor commenting about a patient's medical history.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017

I've got no dog in this fight, but I'm not used to saying coaches or doctors publicly commenting on the injuries of a minor particularly when an injury could be of a sensitive nature. If a journalist who covers prospects for a living isn't considered a reliable source it's unlikely that you'll find another better one. This isn't a fair request.

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver
this is the first time I've ever heard someone call him "slow"
his skating needs work as he's average but he's not slow at all

as for busting, I think Kravtsov was picked much too high and won't fulfill expectations

sorry. For skating everyone calls him slow--he takes long strides and make him look faster then he is actually is. His turn around time from attacking to defence is not good

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
As for the concussion thing I highly doubt multiple reputable sources are just going to blatently lie about his injury history. You aren't going to get news from his actual doctor commenting about a patient's medical history.

I didn't say they'd lie, but sometimes untruths seep into the mainstream and are just accepted.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I didn't say they'd lie, but sometimes untruths seep into the mainstream and are just accepted.

It’s not just “the mainstream”.

I never like to hear the concussion word associated with any player, especially players I’d want to select high in the draft. The gap between Boqvist and Lundkvist shrunk quite a bit for me by season’s end.” - HP Scout, Mark Edwards

Hockey Prospect 2018 Draft Guide. Mark Edwards is pretty plugged into the scouting community and is obviously hearing the same concerns.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
It’s not just “the mainstream”.

Hockey Prospect 2018 Draft Guide. Mark Edwards is pretty plugged into the scouting community and is obviously hearing the same concerns.

I'm not questioning the work of any of these people, but Mark Edwards saying something is not the same thing as the player, a coach, a team, a doctor saying it.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I'm not questioning the work of any of these people, but Mark Edwards saying something is not the same thing as the player, a coach, a team, a doctor saying it.

But those sources will never “say something” publicly so you have to rely on secondary sources for indications. In this case Edwards is reasonably trustworthy because he a) Has access to people in the scouting community who would be in the know, and b) Has no motivation to fabricate or alter what he is hearing.

In my books it is more likely that Boqvist has had at least one concussion recently and there is some concern in the scouting community over this. If you choose to ignore this because you want a penned letter directly from Boqvists’ Doctor or something, then that’s your prerogative but it seems a bit head-in-the-sand IMO.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
But those sources will never “say something” publicly so you have to rely on secondary sources for indications. In this case Edwards is reasonably trustworthy because he a) Has access to people in the scouting community who would be in the know, and b) Has no motivation to fabricate or alter what he is hearing.

In my books it is more likely that Boqvist has had at least one concussion recently and there is some concern in the scouting community over this. If you choose to ignore this because you want a penned letter directly from Boqvists’ Doctor or something, then that’s your prerogative but it seems a bit head-in-the-sand IMO.

Many times you see injuries confirmed by a much better source than a journalist. The fact that none have confirmed it here makes it questionable.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Many times you see injuries confirmed by a much better source than a journalist. The fact that none have confirmed it here makes it questionable.

Edwards isn’t a journalist.

Who do you expect to confirm Boqvists’ concussions publicly? What is their duty to do so? Do they have one? If not, then what is their motivation to do so? Do they have one? Do they have a motivation to not publicize a 17 year old’s medical condition?

Conversely, has an official source ever come out and publicly stated that these concussion rumours are false? Has Boqvist himself? If they were false, would you expect that the team or player might have a motivation to clear the air, given that it might have impacted his draft stock at the time?

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Same difference. Journalist, prospect writer. I'm referring to a source closer to the situation.

Edwards is a scout himself and frequently talks to NHL scouts. He close to those who are close to the situation.

That’s a world away from being a journalist, which is a professional writer.

Again, what source closer to the situation do you expect to publicly disclose a 17 year olds medical history? If the rumours were false, why hasn’t a source closer to the situation publicly stated that he hasnt suffered any concussions?

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I'm a Hawks fan wishing for the best for Boqvist, but even I'll admit the kid got two concussions last year. It sucks and I'd rather it didn't happen, but other players have had hugely successful careers despite multiple concussions in the year leading up to the draft. Hell, I'm pretty sure Toews had a few before he was drafted 3rd in 2006. It's not always a sign of bad things to come.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I'm a Hawks fan wishing for the best for Boqvist, but even I'll admit the kid got two concussions last year. It sucks and I'd rather it didn't happen, but other players have had hugely successful careers despite multiple concussions in the year leading up to the draft. Hell, I'm pretty sure Toews had a few before he was drafted 3rd in 2006. It's not always a sign of bad things to come.

Agree. It’s not ideal but undoubtedly the Hawks would have thoroughly looked through the medical reports, weighed the risks with his talent level, and at the end seemed over the moon that he was still on the board at 8. I don’t see any point in arguing it on a message board - he has either had them (probable) or he hasn’t (possible but not probable). The outcome of our debates won’t have any bearing on the truth of the matter.

Reactions: CallMeShaft

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Regarding Bouchard, Skating and Defensive play are two things that can be taught. You can't teach IQ and Offensive skillsets that he has. That's why he went so high. If he is developed properly, he is a lethal D.

With that said, he went to one of the worst teams. Oilers are terrible at developing players. It's no secret at this point, so I can see some legitimate arguments that he busts. If he went somewhere like Nashville he would be a top pairing guy easily.

As for Oilers fans saying he isn't a bust as he will be a PP and bottom pairing guy at worse, IMO if he is a bottom pairing D he is a bust where he was drafted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad