Who will bust from 2018 NHL Draft

canucks4ever

Mar 4, 2008
Hayton. I would not say bust per se.. but will be a dissapointment for where he was picked.

Does not help either that the next 2 players picked was Zadina and Hughes.
Do you think Svechnikov is in his own tier among the forwards of this group, or are there other forwards that could potentially challenge him?

Peeps

May 24, 2017
Merkley just like DeAngelo just like Ryan Murphy. They are easy to predict.

I think Addison is a good bet to be a bust. He has nice tools for the offence, but even in the Summer Showcase he was still bad on D.

I think if Hayton doesn't become that Ryan O'Reilly/Patrice Bergeron type of player which mean at least 2C and 1C on a bad squad with PP PK time + 50 to 60 pts a year he will be considered a bust.

Same thing for Dellandrea.

Denisenko for me is already a bust. I hope he proves me wrong. Not a fan at all of Russian players. The individual type of play. Skills only player. Plus the Russian factor. I just ignore them. Except the one I feel are legit like Svech.

Foudy if he's not a 60pts producer year in year out. Or at the very least a 40-50 pts top 9 that can play anywhere with PP and PK. Like a Hyman. 18th ov is high for what we saw from him. Yes he is fast and have skills and IQ but I have my concerned in terms of him being seen as a good hockey player mainly because of his speed. Kinda like Grabner.

O'Brien and Kupari. I had doubt on him pre draft(Kupari). I still have them seeing him play against kids(Summer Showcase) and not being the better player of the game when he played against men all year.

For O'Brien it's a long term project. I like him. But it will take years. If he becomes that top 6 it' excellent. But if he doesn't, you just waisted a lot of year for nothing on a top 20 pick. Not fun.

Johansson by the Wild. I don't even know why he went in the 1st round. I just don't see it. Already a bust for his draft position. But he has the potential to be a top 6.

I don't want to do the 2nd round and more since after the 1st it's more obvious that it's almost all bust, but there's one guy I can't resist calling a bust.

Samuelsson at 32 by BUF. I don't know what they were thinking but this guy takes so much PIM it's just insane. He wasn't on my draft list just for that. I would have consider maybe in the 4th round. Because he has raw skill and potential. But jesus he takes so much PIM, it's just a no no for me. You don't win with PK after PK.

Vide

Mar 2, 2015
Aside from the more obvious late 1st round guys that has the highest risk of busting it'll be very interesting to see if any of Dobson, Bouchard or Boqvist busts. Wouldn't surprise me if at least one of them ends up not making it to the 200 NHL GP mark.

Reactions: VancouverCanucks36

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
First round busts: Hayton, Bouchard, Denisenko, Kupari, Merkley, Miller, Johansson, Bernard-Docker, Beaudin, Sandin

Not busts but second half of the league players: Tkachuk, Hughes, Wahlstrom, Dellandrea, Farabee, Kaut, Goudy, Lundestrom, Lundkvist

Top half of the league players: Dahlin, Svechnikov, Kotkaniemi, Zadina, Boqvist, Kravtsov, Dobson, Smith, O'Brien, Bokk, Veleno, Alexeyev

Samuelsson at 32 by BUF. I don't know what they were thinking but this guy takes so much PIM it's just insane. He wasn't on my draft list just for that. I would have consider maybe in the 4th round. Because he has raw skill and potential. But jesus he takes so much PIM, it's just a no no for me. You don't win with PK after PK.

Have you seen him play?

Last edited by a moderator:

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
As a HIFK fan i hate to say this but Niklas Nordgren is my bust candidate.

Nordgren got lower-body injury Chicago's summer camp earlier this summer.
Now there's rumors that injury is season ending and requires really major surgery.
If that's true it'll be very big step back for Nordgren's development.

Nordgren has fought with injuries now two straight summers ( 2017 and 2018).
Not good signal for Nordgren's pro hockey career and NHL dreams if repeated injuries begin to spoil the entire career before it even started run properly.

Last edited:

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I don't like to write off kids so early but, just from the way he speaks and carries himself, I'd be surprised to see Merkley succeed. As soon as I saw him interviewed, it was plain as day.

Of course, I hope to be proven wrong but that is one human being who lacks quite a bit of social intelligence.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
First round busts: Hayton, Bouchard, Denisenko, Kupari, Merkley, Miller, Johansson, Bernard-Docker, Beaudin, Sandin

Not busts but second half of the league players: Tkachuk, Hughes, Wahlstrom, Dellandrea, Farabee, Kaut, Goudy, Lundestrom, Lundkvist

Top half of the league players: Dahlin, Svechnikov, Kotkaniemi, Zadina, Boqvist, Kravtsov, Dobson, Smith, O'Brien, Bokk, Veleno, Alexeyev

I am not sure what the bolded means. Are you saying that you believe they will be NHL players but below average NHL players?

Reactions: Pixie and goosh

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
He’s going to be a solid NHL player

I wanted him so bad, and it stings that Ottawa grabbed him with the Rangers pick

He was one of those guys I was hoping Islanders might get at 41, ironically I also wouldn't have minded Jonny Tychonick who they picked at 48

Reactions: Karlstrobe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad